stripped threading in carb bowls

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

tjs5443
Site Newbie

stripped threading in carb bowls

Post by tjs5443 »

In the process of rebuilding my fzr i thought it would be a good idea to replace the butter soft screws that fasten the float bowl covers onto the carbs. Sadly, i got screws with the wrong thread pitch and wound up stripping the threads in the carbs banghead . I know it was a really stupid way to ruin an other wise perfect set of carbs but im wondering what you guys think. Should i be okay re taping the holes and getting the correct screws? Is it a bad idea to go bigger if need be? or should i just chalk it up as a stupid mistake and replace the whole rack?
I dont have any experience with this sort of thing so im not really sure what road to take.
DonTZ125

Re: stripped threading in carb bowls

Post by DonTZ125 »

Definitely try re-tapping. If the threads are destroyed, fill with JB Weld, drill and re-tap. It's not like these are structural members of the suspension ... :mrgreen:
fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by fzrbrandon »

Also, depending on how many were stripped, just know that the float bowl covers on the early FZR600s ('89 / '90) only had two diagonally placed screws (instead of four found on later carbs). So... assuming your float bowl cover o-rings are healthy, you can get away with only two diagonally placed screws per cover.

BTW, I replied to your PM...
Image Image

92 FZR600 - 3EN2 400 swingarm, Micron, DynoJet, Factory Pro, K&N, R6 shock, RT springs/emulators, R6 MC, Galfer, YZF calipers, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Zero Gravity

90 FZR400 - Sharkskinz, D&D, Sudco, DynoJet, Factory Pro, Ohlins, RT springs/emulators, JEM Machine, Woodcraft, NRC, Galfer, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Lockhart Phillips

89 FZR600 - Vance & Hines, DynoJet, Zero Gravity - sold in '91

http://www.fzrbrandon.com

!!! 400 & 600 Parts For Sale !!! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9971
tjs5443
Site Newbie

Post by tjs5443 »

going to go ahead and try to fix the threads. it's atleast worth a shot.
if i mess it up i think the $20 parts carbs should be all i need.
Busy with work for the next couple days but after ive had a chance to tear into them ill post back with the results.
tjs5443
Site Newbie

Post by tjs5443 »

Threads re taped and new (correct) screws installed.

The float bowl cover screws are m5 x .8 12mm by the way. I know i looked for that info and couldnt find it so maybe someone can benefit from it down the line.