Exhaust valves, where to buy em

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Rooster
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Exhaust valves, where to buy em

Post by Rooster »

So in a thread a few months ago I had a picture posted of buildup on my exhaust valves and I should have gotten someone to post the corresponding marks on the pistons which looked like polished circles. As it turns out as I'm going through the head for putting the engine together I noticed some resistance to removing the exhaust valves. Friggin bent all but the one lonely straight one and no I did not hammer them out all I did was work them out by hand. So If Yamaha in Canada does not list them where would the rest of the world find them? Help if you can I'm starting to get a bit sick of this previous owner abuse crap and may just save money and buy brand new bikes from now on. :(
Even a blind monkey gets the odd banana
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Re: Exhaust valves, where to buy em

Post by reelrazor »

http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Original part number 3GM-12121-00-00 was superceded to 4SV-12121-00-00 (YZF1000). Boats.net carries them for US$30.68 each (MSRP $40.94).

Ferrea lists two valves for the FZR1000 (and a variety of others), but with two lengths - 90 and 125mm! That requires a little more info, I think ... :headscratch:
Rooster
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Rooster »

That's fantastic I really appreciate the info thanks very much.
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

DonTZ125 wrote:Original part number 3GM-12121-00-00 was superceded to 4SV-12121-00-00 (YZF1000). Boats.net carries them for US$30.68 each (MSRP $40.94).

Ferrea lists two valves for the FZR1000 (and a variety of others), but with two lengths - 90 and 125mm! That requires a little more info, I think ... :headscratch:

The five valvers used two different lengths of valve in each cylinder. Either the 'center valve is longer or shorter, I don't recall exactly.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

That's the intakes - there are 2 exhausts, both presumably the same length ...
banner001
Site Newbie

Post by banner001 »

when i get mine back from being refaced (middle of next week) ill post up the lengths.

from memory all exhaust valves are the same length, and the 125mm length seems way too long, even for the middle intake valve...
Rooster
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Rooster »

So the stem on my exhaust valves are 4.5mm, the length is 90.5mm, and the the valve bottom is 25mm, does anyone out there have a 89-90 1litre engine they are parting out that has the valves that could be sold? If the lower part of the head was available that would be ok too, I'm just trying to find another option if it's possible to not have to drop another $300 on this engine it's already getting out of hand. Ferrea want's in the neighborhood of $400 and I may have to give up on this bike if engines are $600-$700 why did I even start rebuilding this one?
banner001
Site Newbie

Post by banner001 »

new valves will also require at least lapping, possibly need all the valve seats re-cutting as well.
Rooster
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Rooster »

Thanks for the heads up I was going to ask for suggestions on best practice for putting them back together
banner001
Site Newbie

Post by banner001 »

i have lapped all of mine in now, you need to do it until solvent doesnt leak around the valve face...and repeat x20 :D

then give it a damn good clean, you dont want any bits of lapping grit getting into places where it isnt ment to be.

at the same time, replace all of the valve stem oil seals for new and you wont be burning oil, if your engine was oil hungry before its a good bet that the seals are junk.
Rooster
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Rooster »

Too true, well I'm lapped and installed with new seals and am starting to sweat out the cam install now.