The XS1100 Winter Project has officially begun!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: The XS1100 Winter Project has officially begun!

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Alrighty then! I have had some computer issues the last few days, and once again moved the bike, but I have made some progress nonetheless. I now have Juggy and the parts bike side by side in the basement so I can determine where I want all the electrical to go on the frame. Ive got a stock upper triple on the way to my modking so he can make my upper triple. My headers came in. Theyre not pretty, but theyre straight and true. Plus I will need to get my midpipes chromed anyway, so I am planning on having it all done at once. I have 50' of black header wrap, but I dont think it would look right on this bike.

I stuck a set of bars on it just for shits and giggles. Its Busa clip ons and I plan on running high, fat dirt bars for sure, but it gives me an idea of where things will be. Just for fun I thought to throw on my brembo clutch MC that I have waiting to go on my FZR and I love it. It has a grey CRG lever that I didnt want to use on my FZR, now I know where its going. So in the interest of the buildoff, I am appropriating this Brembo radial cluch MC with CRG lever for the buildoff. Im going to install the one Ive got on my FZR for now since Im actually riding it. Then I am going to buy another identical MC and use the CRG lever on Juggy and a new lever for my FZR that is red.

I also ordered my bars. Renthal fat bars with titanium finish. I think they will look nice. Driven 1-1/8" risers are next on the list.

I also got my hands on a Nissin radial brake MC. Its a 3/4" from a 05/06 Kawi 636 and will fit the Busa 6 piston calipers nicely. And the best part was the price! I have started stripping it to see how its natural color is. if its not shiny enough, I will paint it to try and match the finish of the clutch MC. I will be repainting the lever, or actually probably powdercoating. I pulled the back clamp from my Ducati clutch MC that has a threaded mount for a mirror and it fits the Nissin MC fine, so thats my right mirror mount. Now I need to get one more threaded clamp for the other side, Ive seen them on ebay.

My swingarm pivot axle has been shipped off to modking to be lightly reworked. I have to have a small bit turned down and threaded. Otherwise it doesnt require much modification thankfully enough. Once I have that done, I can finish the left pivot mount. I am hoping to have a completed rolling chassis by the end of the month. I think I can accomplish that. Once thats done, most of the hard stuff is behind me.

Luckily, the swingarm fits perfectly centered as is. The left side is 30mm farther out, so I have to compensate on the left side, but not the right, and that basically equates to Ujoint clearance. The shock and knuckle mounts fit centered on the frame. Unfortunately a 30 year old frame isnt perfectly straight or square anywhere and it makes things a little tricky. But the lower knuckle mount is tacked and once I get my pivot axle back and get my pivot mount fabbed Ill be pretty much done with the rear suspension.

Got a few other parts ordered and on the way. most notably is the FJR1300 rear wheel with 180 Dunlop D208 tire on it. It will probably need a repaint, and I am putting new tires on this summer, but it should do nicely for the time being. Ill be stepping up to a 190 Pirelli Diablo Strada rear and 120/70 front. I have already bought the wheel, but I am currently bidding on a Hayabusa front wheel with tire from the same seller. It has another day left.

I am really hoping to have a rolling chassis by the end of the month. It will be a close one for sure!

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

had an interesting change in the build schedule today. As I mentioned before, I bought a stock upper triple to go to my machinist for dimensions for my custom upper. I was trying to come up with a use for it when he was done with it and I decided to have him mill out the clamp when he's done with it and I can use them for headlight clamps or whatever. That led me to the headlight mounting setup. Its the first time I really thought about it. I had just planned on making clamps or using those rubber grommet P clamps. But then I got to thinking about mounting signals and the fairing I want to run around the 7" headlight. Since most everything I am using for the headlight area is from a Ducati Monster, I checked out the bracketry involved and liked what I saw. I was originally planning on getting the headlight and fairing and all that later on, but since this setup bolts to the triple(from what I can tell, I need to see a S4r in person again), I needed to go ahead and figure out where it needs to be so the triple can be machined to accept the stock monster headlight mount. So in the interest of doing it right the first time, I went ahead and ordered all my headlight and front end ****. This will also really clean up the front end since there will be no need for any clamps on the fork tubes aside from the triple clamps

On the way we have:

Ducati Monster headlight bracket(the signal tabs are on the wrong way, they go out, not in)

Ducati Monster S4r Carbon Fiber fairing

While shopping for a headlight, I was snooping around on ebay and ran across a bunch of Delkevic stuff. It looks pretty nice, and the price seems pretty good too. And theyve got all sorts of ****, bodywork(bleh), lights, exhaust, and what seems to be a pretty nice OEM replacement wheel for the busa($only $160 new) and some other Suzis and hondas. I did a little research and the company is pretty big in the UK, but guess what- The US branch/store is like 5 minutes from my house and the weather is going to be nice again today, so I am going to ride my happy ass over there, take a look at the goods, and pick up this headlight:

And I already have a nice set of signals in my parts bin that should work nicely! So now all i need for the front end is a windscreen and a gauge! I am thinking a clear screen is the way to go, but smoked might look better depending on what I choose for guages
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

esterday when I went to pick up my headlight from the distributor, I was taking a look around at the big ass shop next door that they do their retail sales out of. This place is a giant salvage yard, used parts operation, used bike sales, and retail shop. And theyve got lots of odds and ends on had. I cant believe Ive never been to this place before. But anyway, to the point. While I was there, I found a set of risers that I liked that should work nicely and they were cheaper than on the internet, so I was happy. Then this morning my bars came in. I REALLY like the bar. I think it will look great with the fairing and it feels prety damn comfy. I mocked it up with the top clamp cover for the busa, but its kinda slanted and wonky. The final position will have the risers more upright, but I like the bars swept back just a little due to the really long ass tank on this beast.

I have been thinking about colors. I have decided to do the triples in black, the bar is a titanium color(matches the lower fork legs perfectly). I am thinking that I want to go with black MCs now instead of silver. And black controls and at least mostly black grips. I think it will provide the right amount of contrast, and also help break up the different shades of silver.

Last edited by mrfreeze5 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
painterjohn
Site Newbie

Post by painterjohn »

yeah i gotta seriously limit my time on this website.. Some old dude at the airport gave me an XS1100 just like this one. Its not frozen up.. Now i see this, and my welder is dangerously close to me at the momen... This is way to freakin cool... must.... resist... another... homeless... motor.. ccycle... project..

I know you got the rear wheel already, but there is a dude that makes a 5.5 x 17" wheel for the original Vmax.. I had one on mine and it was pretty cool lookin, just wanted to the stock look so i put the 15 back on. I bet that would work nicely on a project like this
I have a link somewhere... ill try to find it
to design a bike is nothing, to build it is something, to ride it butt naked at over 150mph with 2 mexican hookers is everything - Otto Von Lillintraup
haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

pretty nice progress there. you make me jealous
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

My pivot axle came in today and it fits like a freakin charm! I sent Modking the stock FJR pivot axle and the stock XS11 swingarm pivot stud. The stock pivot studs thread into the frame through the stock swingarm. I had him turn down a portion of the large end that has huge threads on it. He turned it down and rethreaded to M22x1.5 to match the frame. So now the axle threads into the frame and will support the weight of the swingarm while I make the other mount.

Now that this part is done, I can start fabbing the other pivot mount. That will consist of a heavily gusseted piece of probably 1/4" plate, threaded through to match the thread on the end of the axle(m18x1.5), and will then get the nut on the other side of the plate.

I also had a bunch of other parts come in today. My headlight mount is here, another triple tree, my rear wheel with tire. The headlight mount should work out nicely and I should be able to mount it to the triples without much difficulty.

The wheel will need to be cleaned up and repainted, and a new tire eventually, but this one still has some miles left on it, so it will serve the purpose until I can buy a new matched set. Its a 180 dunlop now, I will be running a 190 Pirelli in the end.

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

the axle will thread into the frame about another 1/8-3/16" or so and give a bit more thread. Should be a little extra, so I can put a cotterpin through it or safety wire it or something.
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Headlight bracket slapped together with the signals. The CF fairing should be here tomorrow I think. The headlight will probably sit about an inch or two higher than this I think, but not much more. I want the fairing and screen to hug the triple and bars and give me a nice little nook to place my gauges.

chefen2006
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by chefen2006 »

This is just so cool. You are a man with great ideas. I take my hat off for starting a project on a bike with trans axel. Keep up the good work.
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

I got the headlight mount attached to the triple today. Nice and easy and it will really clean up the look of the front end once the fairing is on. No clamps or brackets on the fork tubes. There's no adjustment really in this bracket setup, but I am pleased with where the light ended up and it should look really good with the small Monster fairing installed. I need to get some bolts for the headlight itself and of course paint the thing.

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

My CF fairing finally showed today. First thing I noticed is that my turn signals wont work with it, they hit in multiple places, so I need something with a longer, thinner stalk. I also need to make a tab for one of the mounts on the fairing. Im pretty happy with it overall. Still needs some tweaking, but I think it will do. I moved the bike to have more room to work on it and cant really get a good angle on the front, so this is the best I can do right now.

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

I got my swingarm pivot plate today from Modking. Its milled out of 3/8" steel and threaded through for the pivot axle. Im going to gusset and brace the hell out of it. I think it will do nicely. Ill have the monoshock mounting mocked up in the next few days too.

zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

I love watching your progress. Keep it up!
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Hmmmm.

Needs something. Lemme think...Oh!!!

Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

The FZR rotor is the right bolt pattern and size for the FJR rear wheel. Thats pretty much the only update Ive got. I need to build a frame jig to set up the swingarm pivot, its being more disagreeable than i had hoped. Most of the issues stem from 30 year old manufacturing tolerances. banghead