The XS1100 Winter Project has officially begun!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: The XS1100 Winter Project has officially begun!

Post by shredex »

FasterThanUr wrote:That sounds sweet.I've got a shaft drive project going too.Well it's been on the back burner for a while.
83 KZ1100 on a denvers chopper frame,open shaft :shocker
my buddies got a bopper one going. its only like a 250cc though.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

mrfreeze5 wrote:I think I have decided on the front end for this project. I really like this Emgo cafe/drag fairing, and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the price. It uses a 7" round headlight. I think this would look great with a big ole chunky FZR or YZF solo tail! I also think I am going to be painting the body white with black accents, but thats not set in stone. What do ya think?

MrF.
The one we used to ride had that fairing on it, good for style but did not keep the wind off me although the owner loved it but he was only 5'6"
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Im not terribly concerned about wind shielding and I didnt want to spend an arm and a leg on a headlight. I hardly even notice it unless theres a strong cross wind. I was planning on doing a single round headlight anyway, and this seemed like it would be a nice simple compliment to the tail. I think this fairing and the tail will give it a neat oversized look, and if it stops a little wind, then great.
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Ebay is the devil

2002 Busa forks and matching shock. Yep. Busa shit. On my Yami, I dont want to hear it. Look. Shinky! I hate ebay. :duh:

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

95FZR600 wrote:Nothing wrong with Busa parts on a Yamaha! Go for it. They look strong as hell to.
I know theres not, but I liked it when I had all Yamaha parts on my franken bike. But the Busa stuff is definitely more suited to handle the extra weight.

Oh I think I found my exhaust cans too! Just waiting to hear back on the details. Its gonna be a good Christmas in my house. Ive already gotten everything I wanted, or at least ordered and paid for everything I wanted.
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Until the Busa forks arrive...

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

95FZR600 wrote:Blast and paint the frame while you wait for Busa forks to arrive?

Cant do that. All this frame is getting for now is the battery box removed. As soon as I can get the parts bike(untitled, engine donor) unloaded from the back of my Jeep and get the engine out of it, I can use the untitled frame to decide how I am going to do the monoshock conversion as well as the subframe. I really want to make it a solo tail, but this will also be my distance bike, and would like to be able to carry a passenger for a nice weekend in the mtns, so I am trying to figure out how to pull that off too. But I am going to hack the shit out of the untitled frame to figure out what I want to do to the good frame, because the changes will be radical and I dont want to have to buy a new frame. And I cant even begin to design the changes until my swingarm and shock get here.

The frame is now in my living room so I can stare at it and get the great ideas that I need. I also wont the tank I wanted today on ebay. $45+shipping!

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Haha, i forgot to throw up the pics of the engine and donor bike in this thread :D

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

The frame now resides in the living room where it will be for a while. And when I need it out of the way, it can go in the kitchen. I pulled the G!D! center stand off. I swear that thing has been trying to kill me. I have tripped over it no less than 5 times and nearly killed myself everytime, so I am glad to see it gone, but I need to get it out of the house ASAP, I dont know what it will do on its own. I also pulled the battery box and a few ground straps. The ground straps look new, so thats a plus. I NEED to get the parts bike out of my jeep, but dont really have a place to put it, but I need the frame to hack up and get ideas for my monoshock conversion. I saw a pic somewhere of a GS I think with a monoshock and the frame was cut right where it turns down from the tank to the swingarm and there was a 4 "link" for lack of a better work shock mount. I cant find it now, but I am curious how strong this kind of setup would be on such a heavy bike and how it will affect overall rigidity. It would cleat up a lot of options for the subframe if I could do it that way. I am hesitant to cut the rearmost near vertical bar that goes between the swingarm and shock post. But the upper frame tube will be too low for the subframe I want to do i think. I wont be sure until I get my hands on the tail, but that will probably be a little while.

I just won the swingarm and assorted attached bits! Im getting the knuckle, axle, caliper, and brembo MC w/res. It has the same rear MC as the R1.

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Duc tail. Yup. Thats it.
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

I saw you entered the build off over at CF. I can't decide if I want to throw mine in or not. Not sure I'll get close to done.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Yeah, its motivation to get the thing finished faster and more effciently. Plus I love pic whoring my builds :D
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Today was a big day for the parts fairy. got my complete swingarm and assorted bits, Busa shock, tank, and busa forks. Suprisingly, the busa forks are even shorter than the R1 forks are by about 1-1/4", this is going to really lower this thing. Hope its not too much. Now that I can actually look at the tank, I LOVE it, I really like the color too. Kind of a gun metal blue metallic. I dont think the monoshock fabrication will be as bad as I originally expected, but the swingarm pivot mount is going to be a pain.

fzraudun
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by fzraudun »

:cheers:

Keep the pics coming!