Gear selection trouble

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

magsmagsmags
Site Newbie

Re: Gear selection trouble

Post by magsmagsmags »

Do i need to drain the oil just to have a look? or do i only need to do that if im going to be removing the oil pump?
ashtong63
Site Newbie

Post by ashtong63 »

magsmagsmags wrote: And also just to check, do i need to drain the oil before i remove the cover? or is it only necessary if i'm actually going to replace it
I'm pretty sure you can just lay the bike over on it's left side and remove the cover without draining the oil.
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

You will only lose an ounce or two of oil if the bike is on the sidestand and has sat like that fro 15 minutes or so.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
magsmagsmags
Site Newbie

Post by magsmagsmags »

sorry if i'm being dumb, but are you sure you mean lay it down on its left side?
is the clutch / gear assembly not on the left hand side?

I'm not trying to catch you out, i'm just checking
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

magsmagsmags wrote:sorry if i'm being dumb, but are you sure you mean lay it down on its left side?
is the clutch / gear assembly not on the left hand side?

I'm not trying to catch you out, i'm just checking
As yours is a 400 (I'm supposing 3TJ) it may be mildly different than my 600, but basic layout should be the same. Clutch is on the right side, behind the cover with the oil fill cap. To explain without writing a page on the workings, the clutch cable and shifter are on the left, but they have rods that go through the motor and work the clutch and the shift mechanism on the right side. In the picture I posted a few posts ago, if you look to the right of the clutch assembly, those gears are the starter gears that go under the "peanut" cover.

In a nutshell, yes, you should be able to lean it over on the kickstand without having to drain the oil, though I always change the oil after cracking the cases for any reason.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets