89 cases. Dowel pin?

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

89 cases. Dowel pin?

Post by coops »

Im fairly sure I didn't drop it and loose it when I split the cases. Im fairly sure there was never one there. Even though there is a spot for one, I wonder why it was never installed.
My 89 parts fiche shows no dowel, but 91 on parts fiche show a dowel. I don't entirely trust parts fiches from my experience, although the fzr fiche has been good so far.
Should I buy and install the dowel?
Any explanations appreciated. Cheers.
Rooster
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: 89 cases. Dowel pin?

Post by Rooster »

I would install one if it were me, my 89' FZR 1000 had all the dowel pins, maybe an assembly oversight? Has it ever been apart before? Maybe too many questions, at any rate the main cases on my 89' had all the dowel pins my clutch cover was short 2 pins but I figured on careless reassembly by PO.
Even a blind monkey gets the odd banana
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Dowel pins aren't fashion accessories, but rather are critical components for correct and accurate assembly. The bolt holes have way too much slop when it comes to something like preventing the lower case rotating relative to the crank and bearings.
coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by coops »

Rooster wrote:I would install one if it were me, my 89' FZR 1000 had all the dowel pins, maybe an assembly oversight? Has it ever been apart before? Maybe too many questions, at any rate the main cases on my 89' had all the dowel pins my clutch cover was short 2 pins but I figured on careless reassembly by PO.
The fact your 89 had dowel pin is good enough for me, which shows the first fiche mistake. the front dowel pin is not possible as the hole is in one case only.
I don't think the engine has been apart before.
It would be fine without a pin north south wise because of all the bearings but east west may be a problem. The bearing circlip would sort the rear part but the crank area....Fitted bolts.
Il just shove one in.
Cheers Don.
coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by coops »

JUST AN UPDATE
I purchased a dowel pin and did a dry run assembly without sealant and when I closed the cases with pin in, the clutch cover gasket face two halves didn't line up perfectly with each other (didn't measure but maybe .2mm difference) and the proud side wouldn't tap over with a hammer at all cos of the dowel pin. So I lifted the case a bit and pulled the pin out, dropped it back down and perfect alignment. So I didn't install the pin on assembly. The fiche is correct showing no dowel pin, and the manual doesn't mention a dowel pin.
Yes my cases show matching numbers top and bottom.
The pin must be there for certain machining operations but not for final assembly. That's my guess.
Just though id update if anyone was interested.