FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

rodsatheart
Site Newbie

Poss. bent frame

Post by rodsatheart »

Help !!!!
I need a favor. I think my frame is bent. :swear
I need the distance from the top front of the neck to the large main cross brace above the swing arm bolt. (appx. 1.25 diameter tube).
Should be around 27 13/16 (27.8125) inches or 706.4375 mm.
Went to test fit the tank cover and does not fit with the upper fairing bracket on. Top of frame appears to be short above the engine.
Installed engine cradle and they are low and forward of the rear bolt holes.
rodsatheart
Site Newbie

Re: Poss. bent frame

Post by rodsatheart »

Oh, and here's the kicker. With the bracket off the tank cover locating tabs are perfectly center and aligned with the cover. If there is a bend it appears to be forward of the locating tabs.
rodsatheart
Site Newbie

Post by rodsatheart »

Does anyone know what the rake is suppose to be on these bikes ?
rodsatheart
Site Newbie

Post by rodsatheart »

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Pictures of the front would help a lot in a situation like this. Also what is someone measuring? center on center from the the middle of the steering stem to the brace. Front to front, back to back, back to center, back to front etc... Specifics are helpful as is what bike you're even asking about.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
rodsatheart
Site Newbie

Post by rodsatheart »

Since I can't figure out how to post a picture, and don't have software for my phone on the pc yet we will try some art.
O-l
The o is the neck and the l is the cross brace.
Measure from the front of the o to the front of the l looking down the top of the frame. Mine is 27 13/16" which is prob. short.
I do have the wheel base now and will set up to check that when it warms up, but would still like to have that measurement for referencing.
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

If the engine is in, and the cradles aren't lining up, I would say it is either bent, or sagging.

Mine doesn't sag without the cradles. You can load the bike with just the cradle upper bolts in and see some flex at the rear mount holes, but that's about it.

And, that said, The measurement you are trying to verify/check will have miniscule difference from 'straight' to 'quite bent'. Prolly have to dive deeper towards x/64", or even x/124" to see the diffy.

It might be better to check from cradle upper mount hole to lower mount hole (hypoteneuse of the triangle the frame forms)
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
rodsatheart
Site Newbie

Post by rodsatheart »

Frame appears to be slightly more than 10mm short on top. Had a guy from Finland measure his. I know it can be straightened, but it is not financially feasible for me to do so because of where I live. Now the hunt for a good non-salvage title frame begins.