FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

RoadDogma
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Re: Picked Up an 89 FZR400

Post by RoadDogma »

So which one are you? :rofl:
Funny story... I'm the guy inside the clubhouse (off-camera), speaking to the author/photographer of the photo book,"Chicks on Bikes". I had been inside a few minutes when I heard a loud crashing noise and came outside to find my bike had just been dropped by chicks on my bike. (It still stings a bit thinking about the incident). I found some redemption hearing about the guy who ran up to my wife (she was posing on the back) and began accosting her with comments to the effect "do you realize how rare that bike is?" ...And some other female riders approaching me to make sure I was "okay". I had just finished swapping the front end, and was still in some form of denial. I responded, "Yeah, It's not that bad"... Another girl looked at me and was like "No, really, are you okay?" "Who were those girls?"...

In case anyone is interested: http://www.chicksonbikes.us/gallery.html
Nice! What front forks/tripples did you use? Please share...
I have '09 R6 forks in '05 R6 triple clamps. I used the "05 triple clamps to maintain the FZRs 35mm fork off-set. The later model R6 triples have 30mm fork off-set, and mount the clip-ons below the top clamp. I Had an FZR stem welded and turned down to fit the R6 yoke. The fork tubes don't quite reach the top of the clip-ons at stock ride-height, but it still works pretty well. I've also swapped in a 3TJ rear end and Penske shock. All in all, I am really happy with this set-up.
You're probably right, I'm on this side of the pond so I don't know much about the USA bikes
No doubt, that I've dispensed enough mistaken information around the web on my own.

I'm not really inclined to openly contradict you or anyone else in an online forum, but as a California Native it's hard not to recognize a little irony in this instance.
Last edited by RoadDogma on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
FZR400 (1WG): Purchased a perfectly good FZR400 with Yoshimura slip-on/EXUP, Yosh jet kit, Factory ignition advance, Racetech springs and emulators. It even had great bodywork. Like some diseased maniac I had to mess with everything good about that bike. Well, at least I have better brakes now.

FZR400RR (3TJ):Yeah, it's pink.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

Generally then ... The Genesis model dosen't have an exup.
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

RoadDogma wrote:Looking good!

That exhaust hanger was standard issue on the California (EXUP) 1WG models. I replaced mine with a pillion peg to take my girl for a spin one night, and found the mounting point on the exhaust to be in the same location for either one. I'm guessing you have a Cali model, and the EXUP system has been removed to fit the pillion seat

I haven't had an inspection required to register any of my bikes when (acquired in-state), so I doubt the lack of pillion pegs will be an issue. (Assuming the bike will be registered in the same state as the tow vehicle). Seems as though things are more stringent in the UK.

So, willandrip... Whats up with the 2TK?
The one in the previous pic was being suspended by the crane when the rear wheel swap was in the mock up stage.
I have another more standard one though;It has the stock silencer,just not fitted in this pic.

What is the score with the US Genesis models and single seats.?
Are you referring to the passenger seat cover only or the complete tail unit ?
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
RoadDogma
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by RoadDogma »

Nice... 2TKs are just plane cool. I know of a few 3TJs kicking around in the States, but haven't heard of any 2TKs. I have a 2TK tank cover that I've been tempted to fit on my bike, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want one of the aluminum sub-frames.

U.S. model FZR400s were limited to '88-'90 1WGs. All had pillions except for California. California models were equipped with EXUP systems for environmental reasons. The EXUP servo left no room for a pillion, so instead of a seat, they were fitted with the single seat cowl that was available as an accessory on the "49-state" models. All 1990 models received an upgraded Deltabox swingarm (looks like 3EN2) and 4-piston brake callipers.

I have a motor that was rebuilt in Germany with a 2TK bottom-end and gears. Any idea if the 2TKs received a lighter crank like 3TJs?
FZR400 (1WG): Purchased a perfectly good FZR400 with Yoshimura slip-on/EXUP, Yosh jet kit, Factory ignition advance, Racetech springs and emulators. It even had great bodywork. Like some diseased maniac I had to mess with everything good about that bike. Well, at least I have better brakes now.

willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Cannot help with the crank info;as you know the parts manual is virtually non-existant.
For the tank cover to fit and look semi decent, I believe you would need the solo seat and hence the alloy subframe.
A 3tj seat looks very similar and could perhaps be made to fit.
The front rubber strap is a TZ unit and readily available;a hook could be fabricated for the frame.
I believe the tank filler ring to be a specific unit though.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

I think the 2TK had a standard crank, but a close ratio box. When I say standard the engine was the base for the 3EN bikes but what was kept from Genesis to 2TK to 3EN I don't know.

I got a CD copy of the workshop manual, back when I had the two 3en2's. On it they had a picture of a SAC model (?) which was a 3en2. That's why I thought the California model was 3en2. I guess Yamaha bolted on the exup exhaust to the Genesis to get it through the emissions laws as it was 88-90 Yamaha would have been producing the 3EN's in Japan (88 / 89). Which CDI were they using with your bike ?
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
RoadDogma
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by RoadDogma »

Thnaks for the pic and info. My appologies to the OP for the thread jack...

I've been kicking around different seat and tail options if I end up using the 2TK tank cover. I have the front strap, but have considered adding tabs to the cover as front mounts. I have a spare 3TJ seat and could modify the sub-frame as needed. The filler ring may be a problem...

Yep, Yamaha would have been producing 3ENs and 3TJs, but all we got were 1WGs. 400s are a tough sell on Americans with no licensing restrictions.

Here is a pic of the ECU from my Cali bike.
It also had a separate EXUP control box with a 2TK number on it.

The non-EXUP ECUs look the same but have a different part number. (TID14-53A). I've seen documentation indicating different ignition curves, as well.

I want to run the 2TK gears in my 3TJ, as I'm not lucky enough to have the SP.

ZamboShelby
Site Newbie

Post by ZamboShelby »

RoadDogma wrote:Thnaks for the pic and info. My appologies to the OP for the thread jack...
No worries. This thread is kinda interesting now...
Shelby

- 1989 FZR 400 600cc swap
- 1993 FZR 600 Streetfighter

- 2013 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 One Million Commemorative Edition
- 1993 Honda XR 600R Street Plated
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Machining the back of a spare cap ring to make it thinner would go a long way to making a better fit for the filler ring
An easier solution would be an auxillary spacer like a huge ally washer but would detract from a clean look.
As you may know; the 2TK ally cover is not recessed as on other models.
There is also a bracket that bolts to the frame which supports the rear of the tank cover and fixes the front of the seat.
I have yet to find one;both were missing on mine so a Mcguyver was required !
A front bracket/clip for the strap that bolted to the frame would be much easier to fabricate and would still allow the relatively quick removal of the cover.

By "exup control box" do you mean the servo motor ?
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

I think the 1WG 2TK gears are slightly lighter loading than the 3TJ's. The close ratio box is only of real use if you're racing and then it's better for longer races. The high first gear takes longer to launch so you'ii might probably get mugged into the first corner.
Changing the sprokets is a better option.
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
RoadDogma
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by RoadDogma »

Thanks for the input guys. My thoughts were to put a T-Cat top-end on the 2TK bottom-end and install the resulting 489cc into my 3TJ. (I have no plans to put it on the street).

This is what I mean by "EXUP Control Box":

Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

I'd have put the TCat top end onto the 3tj but once you've cut the barrels down (?) You might as well put the TCat engine in the 3TJ frame.
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

The big difference is the trigger pattern on the rotor - the YZF has a completely different pattern of teeth vs the FZR, and would require the use of the YZF TCI. Also, due to a slightly different taper, the YZF rotor cannot be mounted on the FZR crank (and vice versa). If RD wants to use the FZR TCI, he has to use the FZR bottom end.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

That's why I said to use the engine.
I think the 3tj crank is similar to the TCat and Foxeye. The 1wg and 3he cranks seem to be sightly shorter on the generator side although the tapper looks the same, the oil seal is different too, but thats all academic.

For a 3tj its easier to swap the engine, all you need are carbs, downpipes, loom, cdi, head mount plates and cut / shut the airboxes
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Actually, I sell an adaptor to plug the YZF box into the FZR harness; saves you the trouble of replacing the entire harness and all the anciliaries and auxiliaries. For the 13-pin connector on the 3TJ box, you'd have to give me a few weeks.