Housing an RFID

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Housing an RFID

Post by thatkid »

I had a customer who wanted an RFID installed on his old Kawi Z1B. Well, I can't just mount the silly little plastic thing and call it good.

I started with this

And finished it up with this. I had to mill his bolt head down as it was a rounded top and drill it for the cable.

The small spacer is counter sunk for the screws so they don't get in the way of the steering stem bolt and the screws secure the RFID into the housing for a nice flush fit. The bottom of the housing is a press fit over the stem nut and holds securely in place.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: Housing an RFID

Post by ragedigital »

That turned out great! It's fun creating with metal.

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
JasonRDfan
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by JasonRDfan »

Wow, very nice! How fancy is that? I've been very old school on everything I do. It's taken me along time to embrace modern technology. The newest bike I own is a 92. Very nice work.
92 fzr600 Vance & Hines edition, galindo f1 grips, Vance & Hines super sport complete exhaust, oem clutch with Vance & Hines springs, Piaa horn, Hella headlight, Vance & Hines power pak, passenger seat cowl, 07 r6 regulator, ballistic evo2 8 cell, JT 14 tooth sprocket, Joe Florida sportbike multi-color led kit, galindo bar ends,
JasonRDfan
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by JasonRDfan »

Oh crap, I forgot. I wanted to thank you for sharing. It helps motivate and gives me new ideas. Thank you very much :)
92 fzr600 Vance & Hines edition, galindo f1 grips, Vance & Hines super sport complete exhaust, oem clutch with Vance & Hines springs, Piaa horn, Hella headlight, Vance & Hines power pak, passenger seat cowl, 07 r6 regulator, ballistic evo2 8 cell, JT 14 tooth sprocket, Joe Florida sportbike multi-color led kit, galindo bar ends,
Conrad
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Conrad »

awesome custom work
'88 FZR1000 Genesis
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Thanks guys. The bike it went on was a 75. I threw the idea out there because of all the other stuff he wanted upgraded and he decided to go for it. Then it came down to where to mount it and blend it with the bike.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

??Explain?

RFID for what?

Theft tracking?

Or as the ignition 'key' ?
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
KaspenOne
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by KaspenOne »

reelrazor wrote:??Explain?

RFID for what?

Theft tracking?

im thinking the same thing, what ever it is , it looks cool good job
Sal Co-Owner of SisBro Motowerkz, Santa Maria
Pacific Coast Riderz -Vice President- Santa Maria Chapter
1996 Yamaha Fzr 600
UNI Air Filter, FP 1.0, R6 header danmoto exhaust,
Orbit Chain 530 with JT Sprocket Set -1 front/+2 rear
Racetech Front suspension
Bridgestone BT-014 120/70/17 & 150/60/18
http://www.facebook.com/Salvador.Leal.Jr
http://www.youtube.com/user/KaspenOne
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacific-C ... 9453630808 & http://www.facebook.com/pcr805
Rooster
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Rooster »

Sorry but being 40 this year my knowledge is sometimes limited about the latest technology so I ask the same question what is an RFID? Is it like the newer car key remote devices where just being within a few feet allows you to start the bike without a key? Just want to know what the application is cause it looks awesome and it could be a mod many people want to do instead of having keys sliding around on the paint.
Even a blind monkey gets the odd banana
Rooster
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Rooster »

Radio Frequency Identification Device = how to start without a key. I googled it sorry for the last post shoulda gone to google first
Even a blind monkey gets the odd banana
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

reelrazor wrote:??Explain?

RFID for what?

Theft tracking?

Rooster is right. It's for the Ignition. Swipe the "card" if you will over the black circle and it turns everything on like the key would if it were turned. Then just hit the start button.
Do YOU Scopper?

reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

Okay, cool...that explains the wiring loom on the unit

I was weirded out a little, because we(our shop) uses RFID tags for inventory control/tracking. They are disposable, about the size of two postage stamps side by side, have no wiring and can be radio queried, OR satellite tracked, and they are less than a buck a unit...

Does he have to swipe or can it be set up so that proximity will do it (like high end car key fob/RFID) ?
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

reelrazor wrote:Okay, cool...that explains the wiring loom on the unit

I was weirded out a little, because we(our shop) uses RFID tags for inventory control/tracking. They are disposable, about the size of two postage stamps side by side, have no wiring and can be radio queried, OR satellite tracked, and they are less than a buck a unit...

Does he have to swipe or can it be set up so that proximity will do it (like high end car key fob/RFID) ?
It has to be swiped or held there for a second. It has a proximity of about 4" I think it was with the main chip. You can buy a little glass tube version that is about 3/8" long that you could sew into a glove or jacket cuff and always have your key on you when you wear your gear, but that one only has a range of about an 1".
Do YOU Scopper?

MOzarkRider
Site Newbie

Post by MOzarkRider »

Using an RFID ignition device was brought up on another forum recently and sparked a similar small discussion. I have some experience with these RFID's If done correctly it is an excellent use of new technology. Some can have a range up to 10 feet, most are only a few inches. The discussion on the other forum was how to implement this on your bike. Basically you would tie the RFID into the main power. So when the tag came into the appropriate distance of the bike it would turn on the main power and you could just hit the start button and go. The questions arose about the distance you need to be able to read the chip from. A general consensus was that you would need a distance of 5 foot to be affective on your motorcycle. 5 feet would allow you to sit on the bike with your key/RFID tag in your pocket and supply a sufficient signal to keep the motorcycle started and not cut out from loosing the RFID signal. I like the idea but am not sure how much it would cost to get a receiver and key/tag to make it work.
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
94' Yamaha FZ600
92' Yamaha Seca II
93' Yamaha Seca II
Brian
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Did anyone get the original pictures?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien