FZR600 Newb needs help with a starting problem...

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Nsteerz
Site Newbie

FZR600 Newb needs help with a starting problem...

Post by Nsteerz »

Hello All,

My name is Nick and I am from southeastern MI, USA. I purchased my 1994 FZR600R in late March. My first bike was a 92 Yamaha Seca II (XJ600 Diversion) that I had 2 summers ago.

It has approx. 20k miles on it and I picked it up for $1350. It has ran fine thus far, although it does have a sticky starter if you're not careful but it usually starts just fine.

Well, just last week I planned on going for ride and started it and everything seemed normal. However as soon as I got approximately 1/2 mile from my place, it started bogging and almost like it was running on 1 or 2 cylinders (kind of like a moped). It soon stalled out. It would not start right away so I let her sit for a few minutes and then tried again with the choke. It started but I only got out of the parking lot and a tad farther until it died for good and I wouldn't get it restarted. The next day I was able to jump it and ride home, however it stalled again on the way home and a quick jump got her going again.

While I realize this may sound like a battery problem, it was cranking strong (sounded normal) but would not turn over. I went out and tried to figure out what it could've been today and took fairings and airbox off so I could take a good look at the engine and carbs. Carbs we're very clean and the airbox looked brand new. I think it could possibly be the plugs however I am currently without the correct socket for the plugs (I seafoamed the gas recently, however I know it was the correct amount). Additionally, I found what looks to be an additional/aftermarket fuel pump (I think), so it got me thinking this may have gone.

I am excited to become interested and learn all about FZRs on here (I have already browsed for countless hours)....

Thanks,
Nick

Pics of the unit

Close Up

Starting a new journey
Nsteerz
Site Newbie

Re: FZR600 Newb needs help with a starting problem...

Post by Nsteerz »

My dad called me and said he thinks it could be the magneto. I am unfamiliar with these besides their main function of charging the battery and am unsure where exactly it is located and how to check its condition.

Thanks
CrazySkullCrusher
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by CrazySkullCrusher »

Welcome to the forum nick, I am also an ex seca 2 owner who stepped up to the fzr. Your problem sounds like its fuel related. 90% of problems with these bikes can be solved with a good carb clean. Just because they look clean doesn't mean they are. There's a great thread on here about cleaning carbs, very helpful. As for that fuel pump thing in the picture, its definitely not stock. If I were you I would first check and see if you're getting enough fuel to the carbs. Another thing this could be is a plugged breather in the gas cap, next time it acts up yank the cap and see if it clears up.
96 fzr600. R1 body kit.

94 xj600 seca 2: complete upgrade restoration.

73 Honda cb750 four: bored out 178 over (850 cc) street cam, smoothbore carbs, velocity stacks, corbin king-queen seat, 4-1 header with modified megaphone exhaust, dyna-s ignition, too many other mods to mention and still under construction.

72 Suzuki ts90 cci. First bike ever, bone stock and still starts with 2 kicks.
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

The hose going from the fuel filter to the fuel pump looks like it could be creased. I had this happen to me when I first got my bike and the symptoms were the same. Make sure you have flowing lines first since that's free.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
Nsteerz
Site Newbie

Post by Nsteerz »

Anyone know the symptoms/odds that it could be a clogged can? It's an aftermarket D&D exhaust. Not sure how common of a problem it is but I guess after thinking it over it would probably just turn over and stall out eventually.

Going to look at the fuel lines tomorrrow I suppose.

Also, the line looks I think more bent than it is, I'll try and getter better pics if possible.

I might check the fuel filter tomorrow too. Is there a simple way to see if it's clogged?

Thanks,
Nick
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Nsteerz wrote:My dad called me and said he thinks it could be the magneto. I am unfamiliar with these besides their main function of charging the battery and am unsure where exactly it is located and how to check its condition.

Thanks
These bikes don't have magnetos, which are an all-in-one combination of a permanent magnet alternator, ignition coil and points - reliable, but not particularly adjustable or suited to high-revving engines. The FZR600 uses several discrete components - a PM alternator, voltage regulator / rectifier, two double-ended ignition coils, and an ignition computer that fires the coils according to a non-linear advance vs rpm map. The alternator rotor has a pattern of bumps that, read by a magnetic sensor, tells the computer the crank position and speed.

From what you've described, I agree with the suggestions of fuel problems.
Nsteerz
Site Newbie

Post by Nsteerz »

DonTZ125 wrote:
Nsteerz wrote:My dad called me and said he thinks it could be the magneto. I am unfamiliar with these besides their main function of charging the battery and am unsure where exactly it is located and how to check its condition.

Thanks
These bikes don't have magnetos, which are an all-in-one combination of a permanent magnet alternator, ignition coil and points - reliable, but not particularly adjustable or suited to high-revving engines. The FZR600 uses several discrete components - a PM alternator, voltage regulator / rectifier, two double-ended ignition coils, and an ignition computer that fires the coils according to a non-linear advance vs rpm map. The alternator rotor has a pattern of bumps that, read by a magnetic sensor, tells the computer the crank position and speed.

From what you've described, I agree with the suggestions of fuel problems.
Thanks for the great explanation. I planned on doing the VR upgrade eventually, so I might just do that if I can't figure out the fuel problem later.
97fzrnoob
Site Newbie

Post by 97fzrnoob »

You should check out your emulsion tubes in the carbs. If they are egg-shaped, it'll cause your bike to bog and eventually stall from being flooded. I found that out last year when I bought my '97. It ran fine on the test drive but on the way home it bogged and sputtered and stalled.
SouthendChris
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by SouthendChris »

Fuel filter fitted wrong way round?? As that fuel pump is aftermarket, maybe it's designed to run all the time.

The genuine fuel pump on my 250exup turned on for 5 secs when the ignition turned on then cut out. It had an internal fuel pressure sensor which turned it on and off when required. Unfortunately I didn't have my 600 long enough to find out if it was similar :swear

If you didnt get any service history with the bike then it would be prudent to fit a new set of properly gapped spark plugs.

It looks like a nice bike. Good luck with it.

Chris
1990 3LN3 FZR250 - back in safe hands :)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5782/227 ... 41e9_b.jpg
1994 3HE FZR600 - R.I.P. 10/01/12

3x RG80 Gamma :)
Nsteerz
Site Newbie

Post by Nsteerz »

Took some more pictures of the fuel filter--->fuel pump--->fuel rails as best I could. The red hose is from the pump to the rails. I was a able to get it started, however with the choke fully on it was only idling at the normal (approx. 1.2k rpm) and with the choke off it would immediately stall.

So it looks like a fuel problem or something I'm just not too sure what to do about it. I still need to acquire a plug socket wrench and check on those. I doubt this is the main problem, however it still warrants checking for sure.

Sorry for the extreme close-ups, let me know if you have any trouble determining what is what and I'll try my best.

These pictures give a better idea of the angles the lines are at...the one from the pump to the rails is definitely too long, and the one from the filter to the pump is too flexible and bends/creases far too easily.
CrazySkullCrusher
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by CrazySkullCrusher »

With the choke on all the way the idle should go up to around 4k after twenty seconds or so. Try cranking in the idle adjuster. Get some clear tubing and attach it to the drain on the carb bowl, sort of hold it up vertical along the bowl and open the drain screw, the gas will flow into the tube and show you your float level. Have someone key the engine on and off to prime the pump (assuming your mystery pump primes) while you do this. Repeat on each carb.
96 fzr600. R1 body kit.

94 xj600 seca 2: complete upgrade restoration.

73 Honda cb750 four: bored out 178 over (850 cc) street cam, smoothbore carbs, velocity stacks, corbin king-queen seat, 4-1 header with modified megaphone exhaust, dyna-s ignition, too many other mods to mention and still under construction.

72 Suzuki ts90 cci. First bike ever, bone stock and still starts with 2 kicks.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

What is the output pressure of that pump? I'm suddenly wondering if its head isn't overwhelming the floats.
ramster
Site Newbie

Post by ramster »

DonTZ125 wrote:What is the output pressure of that pump? I'm suddenly wondering if its head isn't overwhelming the floats.
What? a fuel pump has a head now, or did I read that wrong :headscratch:
You can lead a THIRSTY horse to water, you cant make the THIRSTY horse drink, if it don't drink shoot it.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Yup - but an experienced mechanic should be familiar with the term "static head", as relates to pumps.
ramster
Site Newbie

Post by ramster »

DonTZ125 wrote:Yup - but an experienced mechanic should be familiar with the term "static head", as relates to pumps.
The only "static head" I know of is when the wife gets a gag reflex :whistle
You can lead a THIRSTY horse to water, you cant make the THIRSTY horse drink, if it don't drink shoot it.