Looks like I'll take the dragon in April.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

So I was told I have to use my vacation before May 1st. So I think the week of April 8-14 I will leave MO and head towards the dragon with my uncle. If anyone wants to go or is on my way through it would be cool to get a group shot.

Chris.
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: Looks like I'll take the dragon in April.

Post by ragedigital »

Have a good time, Chris!
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

I'm sure I will. I will be conservative on the dragon. Don't wanna ruin my hard work.

By the way did you get any of that hail today Darrin?

Chris.
ImageImageImage

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

kilika2 wrote:By the way did you get any of that hail today Darrin?
Not that I'm aware of. We usually don't get hit with it (knock on wood).
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

if it's during the week I might be able to join, as long as I haven't procrastinated and am inundated with homework. PM me when you know for sure and I'll see if I can make it, been wanting to make a trip up there and seeing another member would be cool.
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

_Will_ wrote:if it's during the week I might be able to join, as long as I haven't procrastinated and am inundated with homework. PM me when you know for sure and I'll see if I can make it, been wanting to make a trip up there and seeing another member would be cool.
Yeah I will definitely let you know. It should be during the week and I would guess probably Tuesday. Figuring Sunday we won't leave because it's Easter Sunday. And then factor in a days worth of riding to get there and that burns up Monday. But I will pm you for sure.

Chris.
ImageImageImage

_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

how many days will you all be there? I can be up there by around 3:30ish on Tuesday or earlier on Wednesday. Still gives plenty of time to do laps either way, you'll be surprised how tiring they are mentally more than physically. I'll come up either day, I could use the ride to unwind
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

Still working out the details as to who all is going. So that will tell me if we are going to ride the bikes out or trailer them. But right now it looks like we will leave Monday and get to the area in the afternoon same day. And I assume ride the dragon and surrounding areas until Thursday. Head back and stop to ride wherever we like. Be back home Saturday. There is a wide variety of bikes coming so I'm not sure of the skill level of everyone but I'm sure I'm the most novice and conservative. Haha.

Chris.
ImageImageImage

_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

multiple skill levels is expected and really not a big deal as long as nobody tires to ride over their head, there's room at either end to stop and wait for everyone. If you all are going to be there till Thursday I'll plan to be there on Wednesday so I can make a leisurely ride up. I just ordered a new front since I've been down to the bars , will have to take it to the mountains to break it in before the trip. Oh darn lol

and don't worry about being the most conservative, I was on and off the brakes making it rocking horse the first time. I just wasn't used to the rapid fire corners. By the second day you'll be amazed at how quickly your skill improves.
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

So looks like we are still on schedule. Me and other guy will be out there on Tuesday night and the other two probably won't come out until late wednesday or Thursday.

Chris.
ImageImageImage

DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Will - if your bike is 'rocking horse-ing', then two things are going on. First, you're hammering the fronts too hard then popping off. When you reach your brake point, lightly apply front and rear to settle the chassis - you can now come on the fronts HARD without diving. Come off the brakes smoothly, without just dumping the lever.

The second problem seems to be your suspension is too soft. Improved braking technique will help, but you'll probably benefit from a bit more damping.
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

While I agree that my suspension is too soft the rocking horse technique in this case was more attributable to riding style. Mainly I may as well have been a squid the first time. I keep going back and forth between investing in the fzr or saving it for a bigger bike but right now neither is happening. The front is WAY to soft and I've bottomed it out some, I'm also a bigger guy so that doesn't help.

Chris, I've got my new front tire on and am still 90% I'll be up there Wednesday. I'll keep you updated if it changes
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

Weather report says high of 60 and low of 34 on Wednesday. Didn't expect to be pulling out any cooler riding gear but it's better than sweating all day
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

_Will_ wrote:Weather report says high of 60 and low of 34 on Wednesday. Didn't expect to be pulling out any cooler riding gear but it's better than sweating all day
Excellent. How's the rest of the week looking? This is ending up perfect. We are leaving tomorrow and the other guy is meeting us there Tuesday night. The only thing not perfect is that cylinder 1 is giving me a problem. But I'm going to push through it and try to look at it after church today. We are taking extra bikes though so no big deal.

Chris.
ImageImageImage

_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbin ... ast/334849

looks like Tuesday may be a little wet but other than that you'll be good. I need to do a plug swap myself, do the oil while I'm at it.

A smooth running bike goes a long way towards confidence on that road. The hardest part isn't the corners physically it's the mental exhaustion, everyone has the same experience of expecting to get there and ride for hours but after a few laps you just want to let your brain take a break from corner after corner. I had my throttle loosen on my first trip and rode it anyway but having to watch that too took some of the fun out of it.