thundercat forks?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

jims 93 fzr600r
Site Newbie

thundercat forks?

Post by jims 93 fzr600r »

thundercat forks and triples fit fzr 600r,my friend has a complete set ,will these fit with some modds or just no chance???
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: thundercat forks?

Post by sweekster »

No mods needed. Uses the same stem as the FZR so it's a bolt on and go.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
jims 93 fzr600r
Site Newbie

Post by jims 93 fzr600r »

kool i mite just buy them,thanks
haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

your gonna need the clipons due to the bigger fork tubes and i dont know if the fzr wheel bolts up to the yzf forks might wanna try it before you change it
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
sleepyz0mby
Site Newbie

Post by sleepyz0mby »

yup you need yzf wheel, calipers, rotors, brake lines, upper/lower triple, clip ons, ignition... thats all i can think of right off the top of my head.

NOTES:

i dont think fzr rotors fit
the brake lines may be interchangeable
the ignition switch is a pain to remove so i dont know if they swap, but the wiring is easy to figure out. so grab a solder gun, dont crimp these wires cause when they come apart the engine may die
the fzr bars will fit into the clip-ons... not sure if im very clear on that sry

thats all i got for now, good luck and its easy cheap and recommended upgrade
haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

the calipers interchange dont know if the brake lines are the right length though
gogofizzpow
Level 1.5
Level 1.5
Location: Europe, California, Georgia, Belgium (yes, this is not part of the 1st one)

Post by gogofizzpow »

Me and my neightbor both pulled our bikes apart yesterday, his a yzf, mine a fzr, and yes they fit. you need the front wheel and clip ons though, and of course the triples, but the basic part, ie the stem nut is the same along with the bearings and everything.
'96 FZR600
-Stainless brake lines, K&N Filter Pods, R6 front calipers, R6 Front and rear Master cylinder, Factory Pro Stg 1 Jetkit, R6 Headers (TK), '08 R6 Rear shock w/ adjustable dogbones (RR), Airtech R1 kit (and all the mods that go with that), Home made 5 d ignition advance, YZF600r D&D Modified short can with R6 mid pipe, Progressive rate front suspension, YZF600r Swingarm/wheel, 520 14/45, 47, 48 Sprockets, China's rearsets, YZF600r modified undertray, Cheap battery mod so I can run lay flat glass matts, And anything else I become compulsive enough to do to her...
-FOR SALE- *sniff sniff*
haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

now much you looking to spend i have a whole setup here
smokinbunta
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by smokinbunta »

ok... bringing an old ass thread back to life. But r the YZF forks much stiffer then FZR? cause im REALLY tired of having so much front end dip even just tapping the brakes.. so i think ima finally upgrade this winter!
fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by fzrbrandon »

smokinbunta wrote:ok... bringing an old ass thread back to life. But r the YZF forks much stiffer then FZR? cause im REALLY tired of having so much front end dip even just tapping the brakes.. so i think ima finally upgrade this winter!
If all you're concerned about is the stiffness, why not just get some progressive springs that are rated for your weight? They'll run you about half (~$100) of what a solid YZF front-end will run (~$200 - $300). Now if you want less fork flex and more adjustability (preload, compression damping, & rebound damping on the T-Cat forks) - go with the YZF front end.
Image Image

92 FZR600 - 3EN2 400 swingarm, Micron, DynoJet, Factory Pro, K&N, R6 shock, RT springs/emulators, R6 MC, Galfer, YZF calipers, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Zero Gravity

90 FZR400 - Sharkskinz, D&D, Sudco, DynoJet, Factory Pro, Ohlins, RT springs/emulators, JEM Machine, Woodcraft, NRC, Galfer, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Lockhart Phillips

89 FZR600 - Vance & Hines, DynoJet, Zero Gravity - sold in '91

http://www.fzrbrandon.com

!!! 400 & 600 Parts For Sale !!! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9971
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

When was the last time you changed your fork oil? Fork oil degrades, and can wind up with a viscosity closer to water than 15W fork oil. What's your fork oil level? Too low = reduced effective spring rate; empty = SFA for damping. Do you have the proper spacers in there?

Fork tuning is an iterative process - change something, try it, decide if those are the results you wanted, start again. This is harder with 'fixed' forks vs full adjustable, obviously. You do have to start with 'fresh' forks, with a fresh load of the correct quantity of the correct oil. The you can start doing things like adding oil (reduced air gap = increased 'air spring', within reason), changing oil (increased viscosity = increased damping), increased spacer length (= increased spring preload).
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

DonTZ125 wrote:When was the last time you changed your fork oil? Fork oil degrades, and can wind up with a viscosity closer to water than 15W fork oil. What's your fork oil level? Too low = reduced effective spring rate; empty = SFA for damping. Do you have the proper spacers in there?

Fork tuning is an iterative process - change something, try it, decide if those are the results you wanted, start again. This is harder with 'fixed' forks vs full adjustable, obviously. You do have to start with 'fresh' forks, with a fresh load of the correct quantity of the correct oil. The you can start doing things like adding oil (reduced air gap = increased 'air spring', within reason), changing oil (increased viscosity = increased damping), increased spacer length (= increased spring preload).
Agreed

I've said this a few times and I'll say it again. My old 600 had spongy forks. At the time I weighed about 190. I didn't want deflection or diving when braking anymore so when it came time to change the fork seals I went with heavier oil. 30w to be exact. No deflection no diving. Solid front end. Not saying you should go to 30w but fresh fork oil is a lot cheaper than a yzf front end.

my2cents
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by fzrbrandon »

Just don't go overboard with overfilling the oil. Hit a nice solid bump and and you risk blowing the seals out.
Image Image

92 FZR600 - 3EN2 400 swingarm, Micron, DynoJet, Factory Pro, K&N, R6 shock, RT springs/emulators, R6 MC, Galfer, YZF calipers, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Zero Gravity

90 FZR400 - Sharkskinz, D&D, Sudco, DynoJet, Factory Pro, Ohlins, RT springs/emulators, JEM Machine, Woodcraft, NRC, Galfer, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Lockhart Phillips

89 FZR600 - Vance & Hines, DynoJet, Zero Gravity - sold in '91

http://www.fzrbrandon.com

!!! 400 & 600 Parts For Sale !!! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9971
smokinbunta
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by smokinbunta »

i have seen that progressive spring bike bandit sells, and im curious about it..

But no, i have no idea when the forks were last filled or what not, since at least when i bought it 3 seasons ago n about 8000 miles.. is that too long? and i remember the guy i bought it from said he did the fork seals but i dont know what else.. im also not sure how much money i wanna put into it, cause i dont know if im gonna be keeping the bike long enough to make a real investment..
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

If the seals are good, replacing the oil and playing with spacers and oil level is about $40. Return some empties, prise open the sporran, and get that thing sorted out! :rofl: