FZR1000 carb problems.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Re: FZR1000 carb problems.

Post by McFizzer »

Oh dont get me wrong Duane, most of all the time, yes, rich, and especially in his case where the bike is running like crap. But Oil being burnt at higher revs can lead to a black(ish) type smoke. Not only have I've revved mine with my hand behind the pipe to see the cloud itself as friends have said when I let loose a puff comes out. But my deff of black is probably mis construde. Brownish black is more along the lines. Then followed by the smell of burning oil.. and the oil bloches on my hand.. At start up I can see a tint of blue but I've always chalked that up to stem seals as when warm it goes away...along with condensation being evaporated.

In any case it seems unusual for stem seals to be weak at 12k, but a 20+ year old bike i wouldn't put it past things getting hard and dry...
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
steph42
Site Newbie

Post by steph42 »

Ive rebuilt over 30 1k exup motor's over the last 5 or so years the valve stem seals are poor and start to go britle if the bikes not used for periods. Replace them as soon as you can will genuine yamaha items as many aftermarket 1's are well CR*P. As for the carbs get them ultrasonically cleaned if you can and rebuilt with genuine parts Jet sizes to standard, float heights....etc. You've said the engine's been rebuilt...Why? and what did you replace renew ?

Steve
coreo19
Site Newbie

Post by coreo19 »

i bought the bike locked up. i got it freed up but smoked like a freight train.....and had some pretty low compression....the bike had sit for roughly 4 years outside....and i was told it was a track bike which may be true considering the low miles. i believe i will go back to stock jetting like mcfizzer has suggested.

what i replaced when rebulit.

pistons
rings
headgasket
steph42
Site Newbie

Post by steph42 »

Did you Hone the cylinders before you fitted the new pistons/rings? if the bikes smokey and burning oil id suggest a partial strip down again hone the cylinders its easy to do , check the rings /replace as there cheap. Ive came across a few cylinder heads where the bores have been slightly oval particularly on 89/90 exups , ive ended up getting them rebored/honed, this will def restore good compression just remember not to thrash it straight away and as you've stated if the bikes an ex track bike its gona have had a hard life!?

Steve
hbvtc
Site Newbie

Post by hbvtc »

Could I please ask for a post of the correct specs for the FZR 1000. In terms of Float heights, Jet sizes, Mixture, and anything else that may be important? Im having a similar problem, poor revs at idle, and low speed, accels perfectly when under load, and more than 1/4 throttle. I have my mixture set at 4 turns out, but have a straight pipe with no exhaust packing...Id like to return it to stock, but am lost in trying to find credible stock settings.
Its the funniest thing, this machine screams and pulls like hell without problem anywhere but low RPM and Idle, Idle seems to be missing slightly, and definatly not running on all four cylinders when standing still and revving. Why would all cylinders be firing on high RPM, but not low?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. THANKS :)