Caliper question: 4 pot-6 pot

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Caliper question: 4 pot-6 pot

Post by McFizzer »

Okay guys. I have the 4 pots that are on my 92. I like them but I want to change em. Was thinking of slapping some 6 pot's on em. Is the spacing the same? I believe there 98mm/100mm stock right? The only thing the 6 pots are expensive for pads and rebuild kits right? Then the other option is some blue spots. Any suggestions? I mean she brakes wonderfully but I have to do SOMETHING lol
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: Caliper question: 4 pot-6 pot

Post by sweekster »

The 6 pots are bolt on from what I remember BUT people usually go the other way. Why? The options for 4 pots and improved braking is more open. I honestly would suggest staying with 4 pots. An upgrade "package" (if you will ) is going to Gold Spot 4 pot calipers with, stainless lines, good pads, and a 16mmx18mm radial master cylinder. That will haul your 500lb beast to a stop with ease..even so you'll be able to do with the 2 fingers. If it's aesthetics you are going after then the 6 pots with stainless lines, good pads, and an 19mmx18mm or 19mmx20mm radial master cylinder would be good.

Now you will probably ask why I recommended Gold spots instead of the blue spots or silver spots. The latter two are just fine but the pistons in the gold spot calipers are teflon coated and are made of a slightly lighter alloy than what is in the blue and silver spots. That makes them a little lighter than all the other calipers and binding under heavy braking is virtually eliminated.

Sidenote: The results of the "package" I mentioned can also be achieved with the stock 4 pot calipers. Other than visual appeal and very minimal weight savings, there are no other real reasons to swap to the calipers.

I'm still running the stock 6 pots on my 1k and they do the job just fine.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Okay nice nice, Then perhaps I'll be on the hunt for some gold spots. I have all SS braided lines so Im good with that and the braking is amazing with the speigler rotors. Just more or less looking to upgrade the brakes to a little more modern set up and the aesthetics of something that add's a little bit of sharpness to it. Hopefully I can use my SS braided lines with whatever I decide to bolt on.

Bikes certainly one heavy beast but I guess I haven't noticed it too much. When these 1k's ride its like they're on a rail. So nimble I love it.

Deff will upgrade the M/C too when I change the calipers. Dont suppose it'll get the rear up on such a heavy bike eh? lol
1992 FZR 1000
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

McFizzer wrote: Dont suppose it'll get the rear up on such a heavy bike eh? lol
I know of two people who damn near went over their bars after doing this on FZR600s..so I'm pretty confident that a full fisted grab on a 1k will bring the rear up.
Duane...
Bike:
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
USE THEM!!
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Thanks Duane. BTW, I read your thread on your 1K build. Damn nice job on it. Just wanted to slip that in. Really dig the whole murdered out theme. When I bought my bike I got basically a full extra set of fairings too. The old ones were beat up he said and bought all them brand new from OEM....I have the reciept...ouch lol. Thinking of repairing the old ones, Take the DA to 'em and murder them out so I can basically change the color withing an hour or so =)

ALSO

I know I've searched and looked at the sticky for the Frame sliders...Only seems to be on the 600's and nothing for the 1k's? Do you perhaps have a link of something I've missed.
1992 FZR 1000
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Thanks. I still haven't painted it yet. The mental debate over what color rages on but I'm happy with where it is and where it's going nonetheless. Anyway here (click there) is the link on sliders for the 1k. Pretty easy to do
Duane...
Bike:
My Thread
Cage:

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
USE THEM!!
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Wonderful. Thanks again. I'll have to pick up a set this weekend off ebay and bang em up =)

My dad just got some nice paint from house of kolor for the GSX1100f we're re doing. They have nice stuff in my opinion. Maybe a red or orange?
1992 FZR 1000
bluesbreaker45
Site Newbie

Post by bluesbreaker45 »

I have the OEM 6 piston calipers and OEM master cylinder on my 1994 FZR 1000. I recently installed EBC HH pads and spiegler stainless steel lines and the back end comes up just so easily.

I hope it helps you decide.
Come see me and my FZR1000 at US60 Raceway in Hardinsburg, KY on Saturday evenings
1994 Yamaha FZR1000- Stock Wheelbase
Best 1/8 mile ET to date- 6.463 @ 110.97 with 1.58 60 ft
Keihin 41mm FCR carburetors
YZF750 Cam Shafts
YZF750 6-Speed Transmission
Falicon Billet Clutch Basket
KG Heavy-Duty Springs with OEM Fibers & Steels (Ask me why)
Hindle competition plus exhaust system (Stainless Steel header with carbon fiber canister)
DID gold O-Ring Chain-520 conversion (15-47 Gearing)
Harlan Engineering Programmable Shift Light
Daytona Sensors WEGO III A/F data logger
IGNITECH Programmable TCI
Ohlins Rear Shock
Pirelli Diablo Corsa III tires
Spiegler Stainless Steeel Clutch and Brake lines
EBC HH Brake Pads
Integrated tail light
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

hmmm thanks blues. Im still looking into them or probably/most likely some blue spots and an R1 MC. Right now Im focused on saving money to order a new front fender errrggh.
1992 FZR 1000
bikenut
Donating Member
Donating Member

Post by bikenut »

i have 99 r1 brakes on the frt of my 92 the calipers are one piece and have a way better feal and stopping power than the stock ones did
if i wanted your opinion i'd beat it outa ya

92 fzr 1040, 6 speed, ported and polished head shaved .005",modified 750 clutch basket,factory pro modified center clutch hub,ebc clutch and springs,dynojet stage three jet kit,cut airbox with k&n filter,wrapped header,vance and hines ss2r cut down for weight and backpressure,530 conversion -1 tooth on frt sprocket and 99 yzf r1 frt brake system= oh shit scary fast

82 porsche 911 sc
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Yeah I've been eyeing down some gold spots to go with style of how I want to do with my rebuild.
1992 FZR 1000
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

blue/gold dots are better than the 6'ers, the 6'ers dont provide as much braking feel and are MUCH heavier