High Beams work, but not low beams

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

drowningxinxair
Site Newbie

High Beams work, but not low beams

Post by drowningxinxair »

Hey- I just got a used 1993 FZR600- when I purchased the bike I remembered to check both low and high beams and they work. But riding the bike at night tonight I noticed that my low beams didn't work, but my high beams did. When I got home both headlights come on for the high beams, but nothing for the low beams.

I'm very unfamiliar with the bike, is this a bulb problem? or electrical?

Thanks
Mickey
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: High Beams work, but not low beams

Post by sweekster »

I'd change the bulbs first. They are H4 35w each.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
sleepyz0mby
Site Newbie

Post by sleepyz0mby »

before you start throwing money at it grab a voltage meter and check out the wiring. maybe there is no power getting to it? dont know till you check
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

sleepyz0mby wrote:before you start throwing money at it grab a voltage meter and check out the wiring. maybe there is no power getting to it? dont know till you check
Very sound advice 5 mins seeing where the juice genie has vanished is always good .
could be the switch is corroded on the low beam side or a busted / corroded joint/plug& socket.
Or as suggested the lower beams have blown BUT unusual that both bulbs went at once............
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

My 600 has 2 headlamp relay's mounted on the nose fairing cage(or what ever its called), could also be a faulty relay if there's no power.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

mawler wrote:My 600 has 2 headlamp relay's mounted on the nose fairing cage(or what ever its called), could also be a faulty relay if there's no power.
M,
well that is a piece of news I have not seen that location(bird cage ) used for a relay on a Yamaha. All their relays seem to be close to the battery & under the seat. Is that a euro model or just UK do you know?
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

yamaha_george wrote:
mawler wrote:My 600 has 2 headlamp relay's mounted on the nose fairing cage(or what ever its called), could also be a faulty relay if there's no power.
M,
well that is a piece of news I have not seen that location(bird cage ) used for a relay on a Yamaha. All their relays seem to be close to the battery & under the seat. Is that a euro model or just UK do you know?
Mines an import, the h/lamp is German so i guess its from Germany.
4Rings6Stars
Site Newbie

Post by 4Rings6Stars »

Had a similar issue on my 92 (single lamp) and it was corroded/melted plug from PO using a 100/90 bulb. Replacement plug/socket cheap from the interweb and a proper bulb solved the problem.
92 FZR600
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

4Rings6Stars wrote:Had a similar issue on my 92 (single lamp) and it was corroded/melted plug from PO using a 100/90 bulb. Replacement plug/socket cheap from the interweb and a proper bulb solved the problem.
Nice to hear you solved that problem.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

mawler wrote:
yamaha_george wrote:
M,
Mines an import, the h/lamp is German so i guess its from Germany.
Mal,
Just to clarify that is a GERMAN FZR600 model bike OR a German fairing & birdcage for a 600 ?
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

yamaha_george wrote: Mal,
Just to clarify that is a GERMAN FZR600 model bike OR a German fairing & birdcage for a 600 ?
To be honest I don't know where it came from the V5 says

"WAS REGISTERED/USED OVERSEAS, DECLARED MANUFACTURED 1993" yet it's a 91/92 headlamp/nose.
Date of first registration 27 08 1998
Date of first registration in the UK ditto

The fairings aren't stock they are Fibreglass. Windsheild isn't stock either.

My engine and VIN no's match (first thing I check when buying any vehicle) and it has been data tagged at some time, so I know it's not a knock off lol
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

I was wrong there is only one relay, wire colours are Red, Black, Green, Yellow, Low beam is Green High is Yellow. It's a 92 single with 2 single filament bulbs. When it stops raining I'll get the multimeter to see if it is actually connected to the bulbs, Im puzzled how it would/could control 2 bulbs my low beam stays on when the high beam is switched on.
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

Well it hasn't stopped raining yet and doesn't look like its going to, another day with nothing done on the bike GRRRRRRRRRRRRR......., but I've been doing some :headscratch:

The relay could work like this. Obviously the Black wire is negative and the Red positive. I've got this far, the Red wire connects to the High beam on connection in the switch, switching the relay on when in the High beam position. The power from the Low beam Green wire connects to the High beam Yellow wire VIA the relay switching both bulbs on. The High Low beam switch probably can't handle the wattage of two 50 watt bulbs @ the same time, but could handle one bulb and a low wattage relay. But could the Green wire cope, the Low beam position would then be doing 100 watts could be 90 can't remember the exact wattage of the bulbs. I need to know this, if and when it gets faulty. The relay is on no parts fiche and has no part number. more :headscratch: needed.

End of :hijack:
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

I was close.

I really hoped the Red wire wasn't powered when the ignition is on, it is! Obviously the Black is ground.

Low beam on = no power to the Yellow high beam wire, High beam on = power to both Green and yellow wires. I pulled the relay, high beam on (Yellow), no power to the Green wire. That's how my low beam stays illuminated, when switched to high beam.

This is a guess, that side of the pond, do the head lights illuminate when the bike is switched on/running? This side of the pond we can switch them off VIA the right hand switch gear (at least I can) Im pissed off that I have a permanent live vulnerable in the bird cage all the time, and only my Ride lamp illuminated.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

mawler wrote:I was close.

I really hoped the Red wire wasn't powered when the ignition is on, it is! Obviously the Black is ground.

Low beam on = no power to the Yellow high beam wire, High beam on = power to both Green and yellow wires. I pulled the relay, high beam on (Yellow), no power to the Green wire. That's how my low beam stays illuminated, when switched to high beam.

This is a guess, that side of the pond, do the head lights illuminate when the bike is switched on/running? This side of the pond we can switch them off VIA the right hand switch gear (at least I can) Im pissed off that I have a permanent live vulnerable in the bird cage all the time, and only my Ride lamp illuminated.
M,
some states require that bikes must run a main light at all times (I believe certain countries on the continent do too ) hence the low being lit at all times.
Even though my bike is UK spec I ride Lo on at all times when ignition is on then only the truly blind will say Sorry mate did not see you (well hopefully at least)