Electrical issues on my 92 600. Search says maybe VR?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

4Rings6Stars
Site Newbie

Electrical issues on my 92 600. Search says maybe VR?

Post by 4Rings6Stars »

Hi guys -

Just got the bike and trying to get her on the road.

Low beam was not working at all, but the high beam would work fine when switched on. Also, the tail lights were not working (and would work intermittently when I touched/moved the wires around). Tail light bulbs tested fine, but when I went to pull the headlight bulb out, the bulb glass is burned/bulging and the plug is melted and corroded. Is it possible that the bulb was not correct or is this an issue with the VR I have read about so many times in my searching?

A buddy of mine has a spare VR, but how about the plug--Is that a common, easily replaceable piece?

Also, what bulb should I run on the 92, single style headlight?

Here are a few pics of what I'm dealing with:

A few other shots of the electrical system. Note the cobbled together wiring in the back. I think this was due to aftermarket signals?
Image Image Image
92 FZR600
thatkid

Re: Electrical issues on my 92 600. Search says maybe VR?

Post by thatkid »

I'd say it's not your VR, But you should check the charging voltage, anything above 14.9 volts then the VR is shot.

As for the tail lights working intermittently, check the connectors for corrosion.

Your bulb is 100/90 watt which is far to heavy, the filaments will overheat and burn out probably why the connector has melted. 60/55w is probably what you should use.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

mawler wrote:I'd say it's not your VR, But you should check the charging voltage, anything above 14.9 volts then the VR is shot.

As for the tail lights working intermittently, check the connectors for corrosion.

Your bulb is 100/90 watt which is far to heavy, the filaments will overheat and burn out probably why the connector has melted. 60/55w is probably what you should use.
Hi,
I would say that using that headlight bulb is the root of the problem ir is trying to draw WAY too much current for the bikes electrical generating system.

Three prong connectors for H4 bulbs are common to cars & bikes (see your local scrap yard or Fleabay) do as Mawler says check the VR is not damaged and giving out too much voltage , check the liquid level in your battery top up if required, charge the battery OFF the bike open all the cell corks/ stopper BE AWARE that charging batteries give off explosive gases that corrode most metals near by.

Go to the WIKI print off the wiring diagram for your bike . Check that the PO did not do anything else that is "worrying" (like over rated headlight bulbs :-{ ).

Get back to the list if you have any other concerns.
4Rings6Stars
Site Newbie

Post by 4Rings6Stars »

I ordered this (below), and also picked up the proper, 60/55 bulb. I will test the battery and charging system and try the new headlight/plug combo. Hopefully that will solve my issues and I won't have to post a follow up.

Thanks guys!
92 FZR600