HOW-TO: YZF600R Swingarm Conversion Write-Up <Updated>

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: HOW-TO: YZF600R Swingarm Conversion Write-Up <Updated>

Post by shredex »

do I have to trim down the YZF pivot axle as well? or do I use the fzr pivot bolt?
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

If you dont have the FZR pivot bushing, you have to cut down the YZF one. If you do have the FZR pivot bushing, its already the right size and length, just reuse it and the bolt.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

mrfreeze5 wrote:If you dont have the FZR pivot bushing, you have to cut down the YZF one. If you do have the FZR pivot bushing, its already the right size and length, just reuse it and the bolt.
pivot bushing is the one thats hollow right? that rubs against the bearings in the swingarm
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Yes, the pivot bushing is the hollow steel tube that goes between the bearings and pivot bolt. The fzr one is already the right size, and the pivot bolts are the same dia. on both bikes.
bmison
Site Newbie

Post by bmison »

Hi all ... when you install the 520 conversion - what link size chain do you use? 120? 110? thanks in advance for your help! :headbang:
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

any info on what done bone length is needed?

this is going to screw up my perfect ride height...
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Dogbone length can vary quite a bit depending on what components you use. If you use the FZR knuckle as opposed to the YZF one (I used the FZR knuckle), shock. Im running a R6 shock thats about 10mm shorter than FZR, and Ive got the suspension in a good location for my height. My dogbones, eye to eye are about 5"
tampaFZR600
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by tampaFZR600 »

shredex wrote:any info on what done bone length is needed?

this is going to screw up my perfect ride height...
dude....just text me, you know i ,know all of these questions you are asking lol
FZR 600 "bring back to life" project.... SHE LIVES!!!
FZR manual---->> http://commline.com/FZR/600/MANUAL/
Dragon
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by Dragon »

Can someone give me a direct link to the front sprocket I need for this swap? JT preferred, trying to find it on B.B. suks, only finding 530 sizes, lol..

Would also like to get the swing arm bearings from the same site, so.....
& yes I'm bout to do the swap this winter, gathering parts for it now. Think all I still need is these parts...
Thanks in advance... Peace.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

anyone know if the 04' R6 shock will work? iv got one of those...thinking about using it instead of the fz1 shock I got...I just like the pretty red spring
haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

i think the 04 shock has a different lower mount i dont think its the same setup type might be able to use the 99 02 check the shock section freeze wrote up it says 08 works good
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Recently I set up another YZF swingarm for another board member. I used my spare frame to mock everything up and it made me want to go ahead and build it. I also have a spare set of R1 forks that made it on to the frame. This build is using the 08 R6 shock and it works perfectly. We also have the adjustable dogbones from reelrazor, who modified the shock to fit the FZR. I went ahead and bought a R6 shock like this for myself. It doesnt require any mods to the FZR frame to fit, unlike my 07 R6 shock which was a bitch and a half.

I just ordered a R6 5 spoke wheel set, front and rear for my hybrid, so that will give me a spare R1 wheel and YZF wheel, so I need to get one more YZF swingarm, and Ive got a spare parts FZR build about 3/4 of the way done :D Soon I will be adding info on my R6 wheel swap in this thread. Much credit to ABS since I am going to follow his plans, but I plan on using the 5 spokes instead of the 3 spoke wheels. I got everything for the rear except tire for about $75 shipped, and the front wheel was significantly less than that with a tire and rotors. Unfortunately I couldnt find any raven wheels with the red stripe in my price range, but the solid black ones will do the job just fine.
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Here are some bad pics of the swingarm I modded for f2t4w. This the test fit before sending it off. This is using a 2008 R6 shock flipped around, and it fits perfectly. So much easier than my 06 shock!

Hopefully it fits f2t4w's bike as well as it fit my spare frame :D and hopefully he'll post pics of the final product once its installed. Hint hint.
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

What are you throwing the r6 5 spokes on .. The yzf swingarm ? When i swapped my R1's wheels i went with a r6 front and they are the same as a r1 except from brake bolt pattern and rotor size .. Also i used all balls bearing after i got them powdercoated .. Wish i would of just used oem yamaha bearings as i didnt think those aftermarket were as good as oem's .. Cant wait to see this new one .. Sounds like its gonna look pretty nice ! GL with it .
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always