Neverending Valve Adjustment

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Banshee350
Site Newbie

Neverending Valve Adjustment

Post by Banshee350 »

Did a search and did not really find what I was looking for. I have been having trouble with a valve adjustment and the problem is on the exhaust side. It seems that no matter what size shim is placed in all the exhaust valves, the after measurement is the same as when I started. I have tripled checked the math, had someone do the math separately, torn it apart more times than I want to count and now I am to the point that I dont care. Any idea what the problem could be? For example, I measured one valve at a .08 with a 1.70 shim in it. Replace it with a 1.50 and still measures at a .08. This is true for every exhaust valve not just one or two. Doesn't make sense in my book. Replace Valves? Also what will happen if I put it back together and continue riding? Ran fine before tear down.

Just some info on the bike, it is a 1993 with about 26,000 miles on it. Not sure when or if a valve adjustment has ever been done.
bweight
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Re: Neverending Valve Adjustment

Post by bweight »

I'm not gonna offer much in the way of help figuring out your problem, however, don't just ride it the way it is now. If you're getting ANY valve noise at all now and you weren't before, you gotta figure out what has gone wrong.. If you don't, then visit the following link to see what will happen...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3689
89 FZR 400
Custom Paintjob
600 plastics.
06 - R6 Shock
FZR600 Motor
Polished Frame & Engine Covers

Soon to be:
Broke........

FZROnline.com Decals. Get yours Now!!!
aaronb
Site Newbie

Post by aaronb »

Could you remove the shims and measure them with out them? I take it you checked the the shims with a micrometer? If it was valve stretch or hammering back of the seat you wouldn't expect it to change again :$ Maybe carbon built up on the seat when they were not closing properly.
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

You may not be getting a true measurement with the feeler gauges.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

95FZR600 wrote:You may not be getting a true measurement with the feeler gauges.

Agreed. Try some 'go, no go' feelers.

And, the valve springs may be shot-not enough seat pressure
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
Banshee350
Site Newbie

Post by Banshee350 »

Thanks for the replies. I will have to look into to it. Not quite sure where to start but thanks for some suggestions.
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

If your springs are bad-not enough seat pressure- then when you slip a feeler gauge in it will actually compress the valve....which gets you a faulty read.

Feeler gauges really DO take a feel that has to be acquired.

Get a set of 'go-no go' feeler gauges(or go to a good tool company of good auto parts store and order the TWO you need).

Go-no go gauges have a step in them-they are thin, then come to a step at the gauge thickness. If you have clearance you don't feel the step when you insert the gauge-it just 'goes'. If you hit the step and have to push it's 'no go'.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor