Not the average carb idle issue.

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

FizzNation
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Not the average carb idle issue.

Post by FizzNation »

Ok so i have been messing with my carbs the past 2 days. I had taken them apart and rebuilt them. Before i did this it didnt idle for shit either.

I synced the carbs and have tried having the idle air mixture screw at 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, and 5 turns out and there really wasnt much difference between each setting. I have tried messing with the idle speed and it will be a constant idle at 3k but when i try to lower it to like 2k or 1.2k but it just starts stumbling kind of and dies. it will rev fine at 3k but as soon as i go under that it does to hell and dives down and dies.

sometimes i will get it set at like 1.5k and then all of a sudden it will have a mind of its own and rev up pretty high and just go crazy, I used my IR TEMP GUN and the two outside cylinders were at like 170-200 degrees farenheight and the middle two cylinders were at like 750-770 degrees farenheight. when we messed with the idle air screws it really didnt make much differance.

i really need some help. Could this be because of the float level. it is the one thing i did not set because i didnt get how the hell to measure it.

Could it be electrical or maybe a vaccum leak. If so where are all the vaccum lines and places to check for vaccum leaks.

Thanks guys,
Dan
mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Re: Not the average carb idle issue.

Post by mossy1200 »

Is it possible you have coil fault and its cutting in and out when the revs are low.Assume your jets are not all the same size as the centre two cylinders are hoter so have one size up jets on the outer to make them richer as this compensates the extra heat in the centre of the jugs configuration.
possible vacum leak but this would mean two have this fault.
Last edited by mossy1200 on Sat May 02, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FizzNation
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by FizzNation »

ok so how do i check the coil. also i think the float levels could be off.
mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by mossy1200 »

FizzNation wrote:ok so how do i check the coil. also i think the float levels could be off.
If you have limited tools and knowledge you could unplug one coil at time and put spare plug on end.Leave it resting on motor and start bike to check for spark at idle.Not sure if 600 has fuel level line on outside of bowls as not all do but you can set up clear hose from drains up to see the fuel level against the outside of bowl.

Try those for a start.