Just fix a 750 FZR

FZR750 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Re: Just bought a 750 FZR

Post by the_finch »

Easiest way to check if the ignition unit is bad would be to swap a good one in temporarily from a running bike. 750's are a little rare, but I think they're mechanically close enough to swap a unit from a FZR1000 of about the same year in. Thankfully TCI units are plug and play, so if you have a buddy with a 1000, you should be able to swap, test, and put the unit back into his bike over the course of an hour or two.

I'd double check with one of the 1000 guys before I swapped them, though. I'm thinking the only difference should be the rev limiter, but you never know.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

there could be a problem with the wiring.
the cdi unit might have something to do with it...
clean all connections down and put them back together, then try it.
The reason my charging system wasnt working was because of bad connections
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by csofos »

shredex wrote:there could be a problem with the wiring.
the cdi unit might have something to do with it...
clean all connections down and put them back together, then try it.
The reason my charging system wasnt working was because of bad connections
Well after a few days i bought the fzr 600-750 and 1000 Haynes service manual. A friend witch owns a fzr 1000 told me that if the cdi is damaged, then there should be no spark at all. My fzr gives on the 1st and 4th cylinder spark. I switched the coils and then i had spark on the 2nd and 3rd only. So i figured out that i have some problem into the wiring.

Anyway, i decide to continue the work no matter if i had electrical probs. So i dissasemple the engine. Tomorrow i'll make the rest of the bike in piecies, and then start preparation for frame and rear arm painting.

Finnaly i'll make it in the R7 OW02 colours. That means black frame and rear arm. Fairing colours red-white-black. I'm about to buy upper and lower fairings from a yzf-r6 '04. The tail maybe R1 '01 or R6 '08.

Here 're some pics of what so far
ImageImage
THE COST OF YOUR HELMET, IT DEPENTS ON HOW MUCH EXPENSIVE YOU THINK YOUR HEAD IS.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

csofos wrote: Image

what is this swingarm too?
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by csofos »

[/quote]what is this swingarm too?[/quote]
It's from Kawasaki ZXR 750 '89 (H1). At first, i thought it was from '90 model (H2) but i look on my zxr manual and get sure about it: it's '89 model.
Today, i seperated the bike in front end, frame, rear end. Then i took a very good look on how i'll put the zxr rear arm. I noticed 2 things:
1st that the fzr's pivot shaft it's 16mm thickness while the zxr's pivot shaft it's up to 20mm (hence the housing too)
2nd that i must graze 7mm either from the left side of the rear arm housing, or from the left side of the frame.

I decide to keep the fzr's pivot shaft (16mm) and make a tube (for spacer) to reach the 20mm of the zxr's. Then i'll press that spacer into the zxr's pivot and thus allow the fzr's pivot shaft to get through
As for the side grazing, i decide to graze it from the frame (left side). If i try to do the grazing from the rear arm, it'll be difficult, because at that point, there is a bearing inside.
THE COST OF YOUR HELMET, IT DEPENTS ON HOW MUCH EXPENSIVE YOU THINK YOUR HEAD IS.
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

csofos wrote:Well after a few days i bought the fzr 600-750 and 1000 Haynes service manual. A friend witch owns a fzr 1000 told me that if the cdi is damaged, then there should be no spark at all. My fzr gives on the 1st and 4th cylinder spark. I switched the coils and then i had spark on the 2nd and 3rd only. So i figured out that i have some problem into the wiring.
The TCI (ignitor-what you are calling CDI but isn't) unit has a discreet circuit(channel) for each coil, so it CAN be bad on one channel and not the other. So, it is not necessarily the wiring.

If you trace the wires back to the TCI unit you can run a jumper wire from the right(suspect) pole on it directly to either coil and find out if that channel is, in fact, faulty.

If you do find that the TCI is bad..the best bang for the buck out there is the Ignitech unit.

http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

csofos wrote: I decide to keep the fzr's pivot shaft (16mm) and make a tube (for spacer) to reach the 20mm of the zxr's. Then i'll press that spacer into the zxr's pivot and thus allow the fzr's pivot shaft to get through
As for the side grazing, i decide to graze it from the frame (left side). If i try to do the grazing from the rear arm, it'll be difficult, because at that point, there is a bearing inside.

just make sure your taking it from the right side.....you dont want to take it from the wrong side and have an off center wheel :yikes:
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by csofos »

[/quote]
The TCI (ignitor-what you are calling CDI but isn't) unit has a discreet circuit(channel) for each coil, so it CAN be bad on one channel and not the other. So, it is not necessarily the wiring.

If you trace the wires back to the TCI unit you can run a jumper wire from the right(suspect) pole on it directly to either coil and find out if that channel is, in fact, faulty.

If you do find that the TCI is bad..the best bang for the buck out there is the Ignitech unit.

http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm[/quote]
That's why i'm posting here my steps and thoughts. I didn't knew that. I thought it had one only channel. Thanks. I'll check it out when re-assemple the bike. :cheers:
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by csofos »

shredex wrote: Just make sure your taking it from the right side.....you dont want to take it from the wrong side and have an off center wheel :yikes:
I did the measurements several times. I don't want something like that either :no
I did the job a couple of hours ago. I put on the rear arm into the frame and the rear suspension system roughly. Fits perfect. Tomorrow i'll make a spacer that i need and graze the frame. The day after tomorrow, i'll take the zxr400 up-side-down and put it on the fzr 750 to see how it fits and looks like.ImageImage
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by csofos »

95FZR600 wrote:I shaved lots off my frame but not much of the bushing and I think I took off more from the right than the left but all swingarms are different.

When the customizing shops build those 240 and 330 kits and make swingarms they have to shave off the frame to. Were doing nothing different than them.
Exactly. And i keep all measurements i do on any swap on this motorcycle. When all it's finished, i'll post them here. Who knows! maybe someone else wants to make something similar. :cheers:
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by csofos »

Well. it's been a long time. And of course, the work gone long. These are some results.

The entire frame grazed

The fuel tank was a mess

And i had to make it from the very start

And just in time fairings arrived. R6 '04-'05

Since i want this bike for track use only, i closed the "eyes"

The R6 '05 tail didn't look good to me. So i bought one from the '08 model

But even that didn't look good to me. These lines show where i have to take it off.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Nice work. This looks very interesting. And like a lot of work.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by csofos »

After that, i had to paint the basic parts, so i can start the assempling. First the frame. Black with mat lacquer. Image

Then the rear arm

And then the rims

Front and rear disc brakes

And of course the calipers and the steering triple clamp
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Are you using ZX-7r or ZX-9r suspension for the one Cris?
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by csofos »

sweekster wrote:Are you using ZX-7r or ZX-9r suspension for the one Cris?
Front suspension and rim it's from zxr400 '90. Rear arm and rim from zxr750 '89, but the suspension it's fzr's original.