660 conversion

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: 660 conversion

Post by cad600 »

Look for one tonight or tomorrow night. It mostly depends on how much time I get to work on it vs. watch the kid.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
dru86
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by dru86 »

If anyone is interested I can make the base gaskets. I'll do a run if I can get 3 people, $55 each shipped to your door (if I get more I'll probably be able to do them cheaper). Then all you need is the yzf600 top and you've gained 15~20hp.
fzr660/400: fzr400 3en1 frame, 3en2 swinger, custom single seat subframe, fzr660 motor conversion, APE adjustable cam gears, full D&D 4-2-1 exhaust, falicon clutch basket, ignitech ignition, R6 front end with tz250 wheel, ohlins shock, storz steering damper, tzr250 rear wheel.

weighs 166kg wet (25kg lighter than my stock fzr600).
diztroy
Site Newbie

Post by diztroy »

For the people interested in using the YZF bottom end, there's an interesting development. We've got a member at yzf600r.com that has easy access to a lot of oem and aftermarket parts. I asked him about the YZF/FZR hybrid seal too and he said he'd look into it....well it looks like he's found one that will work and he's selling it in his online store.

For more info read here,

http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... =46036&st=
j200pruf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by j200pruf »

cad600 wrote:
j200pruf wrote:Hey cad are you talking about having them offest grind the crank? If so there is no way you would get an extra 60ccs doing that. And if your talking about having them weld up the crank and regrinding that way, you would jsut be better off putting an R1 motor in a FZR chassis as it would probably cost about the same.
Also if your are going to the trouble of building a stroker FZR/YZF motor you might as well get the big more kit from tts engineering in the UK for the YZF motor, that way you can get 720cc total :)
This is not true. APE and Falcon can both do the "Stroker" crank. But like I said, it is very expensive. They can do up to 6mm movement with the journals by cutting and rewelding them. The 660 needs 5.2mm of movement for it to happen. And unless your a good enough welder that NASA would hire you, I don't think there is really any way to get a R1 motor into a FZR6/4 frame. As for the 720, yes it is possible but I wouldn't want to pay for it. No one makes pistons for the YZF600 motor, all the piston kits available are for the R6 motor. The tts product is a base gasket from cosmic. So to do it you would need to find a company to make them. Personally, I think piston kits are a huge downfall. Most of them (for the FZR at least) create overheating problems. It also seams that the 660 is more reliable than the 619 or 630 kits as the three people I've talked to that have done it have no problems with their motors. The only thing I cann't deside on is weather or not I want to do the YZF based or standard FZR based build. I think the YZF tranny is a better option, but it doesn't fit in the FZR case and I don't know if the crank seals are worth the trouble to get only a small improvment in tranny longevity.
I know this is an old post but I want to make sure that some of this info is straight. Like I said in my post, that much can't just be offset ground into the crank it would have to be built up by welding just like you stated, the r1 comment was a little bit sarcastic, but some one already did stuff one in a FZR chassis, don't think it was ever finished though.
Last edited by j200pruf on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

just weld 60 cubic centimeters of metal to your motor...then youll have 660...
slayermd
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by slayermd »

dru86 wrote:If anyone is interested I can make the base gaskets. I'll do a run if I can get 3 people, $55 each shipped to your door (if I get more I'll probably be able to do them cheaper). Then all you need is the yzf600 top and you've gained 15~20hp.
Im glad I found this thread, been wondering about 660 conversions myself.

Anyway, with a YZF top and FZR bottom, wouldn't I have to switch out to YZF carbs also? Or is this as simple as it comes with just swapping out top ends? And if you are still making the gaskets, I am interested to buy one. Maybe I can rally a few more people too.
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

slayermd wrote:
dru86 wrote:If anyone is interested I can make the base gaskets. I'll do a run if I can get 3 people, $55 each shipped to your door (if I get more I'll probably be able to do them cheaper). Then all you need is the yzf600 top and you've gained 15~20hp.
Im glad I found this thread, been wondering about 660 conversions myself.

Anyway, with a YZF top and FZR bottom, wouldn't I have to switch out to YZF carbs also? Or is this as simple as it comes with just swapping out top ends? And if you are still making the gaskets, I am interested to buy one. Maybe I can rally a few more people too.
With the carbs, you'd have to swap to the YZF carbs to make it work, but since you have to run a YZF head also, it shouldn't be as big of a deal. Also, since the YZF's had ram air, it's safe to assume that the carbs are not the finicky positive vacuum carbs like our FZR carbs, and would take to pods a little more willingly. my2cents

I'd be interested in a base gasket as well, so count me in.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
slayermd
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by slayermd »

Ok, Im trying to piece everything together and so far to do this I would need-

1. YZF Head
2. YZF Carbs
3. The base gasket

Anything I am missing?
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

slayermd wrote:Ok, Im trying to piece everything together and so far to do this I would need-

1. YZF Head
2. YZF Carbs
3. The base gasket

Anything I am missing?
Here's the list of YZF600(r) parts as I understand it:
Carbs
Head
Cylinders
Pistons
Connecting rods
Base gasket
Cooling tubes

So basically, you'll need everything above the crankshaft and bottom end casings. Then you'll probably want to upgrade the cooling system also.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
dru86
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by dru86 »

As above you'll need everything from the cylinders/conrods up, you'll also need:
yzf600 cam cover and I'd recommend using the fzr600 airbox so you'll need the yzf600 airbox boots. I ran the yzf600 carbs as the yzf600 boots that mount to the head are a larger diameter than the fzr600's plus the fzr600's boots don't fit anyway.

The standard fzr600 rad is fine. I ended up removing my fan when I stuck it in the 400 frame mine, however mine is the model which had the oil cooler.

If both of you guys are interested I'll make 3 spacers gaskets and just hold onto the 3rd till someone else needs one, shoot me a PM.
fzr660/400: fzr400 3en1 frame, 3en2 swinger, custom single seat subframe, fzr660 motor conversion, APE adjustable cam gears, full D&D 4-2-1 exhaust, falicon clutch basket, ignitech ignition, R6 front end with tz250 wheel, ohlins shock, storz steering damper, tzr250 rear wheel.

dru86
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by dru86 »

For those that are following I've pretty much got the jetting perfect now. This is what I'm running on the 660:
A full D&D exhaust
fzr600 K&N
fzr600 airbox with yzf600 boots. The snorkel is trimmed right back (I was going to get a photo when i pulled it apart last night but i forgot)
yzf600 carbs with stage 1 factory pro jet kit (the cheaper one with the blue cover).
128mains (dynojet mains)
clip at position 3 with the washer underneath.
floats height raised 1mm to 12mm(leaned out).
mixture screws at 3 turns.

With the current gearing it only pulls 230 when it hits redline but it easily gets there, when i get the tzr rear wheel in I'll be sticking a 43T on the back and should see almost 260(on the track of course :hyprocrite ) .

SilverJS
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by SilverJS »

Not sure if CAD600 is checking this thread, but he was talking (in the Powerpak thread) about how an Ignitech ignition would be required for the 660. Dru, I know you're running that (right?), but I bought Xian's 683 engine that DID run with a Powerpak, so I wouldn't say it's impossible. Just a heads-up...not saying anybody's wrong, but my understanding was that a 660 could in fact be built using a standard FZR ignition, no...? Higher piston speeds, yes (hence the desirability of stronger con-rods), but same ignition curve because you're got the same flywheel activating the same ignition. Correct me if I'm wrong...?
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

I've heard from one person that the PowerPak could run the 660. But for this engine, I think the Ignitech is a better option. I think the ignition curve between the FZR and YZF are the same or at least close enough that it wouldn't matter. Could be wrong though. If you look at the wire harnesses of both, you will notice that they are very similar. I think the only real differences are the locations of the VR and temp sensor as well as how the gauges and TCI connect to it. Other than that, they are nearly identical.

I actually bought a crank oil seal from someone on the YZF600 forum that is suppose to be the correct diameters to run the FZR crank in the YZF engine case. I just now got done looking at it, and it looks like it will work fine. We'll see if it really does or not when I try to crank it up though.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
diztroy
Site Newbie

Post by diztroy »

Hey Cad, I got that seal too, so we'll both find out.....I'm still a long way from that project though.

I don't think I"ve posted it here, but if you interested in the differences in the ignitions, I've made some slides,

YZF600 1995-1996 (I havn't been able to find any info on the 97+, I suspect because of the addition of adjustable timing via the TPS)

http://www.oldskoolyzf.com/gallery2/mai ... temId=1102
http://www.oldskoolyzf.com/gallery2/mai ... temId=1105

FZR600

http://www.oldskoolyzf.com/gallery2/mai ... temId=1108
http://www.oldskoolyzf.com/gallery2/mai ... temId=1111

The only thing thats incorrect, is that I realized after I made the YZF slide that the ignition timing is slightly different between the 1995 and 1996, and I can't remember which one is one the slide above.

Anywho, just adding to the knowledge base. :cheers: