bike modding...

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Re: bike modding...

Post by the_finch »

Looking good, Match. Keep up the good work. Did I read some of the earlier stuff right that you installed a R6 radiator? I got one from Haunter a little bit back and was working out how to mount it, and would love to see someone else's conversion. Also, how did you deal with the inlets/outlets bein wrong (up/down, down/up)?
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

shredex wrote:i have an extra relay for the fiz, its not the turn signal relay, but the other one, not sure if thats the one your looking for or not
if my 3en-81950-00 one doesn't work then I'll probably ask you to rush deliver it to me.
sweekster wrote:If the relay is a 3EN then it should work (as long as it still does...you know how electronics are...). Did you have the battery connected while you were welding everything up? Nice work on the tail swap by the way.
so it should work then? everything else on my bike says 3he, and this says 3en, are you sure? can someone just go look under the seat and write down the pn? and no, battery was disconnected, i even disconnected the CDI just to be safe. I am going to get the 99 - 02 r6 fuel pump anyway, because it bolts underneath the tank vs mine just hanging there.
the_finch wrote:Looking good, Match. Keep up the good work. Did I read some of the earlier stuff right that you installed a R6 radiator? I got one from Haunter a little bit back and was working out how to mount it, and would love to see someone else's conversion. Also, how did you deal with the inlets/outlets bein wrong (up/down, down/up)?
No, but I do want to install a radiator with the cap on it vs the cap being under the tank. As soon as i find one that is the same apprx size w/ a cap on it, i'm putting it on. My R6 tank mod calls for the radiator cap to be moved, as it is in the way. As far as the inlets/outlets, make sure it still goes in the upper outlet and comes out of the lower outlet, if not then it will mess up the flow. as long as the inner/outer are where they re supposed to be, you can turn it around, upside down, whatever, it will still work, so whatever looks easiest to mount.
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

also what i want to do is... http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.ph ... opic=37748 ...my friend will sell me the swingarm with all the hardware for $30, it's from an 05, and he also has an 07 R6S one, which I think is the same exact thing. But that means more welding, on it...I don't know, i'll probably just get the swingarm from him and wait 6 months before I work on it again. The swingarm looks sick though, actually...CRAP..i have to replace my sprocket before I get safety inspected next month, and I was planning on just swapping out my rim for an R6 rim/swingarm/sprocket.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

looks great, still gotta change out the front fairings though for it to be perfect :thumbsup:
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

bad fuel pump..i guess since i let it sit for two months the old gas inside screwed it up, i looked for a way to take it apart to try to clean it but it's sealed i think. I almost took it off to bring it back, but i didn't want to leak gas everywhere. so i'm in the process of trying to find a r6 fuel pump locally. i ran mine straight to the battery and it did the same thing it was doing through the relay. I tested both my relays and they both work fine.

GREAT NEWS THOUGH! i'm so excited...i found a guy locally parting out an 04 yzf600 w/ 11k miles. SO..i paid him $120 and got the parts listed below for my bike...

stator cover w/ stator and pickup coil
clutch cover w/ actuator and clutch cable
carbs w/ cables
right side handlebar for my friends bike

he also has the tank, switches, regulator, swingarm, rear wheel, and nearly everything else, it looks like i was the first person to get to it after it was wrecked. So if you guys want any parts, you can let me know, i'll call him, get the parts, and send them off. He seems like a good guy, and let the parts go for cheap. Bike just has major front end damage, thats it, header and radiator is ok, just screwed up forks, right fairing, and front fairing.

so whenever i find a fuel pump, i'll get the bike back to my house and replace my old parts with the stuff i bought. I can't wait to get the carbs on since they have 11k miles on them, mine have 28k miles and run pretty good as they are.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

match417 wrote:also what i want to do is... http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.ph ... opic=37748 ...my friend will sell me the swingarm with all the hardware for $30, it's from an 05, and he also has an 07 R6S one, which I think is the same exact thing. But that means more welding, on it...I don't know, i'll probably just get the swingarm from him and wait 6 months before I work on it again. The swingarm looks sick though, actually...CRAP..i have to replace my sprocket before I get safety inspected next month, and I was planning on just swapping out my rim for an R6 rim/swingarm/sprocket.
Ha i remember when Spyder did that. Came out really nice. Go for it man. I think that swinger is the similar dimensions to the swinger swaps that CrazyIvan and 95FZR600 did.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
FinaLd8ta
Site Newbie

Post by FinaLd8ta »

wow u went threw all that just to mount the 03 R6 tail

i just got done doin mine and i didnt have to add anything to the frame at all. just took alittle away from the subframe butt that was it, butt i can understand if ur gona have someone on the back and all that support is gona be needed, nice job

for the under tail i have to chop it up abit from the passenger peg mounts and i still got to keep the stock undertail to keep all my electronics from getting wet

only thing now is i need to find a rear seat cowl or a seat to finish it up
1989 FZR 600,
MODS: R6 master, clutch perch, and VR
93 FZR 4pot calipers (89 is 2 pot caliper)
and 4in X 18im rear rim (89 is 3.5in wide)
full muzzy exhaust, uni airfilter
BODY: choped tail, frame and rims black, Image
Vance/Hines engine covers

furture MODS
new plastics
R6 tail
race teck springs or r6 front susp

as of now she has no plastics on at all
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

FinaLd8ta wrote:wow u went threw all that just to mount the 03 R6 tail

i just got done doin mine and i didnt have to add anything to the frame at all. just took alittle away from the subframe butt that was it, butt i can understand if ur gona have someone on the back and all that support is gona be needed, nice job

for the under tail i have to chop it up abit from the passenger peg mounts and i still got to keep the stock undertail to keep all my electronics from getting wet

only thing now is i need to find a rear seat cowl or a seat to finish it up
cant you cut off the passenger peg mounts , well i can see u might need the right side to hold the exhaust if your running a normal style slip on .. but how much of the undertail do you have to cutoff , and will the undertail fit with the undertray still attached
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

in order for the undertail to fit smoothly you have to cut a chunk out of the front middle of it that is about 7 inches wide and about 9 inches deep OR get the sweet looking aftermarket R6 undertail off eBay that is shorter and has the turnsignals built into it(it's $70). I almost got it, but I'd have to pay for it..lol..my undertail and tail was free! :) .. As far as the undertail fitting with the undertray still attached..I don't know exactly. The guy that had my bike before me hacked up the undertray on my bike and cut up the tail fairing a little bit to make it look sleeker. My undertray is cut off after the cdi mount, and that slips above the R6 undertail.
FinaLd8ta
Site Newbie

Post by FinaLd8ta »

yea i am still using the stock under tray to hold all my electronics all i had to do was cut slits in the under tail for the brackets to clear ill post some pics this weekend of it when its not raining and im not at work
1989 FZR 600,
MODS: R6 master, clutch perch, and VR
93 FZR 4pot calipers (89 is 2 pot caliper)
and 4in X 18im rear rim (89 is 3.5in wide)
full muzzy exhaust, uni airfilter
BODY: choped tail, frame and rims black, Image
Vance/Hines engine covers

furture MODS
new plastics
R6 tail
race teck springs or r6 front susp

as of now she has no plastics on at all
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

ok, i know it's been a while..but I just got my bike all back together, my fuel pump went out after letting it sit for so long. It sounded like it was priming funny 4 or 5 months ago, then after i let it sit for 3 months it decides to stop working. The tank that I had in my trunk for the last year for my conversion had surface rust in it, so I bought a kreem kit and got the rust out/coated the inside of the tank. Also mounted the R1 fuel pump to the bottom of the tank and connected everything. I still need to put gas in it and mount the reservoir i made (below) before I actually ride it, i'm not riding it w/o a reservoir. I cut up my old one and reshaped it using the plastic it was made from so it would tuck in to the side of the R6 tail fairing, i still need to see where I want the cap to sit when i weld that plastic on. And I finally got around to starting on my homemade fairing piece to cover the gap between the tank and the frame. It's only painted cardboard right now, just so I can see how it looks and reshape it to what the finished product needs to look like, but i'm loving how it looks so far! I'll plastic weld something sometime this week now that I have a carboard template.

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

I forgot to ask.
Are you going to do a fairing conversion as well?
personaly, I think the stock ones throw the bike off...
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

yes, full 03 - 05 R6 conversion (minus the 2000 tank), i have the front already, and the same guy that gave me the tail has the upper right fairing, i just have to pick it up..also, there is a guy on the other side of the island that is parting out two crashed R6's, so I should be able to get enough fairing pieces off of those two (considering he has the crashed pieces still) so I can do a full R6 conversion. after that..headlights and windscreen, i have cracked windscreen from the same guy that I got the front from..but it's cracked and chipped, that's probably the only thing that i'll buy new is the headlights and the windscreen, those I can't fix.

here is the front..from a crashed bike of course, :-D ..plastic welded back together

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

match417 wrote: probably the only thing that i'll buy new is the headlights and the windscreen, those I can't fix.
yes...lol...I bought my 04-06 r1 headlights used, and they said that 1 had a broken tab, and the other was cracked...and that they both were fixable.
well, come to find out, one had 3 broken tabs, and was missing one and 1 was missing a big piece of it and the other was just completly missing...
the other has two broken tabs, one of which I was able to plastic weld back together, and the other was just completly missing...
thats what I get for only paying $80 plus shipping for both 04-06 r1 headlights!
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

hahahahahaaaa...i'm rewarding myself with cheesecake pumpkin pie, or pumpkin cheesecake pie..whatever it's called..it's awesome! I just finished cutting up my new fairing pieces from my old tank cover..i just ran outside and they fit my bike fine :-D , now i just have to make mounts for them..