FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: bike modding...

Post by match417 »

shredex wrote:love it, match!
Im still working on my inner fairing job.
I wish I had the time to do stuff like this on my bike, but its hard being transportationless.

anyways, looks like everything is turning out great!
keep us updated with lots of pics, maybe a vid or two. :headbang:
what inner fairing job?

i know what you mean about being transportationless..i kindof made a bad decision. Right now my car isn't legal to drive around, so i've been riding the bike around. I let someone borrow my car, then i pick it up at her house because she wasn't there and realize back windshield was busted out, now i can't get in touch with her..on top of that my throw-out bearing/slave cylinder (one part) goes out. My safety inspection has expired too, so i'll get pulled over if i drive it. I've been letting it sit because i have the bike, i'll fix the car later. Then the bike thermostat went from being locked open to locked shut, screwed up my rad cap seals, and some o-rings from the overheating. The bike was down, and I decided to do a "quick" tail conversion, i sold my 04 CBR tail conversion for more cash, bought the parts, but I don't have the time to to the conversion. So i'm stuck without a car to drive..luckily i have a lot of good friends that let me borrow their cars/bikes..rode a YZF600 for about a week, rode a Suzuki Intruder for a few days, i forget what else i've driven, but right now i'm borrowing my friends pathfinder. Even though the R6 tail looks more sleek and is more comfortable to the passenger than the CBR tail was on my bike, i probably still should have just replaced the thermostat/rad cap/o-rings and kept riding the bike around, instead of thinking that downtime was a good time to do the conversion. Hindsight is 20/20 i guess..

and i'll put a vid up after it's all done
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

match417 wrote:
shredex wrote:love it, match!
Im still working on my inner fairing job.
I wish I had the time to do stuff like this on my bike, but its hard being transportationless.

anyways, looks like everything is turning out great!
keep us updated with lots of pics, maybe a vid or two. :headbang:
what inner fairing job?

i know what you mean about being transportationless..i kindof made a bad decision. Right now my car isn't legal to drive around, so i've been riding the bike around. I let someone borrow my car, then i pick it up at her house because she wasn't there and realize back windshield was busted out, now i can't get in touch with her..on top of that my throw-out bearing/slave cylinder (one part) goes out. My safety inspection has expired too, so i'll get pulled over if i drive it. I've been letting it sit because i have the bike, i'll fix the car later. Then the bike thermostat went from being locked open to locked shut, screwed up my rad cap seals, and some o-rings from the overheating. The bike was down, and I decided to do a "quick" tail conversion, i sold my 04 CBR tail conversion for more cash, bought the parts, but I don't have the time to to the conversion. So i'm stuck without a car to drive..luckily i have a lot of good friends that let me borrow their cars/bikes..rode a YZF600 for about a week, rode a Suzuki Intruder for a few days, i forget what else i've driven, but right now i'm borrowing my friends pathfinder. Even though the R6 tail looks more sleek and is more comfortable to the passenger than the CBR tail was on my bike, i probably still should have just replaced the thermostat/rad cap/o-rings and kept riding the bike around, instead of thinking that downtime was a good time to do the conversion. Hindsight is 20/20 i guess..

and i'll put a vid up after it's all done
yes, my inner fairing job
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2152

that sucks about the wind shield, but at least youve got nice enough friends to let you borrow there rides! :cheers:
If my bike is down, then iv got nothing.

so you dont have your radiator problem fixed yet??
should get your parents to send back some parts from your other bike.
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

well, i've worked on a lot of my friends cars and rides, whether that be at the shop or just at my house, so they trust me, and they usually bring their cars to me to look at because the shops around here are so shady.

and my friend pointed out last night..it's actually not my chain that's giving me problems, it's my sprocket, i revived my bike after it sat for 4 years from the previous owner, and i never noticed how my sprocket has some slight surface rust on it that made the chain slowly eat away the sprocket. Now my chain is drooping more and more because the sprocket is getting smaller. I'll probably get a new sprocket when I get the 180 tire on the R6 rim/yzf600 swingarm, but i haven't checked the front sprocket. everything other than that is pretty much fine with my bike, i just have to finish the conversion. The radiator problem is fixed, i just had to cut off the rad cap bracket, and i just have to put it back on out of the way of the tank bracket. I mentioned the rad cap/thermostat problem because that gave me the idea to upgrade the tail while it was down. I could get my parents to send me the sprocket, but my dad would have to dig through boxes and boxes of motorcycle parts since i took it all apart before i sent it to their house (and another but), but the other sprocket came off of another old bike that sat for a while. I mixed the two bikes together for a good running bike for cheap.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

your doing a swingarm swap also???
make sure to take pics of it and post it up here and keep us updated
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

not right now, i will be later..when my car is running and I have something to drive and the bike isn't the only way to get around. the same thing goes for the R1 front end. this business i'm starting with a guy i know has to be going good, giving me more free time and more $$ than I have now. right now i do a lot of little odd jobs, repairing nearly everything i can in addition to my job.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

anymore updates on your bike??
get it up and opporational yet?
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

hopefully i'll have an update after sunday, my friend that was letting me work on it at his house had to fly to cali for an emergency a week ago, and he said he didn't want me welding at his house because of his landlords, so i just moved the bike to my other friends house this week, but his house is like 45 minutes away, w/o traffic, and after 2pm it's bumper to bumper for 25 miles until 7pm(weekdays), so it's hard to get there during the week, this little island only has 1 major freeway, and two other little freeways that branch off of it, so it gets crowded. i have to finish working on something tomorrow morning, then i'm running over that way to work on it, hopefully, and probably work on it sunday. after that it should be done. and I changed the color to black through the DMV when i registered it last week, that should make me want to paint it black quicker.
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

ok..nearly done..just small stuff and i'm on the road again..good thing i snagged that bed frame from in front of my house, it came in handly..lol..i love free metal. oh, and please excuse the crappiness of the pics, i forgot my camera and took pics with my cell...

sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Impressive. That's looks quite strong.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

clean up those welds with a grinder before you paint it!
looks great. If I had the money I would have bought one of those seats and molded a new tank.
im going to try and get my hands on an 04-06 r1 tank to make a mold from so i can make a new tank cover.
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Looking good. Cant wait to see it come together. More pics.....
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

shredex wrote:clean up those welds with a grinder before you paint it!
looks great. If I had the money I would have bought one of those seats and molded a new tank.
im going to try and get my hands on an 04-06 r1 tank to make a mold from so i can make a new tank cover.
my friend told me to stop grinding last night as it was getting late and he didn't want his neighbors calling security, so i just stopped and primed it because surface rust shows up quick here in Hawaii. And good luck on the tank mold, post pics of it..sounds interesting
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

crap..

the bike is done, i'm ready to ride, i assemble it all back together, and now my fuel pump isn't priming??? what's the deal? When I turn the key, the fuel pump clicks once, instead of repeatedly. Just checked the wiring diagram, the black wire is ground, and is shared with the turn signals. The turn signals work, so it's not the ground. The blue black wire runs straight to the relay pack. I doubt the welding fried the relay pack, but I guess anything is possible on a 17 yr old bike. I put a voltmeter on the plug coming out of the harness and checked to see if there is power. No, no power coming out of the relay, but that doesn't explain how it clicks once when I turn the key...ugh. Relay is half-engaging? I have a spare relay, part number 3en-81950-00, can someone tell me if this is the right relay for my bike? I have a lot of different bike parts laying around and I am not 100% sure this goes to the fizzer. Oh, my bike is 45 minutes away from my house...which sucks because i can't troubleshoot here. So tomorrow, i'm going to work on it.

but i thought i'd post the last pics up despite the problems..conversion is done..woohoo! :banana:

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

i have an extra relay for the fiz, its not the turn signal relay, but the other one, not sure if thats the one your looking for or not
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

If the relay is a 3EN then it should work (as long as it still does...you know how electronics are...). Did you have the battery connected while you were welding everything up? Nice work on the tail swap by the way.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!