Headlight diameter question

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

peterlm
Site Newbie

Headlight diameter question

Post by peterlm »

Hi FZR Forum
I got an Italian motorcycle. Im rebuilding it to fit my 195 cm body and this includes an old full-fairing.
I bought it last month and I have spend some time fitting it and figuring out what to do with it. It came without any headlight and it needs some fiberglass work in order to be good again.

I will fit a dual headlight on it and a headlight assembly from a FZR seems to be a good solution for me. But I need to figure out what model and year to pick from before looking on E-Bay. I hope you can help me.

Can anyone please help me here? I need the diameter of the round headlights and the center distance.
I think the headlights of the FZR 600 might be the smallest, and fits my fairing.

How is the light pattern? Does both headlights have a high/low beam or is one for low and another for high?

Regards

Peter
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: Headlight diameter question

Post by TomcatMJ »

FZR 400 and FZR 600 have the same Diameters and Mounting-Frame, both have 135 mm Diameter per Glass as far as i remember (same as one of the GSX or GSF Models from Suzuki or as older BMW-Car-Headlights from 1970s).
The european FZR 600 Headlights have additional a Parkinglight Bulb in the left Headlight and both, the european and the US/Canadian Models have high and low beam in both Headlights, but in case of the US and Canada Versions without the Parkinglight as they use dimmed low Beam for Parkinglight instead of a separate Bulb.
FZR 1000 have also the same Measurements of the Headlights Housing,but the Mountingpoints differe a bit and the Glasses are in a bit different shape, plane at the US FZR 400 and 600, round like a balls surface at the european Versions, fzr 1000 a bit diagonal...

FZR 1000 Headlight-Unit:
ImageFZ-RD-Fan_IMG_1350 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr

Rearview of an US-FZR 400s Headlights:
Image2015-01-10-345 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr

Side/Top View of the same:
Image2015-01-10-347 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr

Frontview of the US-FZR 400 Headlights:
Image2015-01-10-344 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr

Mounted in the Bike:
Image02042013295 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr

European FZR 600 Headlights mounted in a US-FZR 400:
Image2015-12-31-551 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr

Fact is, the european FZR 400/FZR 600 Models with round double-Headlights use Bilux Bulbs and these don't have such a good luminance as the US-H4 Bulbs, but german TÜV sometimesdoesn't accept DOT-Numbers on Headlights (seems to be depending of the mood of the Testing Guy there as usually they could accept Headlights with DOT-Number if the decide its equivalent in the lighting angles in their opinion) and explicitely wants E-Numbers on them, so i had to change to the E-Number Headlights before re-registration of my black 3BF regardless of the amount of light they give :-/ ..otherwise this one Guy would have stopped me in getting back my 3BF legally on the road again.
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)