fzr750rt blue ignition wire where does it go.

FZR750 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

markopolofzr
Site Newbie

fzr750rt blue ignition wire where does it go.

Post by markopolofzr »

Hi ive just bought a 1987 fzr750rt candian import. the origional engine has been taken out 2tt type as apparently the starter clutch has gone. i plan to rebuild this shortly. The bike has been fitted with a fz750 engine but it only turns over there is no spark at all. ive checked the coils and suspect them to be faulty. The bike came with 3 cdi units and several sets of coils. All the coild appear to be dead. the wiring is a mess. The red connector which i think is from the alternator has partialy melted and there is a blue wire from the ignition that is just been cut off and goes nowhere. does anyone know where it goes. Also there is a black bullet type connector near the fuse box that has no wire attached to it. Is this engine even going to be able to work in an fzr, they do seem the same engine so i hope so. so main questions for you guys thay know these bikes.

Where does the blue ignition wire go?
What cdi unit should be on this bike (its a full power candian import but does this cdi work with the fz engine and what numbers are on the correct cdi for each engine as i have 3)?
Whats the black bullet connector under the lh side panel?
Will this engine work in this bike?

Sorry there is so many questions, the bike was cheap and now i know why. Thanks all
highsign
Site Newbie

Re: fzr750rt blue ignition wire where does it go.

Post by highsign »

I have an 87FZR750RT and The black wire by the fuse box dead ends there. As for the blue wire coming off the ign. switch, it comes throught the frame in front of the carbs and into a three wire connector along with a red and a brown wire. The three wire harness joins the main harness and heads back to a black multi con. just behind the left front coil. If you don't have these con. let me know and I'll run them down with the meter so you can direct wire it. The digital igniter# TID14-62 (2NK-10). We use to have looms for race bikes only but for street bikes it was easier to find a used harness. Don't know about the FZ eng. swap but the FZR cases retain the mounting castings of the FZ. Don't know if this is any help and as I was reading it back to myself I got a head ache. Good Luck
Live in the US and my bike is a 1987 FZR 750 US model made in 1/87
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

The blue wire coming off the ignition is for your "Park" lights - the 5W elements in the front signal lamps and in the tail bulbs.
markopolofzr
Site Newbie

Post by markopolofzr »

The 14-62 is that for the bike with a fzr750 engine in it. Ive since found out that the engine is a 1985fz 750 engine, black with gold side casings and rocker cover. the cdi quoted for this engine is 14-39. should i use the 14-39 with it or the 14-62, all very confusing. Also thanks for the help with the blue wire, bit odd as the rear light and indicators work as they should. Headlight works normal and high so maybe they have been bridged somewhere. Im getting new coils from a fzr1000 in about an hour so ill see if i can get a spark if not ill have to get the cdi checked. many thanks all.