88 fzr cutting out...

FZR750 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

qkenuf4u
Site Newbie

88 fzr cutting out...

Post by qkenuf4u »

ok thought i had the problem figured out but still cutting out... its a customers bike and once ya get to 6-8k it starts to spitter/sputter all the way up to redline. noticed it was missing the FUEL PUMP so got a R1 pump and wired it in.. pump works perfect and shuts off/comes on as it should....
carbs where SUPPOSEDLY gone thru by another shop but gonna pull them today and look them over myself. also gonna pull plugs.
any ideas are appriciated... :thumbsup:
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: 88 fzr cutting out...

Post by sweekster »

My first thoughts would be needle position in that they are sitting too high. That is assuming someone has put adjustable needles in there
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
qkenuf4u
Site Newbie

Post by qkenuf4u »

good call...
got the carbs out and apart.... it has a on/off idle problem also... the pilots where clear for the most part..... the needles look to be aluminun and where set way high.... anyone got a pic of the order of parts on the needle (e-clip, shim, washer etc) im thinking that might be the main problem cause they had the big fat orange plastic washer/shim UNDER the e-clip which would push the needle WAY up outta the needle jet.... :yikes: but plugs looks great color wise :headscratch: . guess that would make sense since it never really makes it onto the main jet since it doesnt like to run there (well not very well anyways)
someone put champions in it for plugs... bonkonhead

these are the parts i have for the needle now.... anyone know the exact order they go in..... (the orange spacer was below the e-clip- like having the e-clip in the middle slot)

what groove is the e-clip supposed to be in for a stock bike ?

sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Nothing wrong with champion plugs. I have champions in my 1000 and have't had a problem with them. Try second clip from the top and remove a shim so it sits lower into the needle jet. I don't actually recall them coming with adjustable needles from yamaha either
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
qkenuf4u
Site Newbie

Post by qkenuf4u »

ya i dont think any STOCK bike has adjustable needles ... not that ive ever seen as a bike tech..... glad to see im thinking on the right track with this problemm.. never messed/worked on FZR's yet in my career... same concept as any other carbed bike but theres always those little things that ya dont know that get ya...... ill try middle slot and see what happens... atleast i can move the needles around pretty easy on these bikes once the tank/air box are off...
oh and champions are for f f f f f fords........ :whistle ... ill pick up some NGK's tomorrow when my parts guy is open.... :thumbsup: