FZR750 air filter joints

FZR750 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Br1zzy
Site Newbie

FZR750 air filter joints

Post by Br1zzy »

Hey all,

Currently putting the bike back together after months of neglect. A little background, I took the air box off of the carbs, and it seemed to have lifted off effortlessly. The joints/tubes that connect the carbs to the airbox seem rather hard compared to the opposite ends that direct air to the filter itself. They don't seem to be dry-rotted, but are a bitch to install (I thought it would be easier to install the joints onto the carbs first before putting the airbox back on). Is this normal? I wanted to get an experienced opinion before I broke something/started to order parts that I may not need. Pictures below for reference, thanks in advance!

Joint in question:

What I am attempting:
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: FZR750 air filter joints

Post by TomcatMJ »

Might be easier to remount them when you heat them up with a hairdryer as the rubber gets hard during the years but if tehy´re not cracked heat is the way to get them flexible again for a little time which should last enough to remount them again. Mounting them first to the carbs and reheating with the hairdryer afterwards to remount them to the airbox is a usual way for old rubber-joints ;)
Its also possible that a little bit of motoroil might be helpful enough so that heating is not really neccesary, so i would try it with some drips of oil at first and if thats not working well enough then dry them with a kitchenpaper or an old piece of textile and try the heating-method.
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Br1zzy
Site Newbie

Re: FZR750 air filter joints

Post by Br1zzy »

TomcatMJ wrote:Might be easier to remount them when you heat them up with a hairdryer as the rubber gets hard during the years but if tehy´re not cracked heat is the way to get them flexible again for a little time which should last enough to remount them again. Mounting them first to the carbs and reheating with the hairdryer afterwards to remount them to the airbox is a usual way for old rubber-joints ;)
Its also possible that a little bit of motoroil might be helpful enough so that heating is not really neccesary, so i would try it with some drips of oil at first and if thats not working well enough then dry them with a kitchenpaper or an old piece of textile and try the heating-method.
Completely forgot to thank you for this! Honestly, I haven't been too adamant about getting this thing back together and it's still in pieces. banghead