Another 2LM De-Restrict Questiom

FZR750 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

R_MAC
Site Newbie

Another 2LM De-Restrict Questiom

Post by R_MAC »

Hi, bought a 2LM off a mate earlier this year, he had it since 2001 and it seems to be partially de-restricted as it easily outruns my TRX from about 80mph. I've had the airbox off and there doesn't appear to be any restrictor, also the bike came with an OVER 4/1 pipe, it was on the bike when my mate bought it so no restriction there either.

With these modifications alone what sort of performance increase from stock should I expect?

Secondly, I've picked up a TID 14-57 2GH Ignitor (87/88 FZR1000?) as far as I can tell this should work as a replacement but what exactly does the FZR1000 TDI do that the stock TDI doesn't and what gains can I expect over the airbox/exhaust changes that are already done?
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Re: Another 2LM De-Restrict Questiom

Post by Evilchicken0 »

Can't advise you on these, we didn't get them in the UK, but when the restricted the Thou they put webs in the carb rubbers you could cut them out with a scalple. One thing though cut them and smooth any ridges out.

If this is a Japan import it could be more involved
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
R_MAC
Site Newbie

Post by R_MAC »

Thanks, no we didn't get any FZR750's in the UK, the 2LM is the Japanese home market model so is restricted as standard. Restricted airbox and IIRC restriction in the exhaust headers are 2 things that would have had to be sorted except that mines already done in these areas. I read elsewhere about the FZR1000 Genesis 87/88 ignitor swap but don't know what it's supposed to achieve, perhaps it alters the ignition curve or alter the rev limit etc, I don't know and those recommending fitting it didn't say why it should be fitted. Like I say I have one ready to fit (after I check what size jets I have fitted) but until I know why I should fit it I'll stick with the stock Ignitor.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

If it's like the FZR400 Jap market then they have a speed restriction on them which comes it at 180kmh or 112mph. They cut two cylinders so it feels like it's running onto resverve. Have a look at the back of the speedo, if there are electric wires coming out then there's a speed restrictor. Don't just disconnect it, the 400's will restrict in every gear if you do.

With the 400 the quickest way to solve it is fit a kmh > mph mechanical converter so the restriction comes in at 180mph. The second way is to fit a M-Max derestrictor, it fits between the loom and the speedo.
Then you can get a 4DX (official import) CDI which is plug and play
Finally you can have the CDI doctored but on the 3TJ this removes the protection circuit (side stand cut out, fuel reserve, red line etc)
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
R_MAC
Site Newbie

Post by R_MAC »

I don't think it's restricted like the 400, it definitely goes over 112mph easily as when my mate had it it left my TRX850 for dead after 100mph. You mention a 4DX CDI as an official import unit, can't be for an FZR750 as there were no official import FZR750's in the UK. From what I've read the Japanese market FZR750 was restricted in at least 3 ways, maybe 4.

1. Header restriction (doesn't apply to mine as it has an Over Racing full system)
2. Airbox Restriction (Doesn't apply, I checked the airbox, restrictor has been removed)
3. Main Jets (Probably doesn't apply as mine would have needed re-jetted to suit the Over pipe, de-restricted airbox)
4. Possibly some restriction with the Stock Ignitor (mine has the stock Ignitor, I have the one recommended to fully de-restrict, an FZR1000 Genesis Ignitor but I can't find out what advantage it provides over the stock ignitor)

Basically what I need to know is why I should fit the FZR1000 Ignitor.