1988 fz750 (pure sports) head gasket question

FZR750 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: 1988 fz750 (pure sports) head gasket question

Post by yamaha_george »

McFizzer wrote:If you take some oven cleaner on those valves with a wire brush and scrub the piss outta it for like 10 minutes you should be in better shape... Just a suggestion, nice FZ.
McF,
Oven cleaner is basically Lye or Caustic Soda and as such will AGGRESSIVELY attack alloy so is to be used with EXTREME caution and the item VERY thoroughly with water with vinegar in it to neutralise the Oven cleaner.
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

I know YG, hence I said for like 10 minutes. dont wanna let it soak or it will eat the piss out of it, but like you said, if you use with care, you'll be getting them really nice.
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
SEMO
Site Newbie

Post by SEMO »

Thanks guys, I actually already put the head back on with a new gasket and torqued it down so no further cleaning for me. I'm awaiting my valve shims and I'll be ready to put it all back together. Thats a REALLY good picture of my bike btw haha. A few weeks ago I actually laid it down and put a crack or two in that pretty side... :( the other side was cracked when I got it. So I think i'm going to do some plastex or fiberglass work on the fairings and get it back in good cosmetic shape sometime this winter. I love the full fairings but I also love the red/white/blue color scheme so I was thinking of painting it like this. Crude pic I know, but you get the point hah. Any thoughts?

McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

I think that would look bitchin to the max, But instead of yamaha on the tank I would just go with the tuning forks. Just my 2 cents. I think I may go that route when i paint mine. But I have a few different schemes thought out...
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
kiki231
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by kiki231 »

i am sure it has been mentioned here before, but if you modify the paint scheme, yet want to maintain some authenticity to the actual colors, Colorite has perfect matches to the various yamaha hues over the years.
When things get expensive, I become a fast learner...

[i]1989 FZR600
2009 R1[/i]
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

I think Sikken paint codes for the authentic colour matches are listed in the WIKI
if not I know for sure they are in our old mail store here on the forum.so it is a case for our SEARCH engine.
SEMO
Site Newbie

Post by SEMO »

Thanks! I'll definitely try to use authentic colors. I got it back together today! It idles better than ever thanks to the valve adjustment i'm sure. It's raining so I haven't been able to take it out on the road yet but it's only a matter of time. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll keep ya posted with pics when I decide to paint!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Well my memory was at it again. So I added the codes see separate thread on that