87 FZ750 fuel level or float height?

FZR750 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ddnova
Site Newbie

87 FZ750 fuel level or float height?

Post by ddnova »

Can't find what the stock float bowl height is for a 87 FZ750 genesis. The fuel level is supposed to be 8.3 mm but is this measured from what point on the carb? and what are the lines marked for on the outside of the bowls as this marking would be way too much fuel if that were the level. I recently purchased the bike and it was running way too rich (jet black gas soaked plugs) It does have a K&N kit running 108 main jets.
So I have so far set my float bowl heights to 14mm, (huge difference from where they were like 21mm) , set my air/fuel 2.0 turns out and moved the needle clip 2nd from the top (was 3rd notch from top). It has made a monster difference, the bike now starts easier, idles smoothly and no longer backfires upon deceleration from high RPM and plugs are tan in color. I do however get a moment of "bogging" if Im cruising along at 4-5000 rpm then give the throttle a twist, like its getting too much fuel (loading up) so I'm figure the float bowls might be incorrect still. The needles can only be adjusted down 1 more notch so am thinking they are correct as stock setting is where they are now
Your help is greatly appreciated
Thanks, Darren
1987 FZ750 Genesis
FZRNorway
Site Newbie

Re: 87 FZ750 fuel level or float height?

Post by FZRNorway »

Hi Darren,
Got the same issue with my 87 FZR750 (2LM jap. import).
Before I started, the float heigts were 13-14mm, but the engine hesitated when accelerating from 1.5-2.0k rpm. Also, it was not running properly when starting from cold with choke. Otherwise the spark plugs were looking fine, so I don't think it was running lean/rich.

The fuel height should be 7,3-9,3mm above the mark on the bowls (Haynes), but this is not possible as this means I have to bend the tang on the floats so much that the valves not closes properly. The best I can get is fuel height approx. 10mm below the marks (float height is then ca. 9mm). Now it is starting and idling fine, and has a smoot acceleration all the way. But, would have been nice to know what's the correct fuel height setting!!!!!!!

When it comes to the other adjustments of the carbs (jets, needle position etc.) it is a good advice to take one step at the time, and have a test run / check spark plugs between each step. For the throttle range influenced by each setting, this site can be helpful:
http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm. Remember that K&N-kits, power filters etc. often will require other changes from the standard carb settings.

TS
ClassicFZR750
Site Newbie

Re: 87 FZ750 fuel level or float height?

Post by ClassicFZR750 »

Hi Guys
Mine was A Grey Import as well. It was under jetted and very lean mid range. The float setting is very important for mid and low range.
Have a look at the Factory Pro web site. http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prody03.html. I have fitted one of Marc's kits and the change is phenomenal.Revs to red line in top and pulls from idle. The measurement that he suggest is correct. It works out level with where the needle jet protrusion is.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Bruce
1987 YAMAHA FZR750R New project one month old