fz 750 missing the R

FZR750 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

fznut
Site Newbie

fz 750 missing the R

Post by fznut »

Hi hope you guys dont mind an fz750 guy joining in; looking for some advice on rebuilding my 86 fz750; has any one used piston rings from another manufacturer. mine are shaggeg\d too large an end gap; and bloody price yamaha want for new ones is absurd. O rperhaps i should look at oversize from another maker; any ideas? any ideas on making them go harder; apart from installing 1000 motor!! Any one out there used ceramic coatings inside there engine; id like some feed back cheers :yutugh2:
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: fz 750 missing the R

Post by ragedigital »

Welcome! Glad to have an air cooled member aboard!

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
tkclow
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by tkclow »

Welcome aboard, get some pics of the bike posted when you get a chance. :worthlesswithoutpics:
92 FZR600
Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon Fiber Slip-on
02 R6 Caliper and MC Swap with S/S Lines
Dual Headlight Upper Swap
Clear Taillight w/LED Bulbs
Vortex 520 Conversion 14/47 RK Gold Chain
Shinko 006 Podium 150/60/18 rear 110/70/17 Front
More To Come
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

What part of the world are you in? I ask because one option may be to talk with an automotive engine tuner. But you will be looking for someone who works with small engine like a Honda Civic engine. I've heard of engine builders making their own piston rings before, but most of them near me won't touch an engine that small as they all work on big V8 engines.

Another source is to contact an aftermarket piston maker like Wiesco. If you give them the spec's from the repair manual, they may be able to make them for you.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
fznut
Site Newbie

Post by fznut »

ragedigital wrote:Welcome! Glad to have an air cooled member aboard!

darrin
hi; darrin; my fz is actually water cooled; the very first of the5 valves; you could call it the genisis; but over here they are known as pure sports; a couple of years after they started calling them genesis? go figure!!. anyway i think yamaha got it pretty well right from the beginning; evolving into the fzr; and yzf and of course the mighty R1and R6; shame they didnt continue with a 750; they should have taken a leaf out of suzukis book!!
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Without a doubt, glad to have you on board. Hope you enjoy the site.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
fz750er
Site Newbie

Post by fz750er »

by ragedigital » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:41 pm

Yeah! I reckon ...its NOT AIR COOLED pal. You ought to know the history of the machine you are into here?
FZ 750 IS the Birthplace of your fat, slow, FZR 750 about two inches narrower thanks to the steel tubular frame
and one of the most remarkable breakthroughs in modern motorcycling. FZR may be a little nicer looking actually thanks
to the Alloy frame and greater accent int the curves of tank,seat, and fairing. But in 1987 the motor as farr as i can find
(SO FAR)has only an EXUP valve and an oil cooler added. I have two and when I read your comment ..I laugh..I cry..I get mad.
...then I accept what you say is being said and stop my ..denial. Have a heart Mate. The FZ is your friend too !
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

fz750er wrote:
ragedigital wrote:Re: fz 750 missing the R
by ragedigital » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:41 pm

Yeah! I reckon ...its NOT AIR COOLED pal. You ought to know the history of the machine you are into here?
FZ 750 IS the Birthplace of your fat, slow, FZR 750 about two inches narrower thanks to the steel tubular frame
and one of the most remarkable breakthroughs in modern motorcycling. FZR may be a little nicer looking actually thanks
to the Alloy frame and greater accent int the curves of tank,seat, and fairing. But in 1987 the motor as farr as i can find
(SO FAR)has only an EXUP valve and an oil cooler added. I have two and when I read your comment ..I laugh..I cry..I get mad.
...then I accept what you say is being said and stop my ..denial. Have a heart Mate. The FZ is your friend too !
No problem with the FZ and you're right, I don't know the history of the FZ750. The FZ600 is air-cooled, from my understanding, and that is the predecessor of our FZR600.

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!