Just fix a 750 FZR

FZR750 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: Just fix a 750 FZR

Post by sweekster »

csofos wrote:My fzr 750, as you all know, it's '87 model (similar to '88). Can anyone tell me if the 1000 same years engine fits in the 750's frame? Needing any modifications to fit him in? Someone told me that it fits like a glove. But this is one mans opinion. If anyone has an fzr 1000 '87-'88 model, can he measure the distances where the engine grounds to the frame. Then i'll compare them with my 750's to check what can i do.
From what I have read it's the same frame as the 1000 but with the 750 engine. I have also read that an 89+ Exup 1000 motor will fit that frame just fine. As a matter of fact Shogun (a mod here on the forum) has an 88 FZR1000 with an 89 EXUP motor in it. That being said, the YZF750 motor should fit right in as well. Granted I have no measurements to go by but it's worth a shot.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

csofos wrote:f*ck, f*ck, f*ck!!!! The engine never started. I tried soooo many times. And finally i checked the cylindres compression. It was veeeeeeery low!!!! I opened the engine and i saw that piston rings (especially on 2nd and 4th) were off. The valve needed rubbing. All that was good, and something i could easily deal with... untill...... i saw the a crack on the 2nd cylinder. On the upper edge! Damn! Where to find a cylider and who's gonna give you one. And if all these shits have happend far now, imagine what else could be failed in this engine?????? So my opinion is to buy another engine.

Calm Down Chris you are looking at the problem NOT the opportunity.

750's must have had big bore kits surely.

The engine cylinders are lined = replace the liner

Yes as you say if this has gotten this far take out the engine and take it apart for a FULL inspection it is all to the good more experience added to your skills .

Yupp I can understand the frustration but next time do not kick the tyres when buying listen to the engine, you have the skills for all the other bits, seems the Good Lord is trying to tell you some thing ..............

"What a man makes can be broken but it takes a MAN to accept the challenge of repairing it "
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by csofos »

sweekster wrote:
From what I have read it's the same frame as the 1000 but with the 750 engine. I have also read that an 89+ Exup 1000 motor will fit that frame just fine. As a matter of fact Shogun (a mod here on the forum) has an 88 FZR1000 with an 89 EXUP motor in it. That being said, the YZF750 motor should fit right in as well. Granted I have no measurements to go by but it's worth a shot.
Thanks a lot sweekster!!! I'm already heading to this direction. Found a 750 and a 1000 engines. now it's up the prices. If the money worthin, it's ok. If not, meybe i should think to do an overall repair of my 750 engine. Thanks again buddy!!! :cheers:
THE COST OF YOUR HELMET, IT DEPENTS ON HOW MUCH EXPENSIVE YOU THINK YOUR HEAD IS.
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by csofos »

yamaha_george wrote:
Calm Down Chris you are looking at the problem NOT the opportunity.
750's must have had big bore kits surely.
The engine cylinders are lined = replace the liner
Yes as you say if this has gotten this far take out the engine and take it apart for a FULL inspection it is all to the good more experience added to your skills .
Yupp I can understand the frustration but next time do not kick the tyres when buying listen to the engine, you have the skills for all the other bits, seems the Good Lord is trying to tell you some thing ..............
"What a man makes can be broken but it takes a MAN to accept the challenge of repairing it "[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean George. The point is that cylinder it's broken. Look at the picture. If i can't find a used one, the cost will go high. So high, that i believe its to ones advantage to have another engine, even maybe in a lower price than the spare parts i'll probably use to repair the old one. That's why i'm heading mostly to this direction. Thanks for believing in my skills though my friend. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

THE COST OF YOUR HELMET, IT DEPENTS ON HOW MUCH EXPENSIVE YOU THINK YOUR HEAD IS.
chefen2006
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by chefen2006 »

Oh boy,looks like the dog`s dinner. That will be expensive to fix. +1 on a new engine.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

chefen2006 wrote:Oh boy,looks like the dog`s dinner. That will be expensive to fix. +1 on a new engine.
NAH just how good you are with a stick welder & knowing what rod to use .Good to have a pal who has a boring bar as well :-}
chefen2006
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by chefen2006 »

HEEEEELLLOOOOOOOO. Everything OK in Greece?? Say something,like "my 750 is a blast to ride" or something....
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by csofos »

Ooooohhhhhh just saw your text man! Sorry for the lare reply. Well, in Greece things are getting worse, but that's another issue to discuss for. As for the bike, the engine has a broken cylinder, and i am about my trip to Australia in almost a month. So i pick money to have and don't have enough to spend for the bike. So, every next step, will take place from March and on.

Thanks for asking and take care :cheers:
chefen2006
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by chefen2006 »

Oh..OK. Have a nice trip to Australia. Going to se your new GF I surpose. Enjoy.
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by csofos »

Even though i never finished the bike, i thought it would be a good idea to upload a video on youtube. Just to remember. Next project...... we'll see. A few things still to take care of :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upzlIlxRbt4
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Looks amazing man. You worked some serious magic on that bike.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Great video! Would be nice if a lot of people were able to document their transformations as well as you did.

Can't wait to see the next project!

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

very awesome

I was wondering WTF was up with the red you painted after you had done all teh black and gold, but it really worked out well!!