Exhaust baffle cut out, not sure what to do

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

mhall41
Site Newbie

Exhaust baffle cut out, not sure what to do

Post by mhall41 »

Okay, so my1994 fzr 600 came with a yoshimura slip on when I bought it. It's always been very loud, but I thought maybe I could quiet it a little by repacking it. So i took it apart and the previous owner took all the fiberglass out and also cut most of the baffle out (maybe an inch left). So my question is what should I do:

1. Go ahead and pack it without the baffle
2. Try and complete the baffle by welding a pipe (with holes drilled in it) onto what's left
3. Trash it and buy another

Im looking to spend as little money as possible, but I think I really need to get this fixed as I've heard it can cause extra valve wear since there's not very much back-pressure (not sure if true or not). Any input would be much appreciated!
pnbell
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Exhaust baffle cut out, not sure what to do

Post by pnbell »

Not exactly which yoshi slip-on you have, but it might be an RS-3 ... Anyway, it's possible to get replacement 'inserts' 'baffles' 'spark arrestors' for like $20 then you just have to get some cheap fiberglass from a dirt bike shop.

click here:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... 4AodOGW2hA

If you have the muffler apart already, pull out the inside and see what it looks like.

*You really can re-pack the muffler unless the baffle to complete, or it'll end up cloggin or flying out when your riding.
*As far as welding, you could certainly try this; it'd be an interesting project that won't really cost you anything...
*Buying a brand new one will cost few hundred bucks... buying used is possible.
-Pete
Current Toys
1995 FZR600
2002 Ducati 900ss
2008 Versys 650
1991 CB250
1978 CB350
Past Bikes
1981 CM400t
1981 GS650
1998 FZR600
1994 VS800
2004 SV650
pnbell
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by pnbell »

I'm actually in the process of modifying my V&H SS2 slip-on. I removed the fiberglass and it actually didn't get much louder; then i removed the whole baffle (which made the exit diameter of the exhaust larger) and this was LOUDER! Too LOUD.... temporarily awesome...

So now i am working on tuning it to my desired sound and volume... i'm going to increase the exit hole a little bit and repack the baffle; I believe the large hole will give me a little deeper/louder growl; and the fiberglass will absorb some the raspy unwanted noise.

This is really just a project for entertainment/learning how things work. The SS2 slipon is put together with allen screws, so it's really easy play with.
-Pete
Current Toys
1995 FZR600
2002 Ducati 900ss
2008 Versys 650
1991 CB250
1978 CB350
Past Bikes
1981 CM400t
1981 GS650
1998 FZR600
1994 VS800
2004 SV650
mhall41
Site Newbie

Post by mhall41 »

pnbell wrote:Not exactly which yoshi slip-on you have, but it might be an RS-3 ... Anyway, it's possible to get replacement 'inserts' 'baffles' 'spark arrestors' for like $20 then you just have to get some cheap fiberglass from a dirt bike shop.

click here:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... 4AodOGW2hA

If you have the muffler apart already, pull out the inside and see what it looks like.

*You really can re-pack the muffler unless the baffle to complete, or it'll end up cloggin or flying out when your riding.
*As far as welding, you could certainly try this; it'd be an interesting project that won't really cost you anything...
*Buying a brand new one will cost few hundred bucks... buying used is possible.
That baffle/spark arrestor is pretty neat, I didn't know they made them. I may just go that route since its <$20. Should I refrain from riding until I get it and repack? Or is what I heard about it increasing valve wear false?

-Thank you for the link and replies, also good luck on your experiment I hope you get the sound/power your looking for.
pnbell
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by pnbell »

The idea behind this 'Increased Valve Wear' is because the freer flowing exhaust could cause your bike to run leaner = Hotter Exhaust = Hotter Valves/Valve Seats = Increased Valve wear.

As this is just a Freer Flowing Muffler and Not a Whole Exhaust system (or exhaust leak in the headers) i don't think you'll have noticeable valve wear from riding like this...

Does your Exhaust 'POP pop ... POP' a lot with driving or decelerating?
-Pete
Current Toys
1995 FZR600
2002 Ducati 900ss
2008 Versys 650
1991 CB250
1978 CB350
Past Bikes
1981 CM400t
1981 GS650
1998 FZR600
1994 VS800
2004 SV650
mhall41
Site Newbie

Post by mhall41 »

pnbell wrote:The idea behind this 'Increased Valve Wear' is because the freer flowing exhaust could cause your bike to run leaner = Hotter Exhaust = Hotter Valves/Valve Seats = Increased Valve wear.

As this is just a Freer Flowing Muffler and Not a Whole Exhaust system (or exhaust leak in the headers) i don't think you'll have noticeable valve wear from riding like this...

Does your Exhaust 'POP pop ... POP' a lot with driving or decelerating?
Gotcha, and no it doesn't pop it surprisingly sounds very clean (but very loud haha). Thanks man