94 FZR600 starting issues please help!

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

BigStupidFingers
Site Newbie

94 FZR600 starting issues please help!

Post by BigStupidFingers »

This is my first time on the site and my bike has me up against a wall. Here is what I have done thus far...

Last fall my bike was having issues charging. I put a new a battery in my bike and road for a few months. Then I noticed that my headlights would dim when I hit the breaks or engaged something else that would use the battery system. A day later I could pop start the motor only then after a day or two of that, no more pop starting. I was guessing that since the battery wouldn't charge that I needed to replace my stator. So today I replaced my stator. I had my battery on trickle charge popped it in and it would turn over but would not start. Headlights would dim when I would try to start it... what is my next step? All I know... is I hate electrical issues because that is what I know the least about. Should I pop the charged battery in while using jumper cables to give it a boost?

Thanks! IKE
M in KC
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Re: 94 FZR600 starting issues please help!

Post by M in KC »

Start with a fully charged, known good battery. You will need a volt ohm meter (VOM) then follow the flow charts/wiring diagrams here http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.ph ... opic=22733
AimCOTaco
Site Newbie

Post by AimCOTaco »

Ike, definitly sounds like you're not charging. Changing the stator may or may not help.

It also sounds like your battery is not fully charged. With a fully charged battery it should crank like crazy. As stated, start with a fully charged known good battery and check voltages.
Let the battery sit for an hour an make sure it's then resting above 13 volts or so. Then install and start up. With the bike running check the voltage at the battery again. If it's in the 14-15 volt range you have a working charging system. If it's now at or below it's rest voltage you don't have a working charging system.

How did you verify the stator was the original problem? Sure it's not the very common voltage regulator failure?

Best of luck,
Andy
1999 FZR-600
Bunch of 4-wheeled junk...not enough 2-wheeled junk
BigStupidFingers
Site Newbie

I have a good battery now and I even hooked it up to a battery jumper for a little extra boost on the start up. Now it will crank like hell and I will get a couple of pops from the spark plugs. It seems like it wants to turn over now but I can't seem to get enough sparks in a row. Should I pull the spark plugs and check them out next?
THNX IKE
AimCOTaco
Site Newbie

Post by AimCOTaco »

I know if i let mine crank with a weak battery it won't start and tends to foul the plugs. It sure couldn't hurt to pull the plugs and have a look, dry and clean them if fouled and give it another go.
Andy
1999 FZR-600
Bunch of 4-wheeled junk...not enough 2-wheeled junk
BigStupidFingers
Site Newbie

I think I will try that, Also called a mechanic who does mobile visits (sounds like a sweet gig) but he said it might be the carburetor since it ran in the fall and then it sat all winter. The bike did start on easter day when I jumped it with my car. But shut off as soon as I pulled the cables off the terminals. oh and the carb cleaning (4-5 hour job) I'm assuming with gasoline and a toothbrush runs about 250$ Which seems like a good deal.
M in KC
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by M in KC »

Ike, maybe you should be starting with the "Starting/Ignition" system first. I would verify the specific gravity in all cells of your battery is within an allowable tolerence. Then, if you haven't read through the WIkI's electrical info that might be a good place to start. If your battery is good, I would verify taht you have spark in all four holes next. And then go from there.

You have to be able to get the motor running, sustainably to verify the charging system is functioning as it should.

If I were me I would work on one thing at a time, starting/ignition, fuel delivery, fuel management, charging etc. Otherwise you will just be chasing your tail.
BigStupidFingers
Site Newbie

Update! I pulled two of the four spark plugs... when I pulled them they were BLACK and WET with fuel, I could smell it. Both plugs have spark and the cylinders have compression but would not fire. That means that the gas was bad, so I drained the gas and filled it with new... however it still will not turn over, seems to me that the only thing left it could be would be clogged, dirty carburetors right?
Last edited by BigStupidFingers on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M in KC
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by M in KC »

pull the other two plugs and verify spark. And no octane boost will not cure stale fuel.
BigStupidFingers
Site Newbie

Spark on all four, compression too, just no fire. Drained bad gas and put a gallon of high test in it. Still no start just a few pops and one backfire.