1987 FZR 600 .. trying to rebuild

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

datguy
Site Newbie

1987 FZR 600 .. trying to rebuild

Post by datguy »

A friend of mine got a FZR 600 a long time ago, and tried t get it to work, but could not. Yrs. went by and he's lost interest in the bike so has asked me if I wanted it. I said I would only take it if the engine worked (turned on and such) and w/e the other problem was, to be fixed/fixable (will get to that in a minute).

The run down on the bike is that another friend of ours older brother owned this bike, he was involved in a chase, crashed it and as it stands is now in the possession of my friend (that has asked me if I would like to finish the build). According to what I have been told, the bike is fine and cranks. Needs a battery, some cleaning, flush and new fluids, as well as new tires and should be able to start/roll. My friend that took over this bike, tried to get it fixed, from what I was told, there frame is bent? the rear wheel will not align not matter what they tried (everything looks fine to me, but I'm somewhat new to all this). I have been reading a little here and there and have watched some chopper shows to know what simple parts are on the bike (engine wise ... I am LOST).

Here are pictures of the bike as it is right now (still at my friends house, not able to relocate at the moment).

link to the gallery pictures.
http://a5kone.minus.com/mfUZ4SYyr/1g
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: 1987 FZR 600 .. trying to rebuild

Post by thatkid »

What you have there is an FZ 600. The fzr didn't come around until 89. This should help in reading up more on the actual bike you have or purchasing a manual for it.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
datguy
Site Newbie

Post by datguy »

NICE, makes sense too. was looking all over for R parts, nothing would be for the 87. thanks man. :mrgreen:
DJStaticX
Site Newbie

Post by DJStaticX »

Looks like that bike needs a ton of TLC. Just remember project bikes can get expensive and most likely you won't get the money back out of it that you put into it. Unless you get insanely lucky and find someone who has a lot of parts for cheap. Fairings and plastics can get expensive alone. If you are willing to do most all the work then that will save you money. My last project fzr I won't even say how much I put into it money wise other than I could have had a much , much new bike for the price. To me it's about preserving a classic bike more than money and some may say that makes me a sucker. It was my first bike in 1990 and it's still my current bike though I have a 1994 now. Good Luck if you decide to proceed with the project. :cheers:
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

If it were an FZR instead of an FZ I would say "maybe". But, since it is an FZ, and you're not expert in repair, I would say "walk away". I say that because there are a lot more FZRs on the road and they were virtually unchanged for 9 years.

Parting that out would be the only option. It has obviously sat outside for quite sometime and the engine would have suffered irreparable internal damage.

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
pnbell
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by pnbell »

yup. not worth the time, effort or money to fix... Just by a older bike in good shape, it will still be a project...
-Pete
Current Toys
1995 FZR600
2002 Ducati 900ss
2008 Versys 650
1991 CB250
1978 CB350
Past Bikes
1981 CM400t
1981 GS650
1998 FZR600
1994 VS800