Just died when i was riding (please read)

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

sfrjosh
Site Newbie

Just died when i was riding (please read)

Post by sfrjosh »

hey guy thanks

so i was driving to work the other day and when i was going i saw my temp gauge was Lil higher then normal and was getting high when i was driving but when i was sitting still it was mid-range Lil higher, but seemed ok. start driving to work again and the bike just died....

i have a brand new battery and i fixed all my other issues it charges fine and holds it own with the stator and vr.
i don't recall hearing my fan on the radiator running when it might have ben hot.

i cant think of anything that would cause this

i get soild 'N' light and i get full headlight tail lights everything to be working,
when i hit the start button u here the starter going trying to start the engine but that it..

it sound like it does when i have no gas ( just filled it)

the only think i really played with was the idle screw and i set it to about 1.5 - 2 rpm when it was running but idk

can anyone shed some light on this problem. if anyone willing to help give me idears or things to check i would love to do so
i can pst pic and everything.

thank guys
1989 fzr 600
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Re: Just died when i was riding (please read)

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Few things to start with...

Do you have a spark on all four plugs, and are they clean?

Are you getting fuel in the cylinder, after cranking it for a while, remove the plug and see if its damp/wet, you dont want it sopping wet but not dry either.

Check the two basics and then get to the difficult bits....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
sfrjosh
Site Newbie

Post by sfrjosh »

hey guy,
So Im getting compression in all 4 cylinders, i bought 4 new plugs and they still don't spark.

The old plugs where dry.

I tested the kill switch and it works fine and i tested if i was getting power from the digital ignitor (the orange wire) and that fine. but i still dont get spark from the plugs :headscratch: im confused.

any more advice?

please note: that the bike just stopped, no chop or chug chug, just died

what else should i check or anything else that could cause the bike not to spark

thanks josh
1989 fzr 600
drummerman
Site Newbie

Post by drummerman »

If you got new plugs and still no spark either move to the wires or the coils.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

sfrjosh wrote:hey guy,
So Im getting compression in all 4 cylinders, i bought 4 new plugs and they still don't spark.

The old plugs where dry.

I tested the kill switch and it works fine and i tested if i was getting power from the digital ignitor (the orange wire) and that fine. but i still dont get spark from the plugs :headscratch: im confused.
Hi, Josh.

Common misconception, but you don't GET power from the TCI via the orange wire. The coils are powered from the switch (Red / White wires), but are GROUNDED through the Orange (cyls 1&4) and Grey (cyls 2&3). This grounding allows current to flow through the coils, building the coil field; when the ignitor box turns the flow OFF, the field collapses in a gi-normous voltage spike through the secondary windings that drives the spark plugs. If the coil driver transistors are dead, you WILL measure battery voltage at the orange wire.
sfrjosh
Site Newbie

Post by sfrjosh »

hey ok ty guys. for the info im still not sure whats wroung or where i need to go to next.

when i was checking the kill switch and the orange wire for power i also checked the red and white ones coming off the right hand control there was 2 red and white wire both them showed a 12.6 volts or something but only one if the red/white wire died when i hit the switch but i think that how its so post to be.

also how can i check my spark plug wires make sure there good. and how can i check my coils to make sure there alset also.

and last night when i was messing with the spark plugs one of the wires i belive the #3 cord came apart from the wire coming from the coil to the boot that goes over the plug. it looked like it was just presser fitted so i just pressed it back on..

is this a simple fix or an i almost drowning in the water? should i take it to a dealer and get my charged a arm and a leg? banghead

thanks for all you help and i love the info ( i would love to be able to fix it my self, but i dont have the strongest skills in engines but i want to learn lol Noob

thanks josh
1989 fzr 600