Master cylinder upgrade

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Internetaardvark
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Master cylinder upgrade

Post by Internetaardvark »

Hey i'm waiting on seals to finish rebuilding my brakes and figured in the mean time now would be a good time to upgrade to a newer style master cylinder. I beleive but am not sure that the older/first gen yzf 600r has the same exact calipers as the fzr's so i figured that would be the closest i'd get to being a direct match for the bike in terms of linearity and lever feel etc. has anyone else changed master cylinders with out changing upgrading calipers? Also are the yzf 600 masters the same thru all the years, or did they change them on the 2000 up? Any other suggestions on a better match would be welcomed. Thanks.
Rich
Site Newbie

Re: Master cylinder upgrade

Post by Rich »

Yamaha doesn't build their own brake systems so you don't have to stick to Yamaha bikes. The YZF masters are all Nissin which is used on just about every sportbike (Honda, Suzuki, Kawi, Yamaha, etc.). I am using a 1992 ZX-7 master on my YZF (Nissin) and it worked great on the original FZR setup, and on the R6 calipers as well. There are two different common size master and it is best to match them to the brakes, but either size is much better than the stock setup.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Internetaardvark wrote:Hey i'm waiting on seals to finish rebuilding my brakes and figured in the mean time now would be a good time to upgrade to a newer style master cylinder. I beleive but am not sure that the older/first gen yzf 600r has the same exact calipers as the fzr's so i figured that would be the closest i'd get to being a direct match for the bike in terms of linearity and lever feel etc. has anyone else changed master cylinders with out changing upgrading calipers? Also are the yzf 600 masters the same thru all the years, or did they change them on the 2000 up? Any other suggestions on a better match would be welcomed. Thanks.
Hi,
Take a look at:-

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/fzr/project-1.html

3rd item down if memory serves RRBike
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Upgraded my front brakes to a set-up from an 03 YZF600 - direct bolt on. Even better with stainless brake lines.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
Modified96
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Modified96 »

I'm using a 99-02 R6 full setup with steel lines. It's a direct bolt on, other than the tiny bracket you have to make for the reservoir.

I gotta say that they feel great. The thing that makes the most difference is the MC. It'll make a world of difference on the stock calipers too.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Fear and Loathing
kerbyjonsonjr
Site Newbie

Post by kerbyjonsonjr »

This is an ancient post but I started the process of converting my calipers, brake lines, and master cylinder. I was just wondering if you had photos of the bracket you made for mounting the reservoir? That is last thing I need to take care of. Thanks!
M in KC
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by M in KC »

Ha, just did the same thing. There is no where near the traffic on site as there used to be, but thankfully we have good people that are maintaining it.

The remote reservoir can be a challenge to mount. I ended using the handle bar bolt that secures it the clip-on. I replace the factory 8mm socket head bolt with an 8mm stainless steel button head bolt, I want to say 30mm in length. In between the new button head bolt and the clip-on, I used a 1/16" x 3/4' aluminum flat bar and bent it for my setup which ended being the same Nissin M/C as Rich's. Mine was just donated from an '02 YZF R1. I'm running the r6 Blue Dots with EBC double sintered pads. I used Larry's how-to as my inspiration here for the master cylinder portion. http://heath.agdog.com/fzr/specifications/ If this link doesn't work just type Larry's FZR then scroll down to the link.

You may find yourself needing a low-profile remote reservoir cup like I did. Our old fizz's use a lot of faring supports that more modern bikes don't need. All these necessary hardware makes mounting the cup a little more challenging. So if you need it, here is what I used for that: Qiilu Universal Brake Reservoir Front Fluid Bottle Motorcycle Master Clutch Oil Cup Cylinder Bracket via Amazon.