Tail light, 1st and 2nd gear issues, and a hello

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Yial
Site Newbie

Tail light, 1st and 2nd gear issues, and a hello

Post by Yial »

I recently picked up this 1994 FZR600R a few weeks ago because it was just too good of a deal to pass up,

What I don't think you can see is some surface rust on the frame (someone started to sand it?) and the fact that the tank is in reality green and blue, depending on which section you are looking at. Additionally, there are no rear fairings, tail light, or rear seat.

---
First

I am afraid I am guilty of just quickly spraying the frame after sanding off rust.

Now, the problem I have had was that the fairings didn't want to fit on, and neither did the rear seat, so after some fab work and such I got them on.

Additionally, as you can see, I have some fugly mirrors on there that I picked up at the scrapyard right before inspection.

My main concern at the moment is the tailight.

I seem to be missing a piece (?) I just quickly took a piece of sheet metal and bolted it on, but, I would much rather find a piece that "sort of" fits? If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Ideally, I would like to find something that I can put in there to make it look nicer, and then put an R6 light on top of it. I want t avoid doing too much of my own fab work, as I lack the artistic skill necessary. lol

Also, the issue I am having with the gears is that in 1st or 2nd if I blip the throttle open more then 3/4 and hit 7.5-10k RPMS in first or 6-10K rpms in 2nd, there is a horrible grinding / vibration where the bike almost doesn't want to go. I can get a video of this, if need be, but, I have tried to avoid replicating it except when I was making sure it was not an isolated incident. The bike is ride able at the moment, and I don't want to mess that up.

Any tips / suggestions on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.
trump19
Site Newbie

Re: Tail light, 1st and 2nd gear issues, and a hello

Post by trump19 »

heres the rear light fairing

i also have a tail light if interested stock of course

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FZR600-8 ... ccessories

heres the stay brakit if needed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-Yamah ... ccessories
rocket till the wheels fall off
Yial
Site Newbie

Post by Yial »

Thanks that part,

FZR600 89-99 CENTER TAIL FAIRING REAR COWL COVER

Was the one I had no idea of the name of but needed the piece. After looking and thinking about it though, I may just do the R6 tail conversion as I already have the R6 Plastics.

Now, I just have to figure out the gear grinding issue in 1st, 2nd, and now it seems 3rd as well.

I think I may have to replace the gears.... anything I should try before I attempt this?
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

I cant help you with the gear issue much but I wanted to welcome you to the site. Are you sure the grinding noise is in the tranny and not the chain and such. Just checking.

Chris.
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
Yial
Site Newbie

Post by Yial »

Chris, Thank you.

Actually, I had checked it... and then *forgotten*

The rear sprocket is badly worn, and I would prefer a new chain. Since the front sprocket wears (3 times?) faster then the rear, I am guessing it is shot as well. I am going to be ordering a new set of sprockets and a chain today. I think I am going to stick with the stock gearing and a 530 chain. Does anyone have an recommendations on manufactures?
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

DID has, in my opinion, the best chain. I bought a 520 conversion from sumofallparts.com, and was very satisfied. But for some reason they aren't responding to people online or through ebay so I don't know if I would do that. But in my experience change all 3 at the same time. Let them wear at the same time.

Chris.
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)