Jetting issues/Fuel pump?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Tanner
Site Newbie

Jetting issues/Fuel pump?

Post by Tanner »

The bike is a 89 fzr600 with header(?) yoshi pipe, K&n drop in filter.

The bike would run great till about 6K rpm, right when the vacuum slides open, and the bike would just fall on its face. Felt like it lost power. Defiantly felt lean. I replaced the battery with a fresh one because i had one, and the bike hauled ass intermittently after that, only to worsen after a while. Sometimes it would wind out and sometimes it wouldnt. this leads me to believe it may be my fuel pump (electrical issue).

i bought a dynojet kit because i planned on it anyway. Installed the stage one settings. Runs like its rich, and still doesnt make any top end power. It doesnt fall on its face but feels really soggy. Im convinced its either the fuel pump or fuel filter. IDEAS?

btw jetting is as follows:

5th clip needle position.
118 mains
drilled slide holes
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: Jetting issues/Fuel pump?

Post by sweekster »

Since installing the jet kit have you synchronized the carbs? That will make a big difference in how they perform.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

The fuel pump WONT run continuously....just enough to keep the bowls full.

I think I would rule that out..

The statement that it would sometimes run right after the battery swap makes me think you have a voltage problem. The TCI ignition is VERY voltage sensitive.

Have you checked your charging voltage? Running system voltage? I'd start there
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

reelrazor wrote:The fuel pump WONT run continuously....just enough to keep the bowls full.

The statement that it would sometimes run right after the battery swap makes me think you have a voltage problem. The TCI ignition is VERY voltage sensitive.

Mine sorta' seemed to do the same thing, but after I wound up having to install a new battery and VR to solve a somewhat related charging issue, I kept one of those $20 battery tenders on it to keep the battery charge topped off. Best $20 I spent on the bike. Oh, and all this with shot emulsion tubes, making it run super rich.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

reelrazor wrote:The fuel pump WONT run continuously....just enough to keep the bowls full.

+1, I went through two batteries and had starting and running problems. I checked the VR and sure enough it wasn't charging enough and once replaced it starts and runs like a champ. There's multiple threads about it