Handeling / Tracking

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

pimpin
Site Newbie

Handeling / Tracking

Post by pimpin »

Have a handling / tracking issue. Managed to get my 400/600 project back on the road (thanx for the help with that BTW). It tracks in a fairly straight line but seems to have a fair bit of pressure coming back on the left grip. The bike has been sitting for a number of years and I'm wondering if this could be a fork oil issue. It has a stock front rim and as near as I can tell there's no way the canting can be off there. The forks look to be straight as well. Any tests / smart ideas that I can use to figure this out? Much appreciate the help.

Pimpin
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: Handeling / Tracking

Post by yamaha_george »

pimpin wrote:Have a handling / tracking issue. Managed to get my 400/600 project back on the road (thanx for the help with that BTW). It tracks in a fairly straight line but seems to have a fair bit of pressure coming back on the left grip. The bike has been sitting for a number of years and I'm wondering if this could be a fork oil issue. It has a stock front rim and as near as I can tell there's no way the canting can be off there. The forks look to be straight as well. Any tests / smart ideas that I can use to figure this out? Much appreciate the help.

Pimpin
P,
when you say it has pressure left grip what happens if you let go for a second on both bars? does it run to the left?

It may be that you just need to "relax" all the holding pinch bolts on the forks set the bars at 90 degrees to the frame ie sit on it and hold it straight from your point of veiw, then tell a buddy to look at the front wheel, I would put money on the fact it is off a bit right to left as he is seeing it..

At that point you get him to hold the wheel between his knees straight and you haul on the bars. On dirt bikes we used to tap the wheel against a post or a tree to set the steering straight.

Do not forget to re-tighten the pinch bolts once it is set or the first pot hole could get real interesting

HTH
Y_G
pimpin
Site Newbie

Post by pimpin »

Pothole.... that's awesome. lol.... call me super fly at that point. I'll give this a shot. Thanx for the tip.

Pimpin
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

pimpin wrote:Pothole.... that's awesome. lol.... call me super fly at that point. I'll give this a shot. Thanx for the tip.

Pimpin
P,
yeh pothole and do NOT ask how I know LoL