1990 FZR 400/600

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

pimpin
Site Newbie

1990 FZR 400/600

Post by pimpin »

Have not cranked this one up in a while. Last time I used it, I rode home and shut it down. Next day went to fire it up and it was a no go. Engine cranks over but no pop what so ever. I have checked the carbs and they are in fine condition and there is spark comming from the plugs (at least from number four). The fuel pump is now toast but it was fine back when the issue first surfaced. Being that it's a 400 delta with a 600 motor it has a bit of a different configuration obviously but fire is fire and by rights this should fire up. It worked fine for years, no issues and one day that was it. Any one have any suggestions that are not related to carb or spark? If the CDI was toast would it still turn over? The lights come on as well but it does seem to blow tail lights fairly frequently. All fuses are fine as well. Thanx for the help.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: 1990 FZR 400/600

Post by shredex »

pimpin wrote: I have checked the carbs and they are in fine condition and there is spark comming from the plugs (at least from number four).
not sure what you mean by "at least from number four"
but
you need to check ALL plugs for spark...
Target30
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by Target30 »

number 4 probably means the number four plug, possibly in the firing order, or one of the sides. in any case, depending on what is wrong with he cdi, and i am not saying that is the problem, but it can still crank even if the cdi is the problem, i know this from experience. unfortunately, the only way to find out if the cdi is bad is to either rule everything else out, or get one that is known to work, and test it out. make sure you check all the fuses, make sure the carbs are getting fuel, and that all the plugs are firing, if you get firing at the plugs, and the carbs are getting feul, you should be good to go. this will mean getting a running fuel pump first.
I did that.

"(12:38:42) sweekster: i work when i want because i'm sweeks"
pimpin
Site Newbie

Post by pimpin »

Sorry, by #4 I meant cyl #4 (outside right). I'll have to break down and pull th rest I guess. As far as the CDI box goes, I'm currently using the 400 box and have been problem free for years. I do have the 600 box but it doesn't match up to the wirring harness and I never was able to figure out the wirring schems to figure diff out. as near as I could tell there was one wire diff. If I could get that figured out I could try the 600 box and see if that worked. I bought some "cold start" today and I think I'll give that a try too and see if it helps. The fuel pump is a bit of a bitch but if the carb is gassed up it should atleast fire up on the draw should it not?
dru86
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by dru86 »

Check the 3 basics:
Do a compression test
Check for fuel by taking the airbox off and cranking the motor while your hand is over each carbie. Also that a fair amount of fuel comes out when you open up the drain screws.
Check for spark on all 4 plugs
fzr660/400: fzr400 3en1 frame, 3en2 swinger, custom single seat subframe, fzr660 motor conversion, APE adjustable cam gears, full D&D 4-2-1 exhaust, falicon clutch basket, ignitech ignition, R6 front end with tz250 wheel, ohlins shock, storz steering damper, tzr250 rear wheel.

weighs 166kg wet (25kg lighter than my stock fzr600).
pimpin
Site Newbie

Post by pimpin »

K. Cleaned carbs, checked all 4 plugs (all sparking away) and replaced fuel pump. Problem; fuel pump wont fire up. checked out old fuel pump and turns out it works fine as does the new one (yes I checked it out befor but there must have been a loose connection or some thing). The harness to the fuel pump has power to it when the bike is turned on but I'm guessing this isn't enough power to crank it up. I looked at the wiring diagram and it would appear that the wire to the pump comes from the main relay. If this was shot would the engine turn over? (which it does, just wont start). Would it show power to the connection as it's doing? Thanx.

Pimpin
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Do a compression test. It is easier to remove the carbs, pull the plugs out, and disconnect the coils.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
pimpin
Site Newbie

Post by pimpin »

Compression wont answer the fuel pump issue though? I'm pretty sure this has to be an electrical issue
dru86
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by dru86 »

The fuel pump should get 12V for 5 secs when the ignition is turned on or the kill switch is flicked, after that it's turned off till the motor is running.
fzr660/400: fzr400 3en1 frame, 3en2 swinger, custom single seat subframe, fzr660 motor conversion, APE adjustable cam gears, full D&D 4-2-1 exhaust, falicon clutch basket, ignitech ignition, R6 front end with tz250 wheel, ohlins shock, storz steering damper, tzr250 rear wheel.

weighs 166kg wet (25kg lighter than my stock fzr600).
pimpin
Site Newbie

Post by pimpin »

headlights come on front signal lights work bike turns over and there is spark in all four cyls. Carbs are clean and getting fuel when the pump is wired direct to the battery. pump will not work at any time when it is hooked in through the harness but there is some power coming through the harness. The rear signal and tail lights do not come on but the brake light works. All the fuses appear to be fine and the battery is brand new. When I spray carb start in the top of carb/cyl #1 I occasionally get a pop but that is as close to starting as it gets. Totaly at a loss on this. I have no idea what indicates a CDI prob or what could be a main relay issue etc.
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

I suggest you take a close look at the wiring harness. It seems 50% of previous FZR owners like to fook up the wiring as much as possible. Get a copy or print out the wiring diagram and trace all the wires from the components giving you trouble.

Just wondering, Have you tried starting the bike with the fuel pump wired directly to the battery?
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
pimpin
Site Newbie

Post by pimpin »

I have owned the bike for 12 years and I have not changed the wiring on it. The bike just wouldn't start one day a number of years back and it's been in storage since. As far as the pump goes, ya I did hook it up straight to the battery which is how I know the pump works. Thanx for the input. I will have to trace the wires back from the lights as that may be a totally separate issue.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

If you say the carbs are clean, it has a new battery, and you haven't done anything with the wiring then you need to look at some things. Yes the fuel pump could be the problem. It should work if you directly wire it to a battery. But if you plug it into the wire harness and it is not working then look at the wire path for that. Go through the trouble shouting section of the repair manual. The main relay could be a problem here. If you are getting a backfire every so often when you spray starter fluid then the CDI and stator are working as this would indicate ignition. But just spraying starter fluid into one cylinder could get you this which is why I suggested doing a compression test as this could still be a problem. If cylinder #1 has decent compression but #2-4 don't, then it may not turn over.

Just to make sure, have you disconnected any other part of the wiring? Someone recently had plugged the fuel pump into the rear brake wire connector which caused the fuel plump to cut out. Just want to rule out wiring mistakes.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
pimpin
Site Newbie

Post by pimpin »

I'm going to check the wiring for the fuel pump and rear lights. It makes some sense that this could be one issue (I hope it's not as that would be kinda dumb). It makes sense that there would be power coming to the harness when the bike was turned on as the tail light would be on, but not likely enough to run the pump.... I'll have a look at the guide you mentioned as well as I think the relay may be an issue and would like to know to check that out for sure. Thanx for the help!
:deadhorse:
pimpin
Site Newbie

Post by pimpin »

managed to get fuel pump working again, rear tail and brake light work and rear signal lights kinda working. The engine will pop and start to an extent. It starts when I dump a wack load of quick start down the carb but as soon as I take my finger off the start button it craps out though. When I put my hand over the carb(s) there's lots of suction and a lot of gas. Does not seem to make much difference with or with out the choke. Should I replace the plugs and see if that makes a difference? As I say they are sparking as is right now and I tested the coils so I know they are putting out juice consistently as well.