spark plug went out AGAIN

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

spark plug went out AGAIN

Post by shredex »

my first plug gave in again yesterday...i have cr9e's in all of them and the others are running fine...
im going to try a cr8e in the first one and see if it lasts longer
mike94fzr600
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Re: spark plug went out AGAIN

Post by mike94fzr600 »

what does the tip look like? are you sure its not your wires
my rides
2000 chevy z71 4x4
1993 Suzuki Samurai my mud \ trail toy
1994 fzr 600
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

mike94fzr600 wrote:what does the tip look like? are you sure its not your wires
tip looks BLACK...just like the other 2 which I switched out of that head in the past month and a half... :swear
Dragon
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by Dragon »

Adjust your A/F mixture screw on that cylinder, Shredex.
As you already know, you're running rich in that cylinder.
Tune the cylinder, until you have it burning right.
Same goes for the rest of them, if they are a tad rich.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

Dragon wrote:Adjust your A/F mixture screw on that cylinder, Shredex.
every mixture screw is set to 1 1/2 turns out...the first one is the only one that is burning up the plug
I dont know how the hell I can be running rich when Im only on 1 1/2 turns out !!!
after I burned out my other plug, I set them to 2 turns out, then my exhaust was still gathering a bunch of black on the inside so thats when I turned it in 1/2 turn....

that is the same head that my gasket was leaking oil from...I dont know if that has to do anything with it...
Dragon
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by Dragon »

shredex wrote:
Dragon wrote:Adjust your A/F mixture screw on that cylinder, Shredex.
every mixture screw is set to 1 1/2 turns out...the first one is the only one that is burning up the plug
I dont know how the hell I can be running rich when Im only on 1 1/2 turns out !!!
after I burned out my other plug, I set them to 2 turns out, then my exhaust was still gathering a bunch of black on the inside so thats when I turned it in 1/2 turn....

that is the same head that my gasket was leaking oil from...I dont know if that has to do anything with it...
Could be your float heights for your carbs that are not set properly. 1 1/2 turns and still rich, hmmm. :headscratch:
Oh, I forgot. Check your emulsion tubes for wear. Is the engine still leaking oil?
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

Its still leaking a bit from the gasket because I didnt tightn it up enough. I need to remove my radiator to tighten it and I dont have extra coolant to replace.
I ripped out my carbs a couple weeks ago and checked everything, thats how I found out that I had my main and pilot jets switched in that very same head...the first head...but nothing was wapred on the emulsion tubes, and thats when I also discovered that my carbs were rebuilt not to long ago...carbs were spotless and found that I have a factory pro jet kit in there...

oh yea, and the title I have IS for my bike...while I was looking at my other spark plug I noticed an imprint of numbers on the part of the frame that the forks slide threw...I could barley read the numbers and letter but I matched it all with my title :D
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

so yea, my plug last went out november 19th...that was just two weeks ago...
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

You know, with the oil leak in that area , that plug wire is prolly pretty shitty by now.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

reelrazor wrote:You know, with the oil leak in that area , that plug wire is prolly pretty shitty by now.
the plug wire that comes from the coils?
the wire is pefectly fine. my 3rd wire is cut open by my fan blade and has electrical tap wrapping it where it torn off the rubber..

is there a way to clean the black off my spark plugs?
because I know I was running rich before but I cant check the other spark plugs to see if there leaner because they still are pretty black from when it was running rich...I havent had to change the others at all..
its just that damn first one..
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

shredex wrote:
reelrazor wrote:You know, with the oil leak in that area , that plug wire is prolly pretty shitty by now.
the plug wire that comes from the coils?
the wire is pefectly fine. my 3rd wire is cut open by my fan blade and has electrical tap wrapping it where it torn off the rubber..
It's not swelled up or soft feeling? It's engaged nice and tightly into the spark plug cap? Would you feel confident grabbing onto it while the engine is running?

is there a way to clean the black off my spark plugs?
because I know I was running rich before but I cant check the other spark plugs to see if there leaner because they still are pretty black from when it was running rich...I havent had to change the others at all..
its just that damn first one..
yes, you can clean them. Carb cleaner and a wire brush, or a bead blaster. Mind you, get ALL the abrasive out of the plug before reinstall. AND, cleaned plugs are never as good as new.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

It's not swelled up or soft feeling? It's engaged nice and tightly into the spark plug cap? Would you feel confident grabbing onto it while the engine is running?
I do feel comfident...Iv done it before...it grabs very nicely.. I need to grab a pair of pliers to get the damn thing disconnected from the plug..lol

yes, you can clean them. Carb cleaner and a wire brush, or a bead blaster. Mind you, get ALL the abrasive out of the plug before reinstall. AND, cleaned plugs are never as good as new.
I know its not as good as new...I just want to see if it turns black shortly so I will know if its still running rich or not...
Dragon
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by Dragon »

shredex wrote:Its still leaking a bit from the gasket because I didnt tightn it up enough. I need to remove my radiator to tighten it and I dont have extra coolant to replace.

Don't need any coolant, just unbolt it and let it hang.

I ripped out my carbs a couple weeks ago and checked everything, thats how I found out that I had my main and pilot jets switched in that very same head...the first head...but nothing was warped on the emulsion tubes, and thats when I also discovered that my carbs were rebuilt not to long ago...carbs were spotless and found that I have a factory pro jet kit in there...

What did you use to check the emulsion tubes? A magnifying glass? You don't see the defect with a naked eye.
Now you get to check your float heights! Did you do this already? Don't think so, our you would have mention what they were set at......
Check Factory Pro's site on how to set your float heights.
oh yea, and the title I have IS for my bike...while I was looking at my other spark plug I noticed an imprint of numbers on the part of the frame that the forks slide threw...I could barley read the numbers and letter but I matched it all with my title :D

Good to hear you found the Vin #'s. :shocker
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

Dragon wrote:
What did you use to check the emulsion tubes? A magnifying glass? You don't see the defect with a naked eye.
Now you get to check your float heights! Did you do this already? Don't think so, our you would have mention what they were set at......
Check Factory Pro's site on how to set your float heights.
I just looked at the emulsion tubes...I would have studied them if I new how to remove them...
I havent checked my float heights....I didnt think they were that big a deal...and I dont own a mini measuring tape...lol

Ill check everything this weekend...again...

I also need to clean out my tank...its full of rust...not good...
any easy very cheap solutions to cleaning the inside???
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

When you had the carbs apart where was the clip on the needles? That could be why you are running rich. The clip might be too low. How do you know for sure that your emulsion tubes are good if you didn't know how to take them out? How did you figure it was a factory pro kit that you have? Your sig says it's a 1.1 Ti Pro kit. You've verified this to be correct? You could have a stage 3 kit (which will also cause it to be rich)-most people run pods with those but you can run an airbox with that setup as well.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!