Fuel pump issue: help

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

acsess605
Site Newbie

Fuel pump issue: help

Post by acsess605 »

Hey everyone, so I have a 1991 FZR600, US version. I've been chasing problems left and right all summer and I FINALLY have it down to just 1, but I'm stumped.
My fuel pump keeps failing.
Turn the bike on, the fuel pump relay clicks (continuously), but the fuel pump won't prime the carbs. Here's where I get confused though....
If I hardwire the fuel pump to the battery for just a split second to hear it run, then I can plug it back into the bike and the bike starts up. I got 10 or so good starts from it, then it died again. Hardwired to the battery a second time, plugged it back in, and the bike once again started without issue.
1. What in the world does wiring it to the battery for a second change that makes it suddenly work?
2. Anyone know how to permanently fix this?
Asudef
Site Newbie

Re: Fuel pump issue: help

Post by Asudef »

I don't know what I'm talking about but maybe theres a bad connection somewhere on the way to the fuel pump. Did you go through the troubleshooting steps in the FSM?

Also have to ask, you're sure the petcock is open too?
buzzawak
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by buzzawak »

I have a 89 model and I am guessing the 91 isn't that much difference.
When you first turn on the bike you should hear the pump prime for about 5 seconds then switch off.
This will happen until the carbies are full or the time period is up.
What you want to do is disconnect the hose from the carbies and put it into some container so you can see the fuel being pumped in.
You may need to use a bit of extension hose for this. Then turn on the bike with out starting and see if you get a good amount of fuel pumping and that it stops after about 5 seconds.
If you can record a bit of a video of this happening on your phone and upload it I should be able to help further.
acsess605
Site Newbie

Post by acsess605 »

Yes the pump is running correctly now. Primes it and everything as it should. But it randomly stops working, and if I hardwire it for a second and then plug it back it, it works as it should again. Just wondering if anyone has a more permanent fix?
The Limey
Site Newbie

Post by The Limey »

You can dissmamtle the pump with care, inside is set of points that can get manky and act up.
buzzawak
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by buzzawak »

acsess605 wrote:Yes the pump is running correctly now. Primes it and everything as it should. But it randomly stops working, and if I hardwire it for a second and then plug it back it, it works as it should again. Just wondering if anyone has a more permanent fix?
I am sure someone here can help you.
Last edited by buzzawak on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Wire a low wattage test lamp in parallel with the pump above the pump connector block.
This will indicate if the relay is operating correctly or if the pump is failing intermittingly.
By connecting above the connector block it eliminates block connector failure.
Intermitted electrical component failures are 90% poor connection issues, both supply and earth.
The relay will now be over 25 years old and cannot be ruled out although solid state units normally work or don't...there is rarely an inbetween.
The internal pump contacts are not difficult to service/replace.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.