No spark to cylinders 2 or 3. Service Manual?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Jake_majors03
Site Newbie

No spark to cylinders 2 or 3. Service Manual?

Post by Jake_majors03 »

Hey guys so I ride a 1992 fzr 600 and recently my voltage regulator went out. I got a new battery headlight and voltage regulator. But my bike is only firing on cylinders 1 & 4 which are paired to the same coil. I get 5-9 volts or power to this coil when I press the ignition switch. I am getting 12V positive all the time to coil pack for cylinders 2 &3. I think either my relay or digital ignitor have gone bad. Has anyone experienced this before? Also if anyone has an actual service manual for this bike it would be muchly appreciated if you could upload a link as to where I could find it. Thanks!!
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Re: No spark to cylinders 2 or 3. Service Manual?

Post by csofos »

Jake_majors03 wrote:Hey guys so I ride a 1992 fzr 600 and recently my voltage regulator went out. I got a new battery headlight and voltage regulator. But my bike is only firing on cylinders 1 & 4 which are paired to the same coil. I get 5-9 volts or power to this coil when I press the ignition switch. I am getting 12V positive all the time to coil pack for cylinders 2 &3. I think either my relay or digital ignitor have gone bad. Has anyone experienced this before? Also if anyone has an actual service manual for this bike it would be muchly appreciated if you could upload a link as to where I could find it. Thanks!!
I think I've had it with a bike before and it was the coil. Check the link below. It's not the '92 model in there, it's the '90 I think, but they are all the same. Go down on the list and click on the "Yamaha FZR 600L FZR 600LC" button.
http://www.carlsalter.com/yamaha-service-manuals.asp
THE COST OF YOUR HELMET, IT DEPENTS ON HOW MUCH EXPENSIVE YOU THINK YOUR HEAD IS.
Pr1ngle
Site Newbie

Post by Pr1ngle »

no spark on 2 and 3 would hint at the coil being dead.
One coil provides spark to 1 and 4, the other coil provides spark to 2 and 4.

try swapping the coils over, this should highlight any issue with the suspect coil.

The service manual's i've seen dont cover this too much, have a look in the archives.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

The voltmeter reading is a big hint. The 1-4 cyls are showing an average of 5-7v, which is 12v ground-switched by the ignition. The 2-3 coil is sitting at 12v because the coil driver inside the TCI isn't working.