Bike shuts off with clutch engaging

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

drodriguez398
Site Newbie

Bike shuts off with clutch engaging

Post by drodriguez398 »

Hello, Ive been having a problem with my fzr600. When I go to take off (let clutch out) the bike starts to go but then immediately shuts off. I noticed headers 1 and 2 get nice and hot, but 3 and 4 are only slightly warm. I know I need to adjust 3 & 4 a little, but could this be my problem? Does the bike not have enough power to take off and so it just shuts off? Or is it a problem with my clutch adjustment? Gonna take a further look at it tomorrow, but I appreciate anyones input. Thanks!
et_miller_87
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Bike shuts off with clutch engaging

Post by et_miller_87 »

Not to imply that you don't know the difference, but, it sounds like 2 of the cylinders are not firing if the header only gets warm. Pull your spark plugs and tell us what each plug looks like. Pictures can say a thousand words!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
drodriguez398
Site Newbie

Post by drodriguez398 »

Plugs 1 and 2 looked good but 3 and 4 were wet and black. But all cylinders are getting a good spark, just put new plugs in tonight.
et_miller_87
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by et_miller_87 »

Wet and black means they were fouled out. At some point there was too much fuel and could not ignite. Could be a carb issue or simple as a few bad wires or not seated enough on the plug end or cable end. I'd start looking at those areas first

DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Be prepared to check your neutral switch and sidestand switch - if the TCI decides you're trying to ride off with the sidestand down, it will kill the engine. But check fuel and spark first, given the condition of your plugs.
drodriguez398
Site Newbie

Post by drodriguez398 »

I had the neutral switch and sidestand switch disconnected at one point, but pretty sure i plugged them both in i'll double check. But I feel like if either one of those were the problem the bike would immediately shut off once i put it in gear, not when I start to take off?
drodriguez398
Site Newbie

Post by drodriguez398 »

Just put new plugs in and ran the bike. Noticed 3 and 4 werent even wet or anything, but still had a good spark. Now im wondering if I just need to clean out the idle jets seems like 3 and 4 arent getting fuel.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Try cleaning the pilots, but they're so tiny it's hard to do a proper job. Sometimes it's quicker cheaper easier to just replace them.
drodriguez398
Site Newbie

Post by drodriguez398 »

Just finished cleaning the jets and discovered that on 3 and 4 the spring loaded plungers seem to be stuck. Thinking this may be the issue as the floats wouldn't 'bounce' when i tapped them. I have some spare ones so I'm gonna put them in and hopefully this fixes the issue!
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

That certainly doesn't help. Pop the oil fill cap off, check for fuel in the oil.
et_miller_87
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by et_miller_87 »

Get the problem fixed?