Race/Track Suspension and Tires

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

tatersalad314
Site Newbie

Race/Track Suspension and Tires

Post by tatersalad314 »

So I see plenty of information about swapping forks and rear suspension with R6 hardware. Is the stock suspension really that bad? I'm going to rebuild the stock forks with better springs, but I'm wondering how necessary it is to buy a $600 rear shock. What is so bad about the stock rear suspension? I'm a novice track day rider so I doubt I'm pushing the limits quite yet. Would a new stock rear shock be fine? I've never ridden around on my 91 since it is a rebuild.

Second, does anyone have experience on the track with a 110/70 front and a 150/60 rear? I've seen that is the most popular and I don't have plans to swap out the swing arm yet. Just curious how good quality tires of those sizes perform on the track. They've been used plenty in the past but don't compare to today's rubber on 17in wheels.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
DonTZ125

Re: Race/Track Suspension and Tires

Post by DonTZ125 »

For a racer with ambitions, an easily adjustable suspension is critical. For a track day rider who always goes to the same track, a fixed fork that has been set up for that rider is fine. Fresh springs of the appropriate rate, preload spacers cut to length (PVC is easier than aluminum), oil of the appropriate weight and height, and - optional, but really nice - cartridge emulators. If you're going to swap out the front end, I'd suggest 4TV YZF600 (standard) or YZF750 (USD) forks; these are fully-adjustable bolt-on replacements, so long as you install the entire front end.

The stock shock was never that great, even new. Now that it's worn out, it's junk. A used / rebuilt Fox can be had for less than the $600 you're mentioning (if you can find it). An R6 shock of the right year (some have the wrong mounts) can be had for much less, and is fully adjustable. Even for street riding, it's a good investment. For track riding and racing, you NEED that shock sorted out.
Last edited by DonTZ125 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Flaming by myself and by another poster removed. Locked 12 hours.
et_miller_87
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by et_miller_87 »

Hey tater, I guess we're out of time out now! Btw, I saw a fix shock for sale on this forum somewhere, probably in the for sale section

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
et_miller_87
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by et_miller_87 »

viewtopic.php?t=13772

Right there. Dunno if he still has it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
tatersalad314
Site Newbie