No clue what I'm doing

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

muchluv4lyrics
Site Newbie

No clue what I'm doing

Post by muchluv4lyrics »

Ok so folks I have a '93 fizzer that I just started working on sitting in my kitchen. It's my first bike, but I'm semi-handy so I'm trying to take on the job by myself. When I bought it it ran but cylinders 1 and 4 weren't firing. I brought it home and then brought it inside because the temp is starting to drop and I've heard all the horror stories of gas mucking up the engine and such. Now I can't even get it to turn over so, I bought a trickle charger to power up the battery so that I can check everything else but the genius 750 I got doesn't even recognize that it's hooked up to the bike. I'm thinking about getting the battery checked but the previous owner of the bike (who may also have been semi-handy) zip tied the battery to bike. So I guess my first question is should I cut the ties and get the battery checked? ImageImageImageImage
DonTZ125

Re: No clue what I'm doing

Post by DonTZ125 »

Yes. That said, the aftermarket inline fuse to the hot terminal and the "insulated" crimp terminal on the negative terminal wire bodes ill for the condition of the rest of your harness ... Check your fuses and the condition of your voltage regulator; once it's a bit more together you can do a coil check (does the problem stay on 1-4, or does the problem move to 2-3 when you swap primary coil leads. You may have a damaged ignition box.
evan_calgary
Site Newbie

Post by evan_calgary »

You have a multimeter? Check battery voltage if you do after charging for it bit. Its likely toast. Try a vehicle battery if you want to check as well. Like Don said, you best bet for diagnosis if to switch the coils. If you don't have a multimeter you will need to pick one up for this most likely. They are cheap and easy to use. WIring problems can be a pain, just keep at it and print off a wiring diagram (in color!).
TomJ
Site Newbie

Post by TomJ »

First. We must be kin! I've done the same thing in my kitchen (and had to park my old Triumph inside my living room on a large auto oil pan, to keep the bike from getting stolen).

Next, Harbor Freight for a cheap multitester (or if you actually have money, go to Grainger and get a Fluke - had mine for 30+ years now). Check batt, then do as the others have said. Suspect a coil if 1-4 not firing and they do when you swap leads (or just one to the adjacent, non-firing cylinder). Or, one of the drivers is burned out on the board of the ignitor. Easily repairable with soldering in a new transistor. Or get an ignitor box from a cycle scrap yard.

First batt though. I have two good FZR batts sitting on a solar trickle charger, perfect condition. If you were close, I'd toss you one. Cheap ones can be had at Wally world though (if your main prob is indeed the batt - I suspect it's more than one issue though)
“What matters is how quickly you do what your soul directs.” ― Rumi, The Essential Rumi