Changed Battery now no power

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Dero908
Site Newbie

Changed Battery now no power

Post by Dero908 »

Changed my battery in my 93 FZR600 last night to a cheap PepBoys battery. After i filled the battery with the acid and let it vent for 15min i connected the battery. While rushing in a dimly lit garage i connected the battery terminals backwards and it sat that way for about 3 minutes before i caught my mistake and switched the terminals to there correct places. There was no charge in the battery at this time. Once i had the battery connected correctly, i connected my battery charger and let it sit. After about a hour i tried turning the key to see what kind of life a hour had given the new battery and nothing. No lights, no dash, nothing. I figured that the batter is on a trickle charger and it just needs time. I let it charge over night and tried it this morning and again nothing. I checked all the fuses and from what i can see non are blown.

Would it be possible to damage the electronics with new uncharged battery connected backwards? if so, if the fuses are good, where would be the next place to start troubleshooting? I have already sourced what i think would need to be replaced but before i pull the trigger on parts i wanted to ask the forum for some ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike DeRosa

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/ ... _batteries
1993 FZR600
1996 YZF750R
AussieFZR
Site Newbie

Re: Changed Battery now no power

Post by AussieFZR »

Have u tried jumper leads from a car or other battery to test if your ignition n lights work?
Dero908
Site Newbie

Post by Dero908 »

I have not, after work today im going to pick up a new multimeter and one of those jumper packs and try some more troubleshooting tonight.
1993 FZR600
1996 YZF750R
Dero908
Site Newbie

Post by Dero908 »

So after confirming that the battery is fully charged im still in the same boat, connect everything, turn key and nothing. no lights, no dash, nothing. My next guess is maybe i fried the main relay or the ignition switch went bad when connecting the battery terminals backwards, Im still working on learning on how to test the main relay to see if its still good before i buy a new one.

If the main relay was to go bad would the lights/dash still light up?

and to meter out the ignition when switch to the on position what color wires do i apply the leads to?
1993 FZR600
1996 YZF750R
Dero908
Site Newbie

Post by Dero908 »

Looks like it was the main fuse. It was tucked down in the bike and i just didnt see it or even knew it existed, i figured all the fuses would be in the fuse box. Newb mistake.

Thanks for the replies!!!
1993 FZR600
1996 YZF750R
AussieFZR
Site Newbie

Post by AussieFZR »

That's great mate it was a simple fix and nothing burned out.