Electrically Lost

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Banshee350
Site Newbie

Electrically Lost

Post by Banshee350 »

Need some help and dont know where to go from here: Started having some starting problems earlier this year so I looked at the battery. Battery was a little weak and some of the cells were low. Refilled with distilled water and put the battery on a battery charger/maintainer. Seemed to help as bike started most of the time.

Since the starting issues, I installed some turn signals removing the integrated brake and turn signal kit in the process. All wiring was returned to stock. After installing, the right rear turn signal would stay lit while the bike was on and the light on the dash stayed on. Both signals still worked so I was just dealing with it.

Took the bike out one weekend, ran great for about half of the ride and then started run poorly. Rolling 6 gear about 70mph and bike would very slowly accelerate when throttle was taken to full throttle. Slowed to a slower speed and could hear the engine better and it sounded it was not firing on all cylinders. Stopped checked plug wires were installed and fired back up. Rode fine for about 2 miles and started doing it again. I was thinking fouled plug but could not do anything about so I had to ride home. Got home pulled plugs with Cylinder 1 running lean(white plug) and rest okay. Checked for spark at plug 1 and it was firing.

Did some searching on here and started to think it was the VR. So I printed out the troubleshooting tree from NAESLAS and was going to run through it. Checked the battery and it was really weak. I pulled the battery out and all the cells were extremely low. I just filled them about 2 months prior. Went and bought a new battery, fully charged it and went through the troubleshooting tree and it directed me towards a voltage leak and not the VR. Went ahead and checked the white wires at the VR connector and they were in between 40-60 volts. Also noticed that the red wire looked a little burnt, the connector a little melted and was getting warm to the touch while checking the wires.

So after all this, my question is can a voltage leak fry a battery and melt a connector or should I be looking somewhere else? And if I do have some type of short on that power wire, why is it not blowing the 30amp fuse? Help me!!!!

I have a 93 FZR600 and a Haynes Manual. Thanks for reading through this long post and any help given.
Dborne1
Site Newbie

Re: Electrically Lost

Post by Dborne1 »

As far as the lighting issue you have some wires connected wrong somewhere. And make sure you have the correct wattage bulbs. The driveability issue could be several things, but probably not your VR. The burnt connector is probably from over charging. Do your lights flicker when running or get brighter. It's a common problem. Check your charging voltage at your battery and replace that burned connector. Also check all your grounds to the battery, frame, and motor. They must be clean and tight. You should convert to I think 95 or newer fzr600 or r6 VR. Also make sure there is a good connection from VR to battery. The fuses sometimes get high resistance. Hope I could help. :thumbsup:
1992 Yamaha FZR600 california model. Bridgestone bt014's, 520 kit (14-47), rear spoils, Vance&Hines slip on, 1997 header w/o Exup, Gsxr600 steering stabilizer(custom set-up), R6 mirrors, (custom made) chain guard.Stock air box w/ K&N filter. Vortex bar end sliders.
Slotted pick up coil approx. 3 degrees.
Scorpion exo-700 helmet(San Diego House of Motorcycles)
Frank Thomas jacket (cycle Gear)customed zippers to fit-
my alpine stars pants(craigslist)
Held gloves ( bought in Greece) &
Alpine stars smx boots(craigslist)
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

The first thing i would check would be the fuse to see if (1) the guy that installed the integrated brake and turn signal kit didn't bypass the turn signal fuse somehow because the integrator pulled more power (follow wiring diagrams), (2) check to see if the fuse is the right amperage, he could have put a higher fuse in because the other was blowing from too much load. If these check out OK, start checking where the bikes grounds are (not just the negative terminal). If it doesn't have a good ground then the electricity will try to find another ground through something else by choosing the path of least resistance. If that doesn't work.. get some WD-40 and start disconnecting stuff and spraying WD-40 in the connectors and slipping them in and out to clean the plugs (don't worry, WD doesn't conduct electricity). While doing this check the back of the plug where the wires go into it. Now you've ruled out all of the connections. I don't know what red wire you are talking about, but if it's hot and melted, then it could be because you have too much load on the circuit, or because something is wired wrong(but a fues should blow). The integrator could have screwed up your turn signal relay, hopefully not, those are $150 from yamaha for just the one relay.

As far as it running crappy, i'd need more information, but look at your RPMs when it starts running crappy. If it always does it at a certain RPM range in 6th, then pay attention to how it feels in the other gears at the same RPM range, could be your carburetor diaphragms are warped and it's really noticeable at certain RPMs in different gears, but not likely. You could have a fuel filter coming apart too, i've had that happen, the fuel filter disintegrates and chunks start going into your carbs and clogging them up. Vacuum lines could be an issue..rubber gets warm and loose..runs crappy..you turn it off..rubber cools, shrinks and seals again. Or, If you are having a rough idle too, get a spray WATER bottle and spray each header pipe individually to see if one steams quicker than another or if any aren't steaming. But check your fuel filter and vacuum hoses dude.
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
Banshee350
Site Newbie

Post by Banshee350 »

Well tore into the bike last night and as far as the turn signal goes I found the problem. It was just the turn signals themselves not the bike. I pulled them off and hooked up another set I had lying around. Seem to be functioning now.

All the fuses are good and are the correct amperage. Charging voltage was good at the battery. Starting checking every ground I could find from turn signals, at the VR, Battery and anything else with a ground. Checked the negative battery cable down to the bolt on the motor and found that the wire was cut and soldered back together. It is one of the worse soldering jobs ever. One big cold solder joint and only about 5 strands making contact. I am going to replace the whole cable. Where is the frame ground at?

The red wire is on the connector to the VR(Three white and one red white). I will probably get a regulator just for a peace of mind.

The bike ran crappy in every gear at every rpm once I started having problems. I am pretty sure it was running on three cylinders. May just be a jetting problem or something. Once I finish tearing into the electrical stuff, I will start looking at fuel and carbs. I just cleaned every carb and replaced the fuel filter so I will see if I can find something there. Thanks for the suggestions.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Banshee350 wrote:
I will probably get a regulator just for a peace of mind.

I suggest doing this if you go that route:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=664
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!