pointybum
Site Newbie

cold drivability issues?

Post by pointybum »

91 fzr600 all stock minus vrr upgrade. recently full maintance job on it

So i live in texas where its always hot

bike runs like a champ in the heat

..and now winter rolled around and now it's not running as well

now i mainly drive it to work and school( i work at my school.lol) its roughly a 6 min drive

at normal outside temps 85+ degrees the bike warms up no problem(my temp gauge does not work so i can't confirm but it sure feels like its fully warmed)

lately temps have been in the low 30s. after my vrr swap it turns on with reltive ease. (i live on a "hill") so i have to sit there for a while(around five min) with the choke on before it can even make it up hill and on my way to whatever. I leave when i think the bike is warm. to me that is when i can turn the choke off and it won't die.

so what is happening is i will drive it and any throttle input there is a large delay. especally full throttle and its mainly low to mid range when its just falling flat on its face. no weird smoking. no funny smells. no poping/backfires.

lately i have been trying to experiment because i think the issues are either the bike is not warm enough at any point in my short drive or it is not getting enough fuel. because driving it (After i think its warm) with quarter choke seems to make things a little better. but still there is that hesitation.

now weather here is weird. so just last week it was 80+ a few days and 30s a few days. and again bike runs great in hot not so much in cold. so i don't think somethink new is happening with the bike im leaning towards i just need to have a better "tune" with the carbs

so 2 questions
#1 where can i get a new factory temp sensor so i can start monitering that

#2 what do you think it could be the cause of my hesitation or what else should i try to rule things out
91 fzr 600
r6 blue dot swap
r6 vrr
JohnBoy69
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: cold drivability issues?

Post by JohnBoy69 »

Sounds like your thermostat may be stuck open so the system can't warm up on a short run. You can feel the rad hoses to confirm this.

You can probably get the temp sender from a dealer or online/ ebay etc.

John
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it is.

1990 FZR600 Genesis 3HE
1993 Alfa Romeo
2008 Fiat